Immigration Explained

Trotz

Electoral Member
May 20, 2010
Alberta
Attended this presentation once and you'll be amazed how silent a room will get when the lecturer asks a question along the lines how sustainable Canada's social net would be with a billion inhabitants.

I think people are increasingly going to be forced to accept that being liberal and being an humanitarian is not a possible combination in the long run. The original liberals, from the 1770s to the 1970s, never paid much issue to the international developing world.
I think this is something we could write off as a macro change in media technology, when television sets were becoming increasingly common and we had shocking images of starvation from Africa and Asia being broadcasted every 10 seconds and this today continue to affect the pysche of older generations.

It's one thing when the starving children are all in some distant land; it's another when they are on the 5 o'clock news and it may be another when all the starving children are no longer on television but in our backyards.

Ironically, this is coming from someone who has been to poor and impoverished communities in Eastern Europe and Asia. Instead of walking away and concluding "let's bring them to Canada! They're cute!" in a 5 second analysis (like most people do; unfortunately), I actually thought it out longer than that and concluded the same could happen to Canada if our population densities were greater and if we had less resources.

Frankly I've met a lot of people in my age group who agree me. I don't attend right wing rallies or anything, I talk to university students and businessmen and they honestly don't have the zeal for third world food aid like older generations. But then keep in mind I grew up in the same generation where youngsters were in front of the television zapping the Nintendo Gun and ending (albeit virtual) human lives without second thought.

Last edited:

ironsides

Executive Branch Member
Feb 13, 2009
United States
Increasing populations and decreasing sources of food will lead to the collapse of any society. We just have to look at Africa and the Mid-East today all those riots going on are not just about politics, but also about the availability and cost of food.

ironsides

Executive Branch Member
Feb 13, 2009
United States
Missouri Ahead of the Game in Dealing with Illegal Immigrants

Editor's Note: The following appeared in our May 13 issue and is written by State Representative Nita Jane Ayres.

Nita Jane Ayres has agreed to write a follow-up editorial which will appear in our print edition on June 24. The follow-up will take a close look at the state's legislation and how it deals with illegal immigrants.

We’re down to one week to go in the legislative session and bills are moving through the process at a remarkable pace. My goal is to keep you updated on all the pieces of legislation that may be of interest to you and your family. In the coming weeks, I hope to do that. However, this week I want to talk about an issue that Missouri has already addressed in a variety of ways – the issue of illegal immigration. I’m sure you’ve seen the headlines about Arizona’s new law aimed at dealing with those who enter our country illegally. It has been called the strictest immigration law in generations. While Missouri hasn’t gone to the same lengths as Arizona, our state has made significant policy changes that effectively deal with illegal immigrants who enter our state. Because of those changes, Missouri is ahead of the game when compared to many other states that are now dealing with this issue.
In 2007, the Missouri General Assembly approved HJR 7 to place on the ballot a proposed constitutional amendment designating English as the official language of Missouri. Voters then went to the polls and approved the measure with nearly 90 percent voting in favor. With that, English became the official language for all governmental proceedings in Missouri. It also means no individual has the right to demand government services in a language other than English. A common language is the cornerstone of a cohesive and united state and country. Ensuring that English is our official language is simply common sense.

Missouri Ahead of the Game in Dealing with Illegal Immigrants

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
Other than the guy in the video, I've never heard anybody suggest immigration was a way of helping the poorer countries. I guess he is a slick ad man....invent a problem then come up with a solution. He probably invented the Slap Chop as well.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
With 3 Billion gumballs making less than $2 a day how the hell are the gumball banks going to make money from them? What a tragedy for the gumball banks.