Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
US Marine Corps vs. Sweden:

YouTube - American Vs Swedish Recruitment Ads

Canadian:

YouTube - Fight with the Canadian Forces

I find them interesting. If I had to give a quick response, I'd say the US Marines video is trying to say that joining them is a means to honor. The Canadian one seems to focus on fighting, albeit in the abstract to some degree, but also literally. The Swedish one I find to be harder to interpret. It seems to say to me that not everyone's life is easy, and so joining the military is a chance to serve. How do you interpret these or other recruitment videos from around the world?

Johnnny

Frontiersman
Jun 8, 2007
Third rock from the Sun
i interpret the canadian add to be upfront about what they do, and if you want to fight come on board.... I

I dont interpret the others ones cause im not from that country

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
I find them interesting. If I had to give a quick response, I'd say the US Marines video is trying to say that joining them is a means to honor.
Because it does. There is no such thing as an Ex Marine.

The Canadian one seems to focus on fighting, albeit in the abstract to some degree, but also literally.
Ya so? That's what Troopers do. Sometimes we're called on to be police. But we train to kill sh!t. Get used to it. Hopefully long gone are the days the LPoC pussification of a formidable fighting force. One that was once feared and for great reason.

The Swedish one I find to be harder to interpret. It seems to say to me that not everyone's life is easy, and so joining the military is a chance to serve.
It screams peacekeeping to me.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
Ya so? That's what Troopers do. Sometimes we're called on to be police. But we train to kill sh!t. Get used to it. Hopefully long gone are the days the LPoC pussification of a formidable fighting force. One that was once feared and for great reason.

Whoa horsey! I never said it was bad or anything. I was just giving an impression of what I thought it was trying to communicate. Heel horsey heel!

It screams peacekeeping to me.

How so?

Whoa, heel horsey! No, this is not meant as a criticism of your comment. Just asking out of curiosity.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
I found it strange that a Swedish recruitment ad was in English.

I did notice that. I've also noticed their patches have the word Sweden in English too. The PLA belt buckle is, or at least was, in English too. I had the opportunity to subtlely mock one of its members in China once. I just asked why it was in English, he said it was to make the PLA more international, and I just laughed a little.

Is there a stable around here somewhere?

Nope. I was just trying to calm a high-strung bear. But horsey just came across better.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Nope. I was just trying to calm a high-strung bear. But horsey just came across better.
Wow, what am I thinking right now. Since you're a mind reader and all.

Better yet, can you use those powers to tell me what the winning Lotto Max numbers will be tomorrow night?

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
So easy to get you all riled up bear... but I guess that's the nature of the beast.
Again, since you're a mind reader and all, what am I thinking right now and since you already gave Liberalman this weeks winning numbers, how about you throw me next weeks?

Last edited:

Bar Sinister

Executive Branch Member
Jan 17, 2010
Edmonton
Actually if you look at Canadian recruitment adds over the years the current ads indicate a profound change in emphasis. Prior to Canada's commitment in Afghanistan ads used to emphasize the humanitarian efforts of the military. The new emphasis on combat indicates that the ads are probably aimed at a different type of recruit - one who is more into the combat aspect of the military.

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
Actually if you look at Canadian recruitment adds over the years the current ads indicate a profound change in emphasis. Prior to Canada's commitment in Afghanistan ads used to emphasize the humanitarian efforts of the military. The new emphasis on combat indicates that the ads are probably aimed at a different type of recruit - one who is more into the combat aspect of the military.
The ones I remember stressed travel and gaining a career and I remember a little of a ditty, "There's no life like it....." lol. I don't remember anything about humanitarian efforts on tv.
I have no idea what the newer ads are saying except what you guys are saying here.

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
The US one plays on people's patriotism and some abstract sense of who or what you can become while the Canadian one tends to focus on the actual job. In that sense, the Canadian one is more honest.

The Swedish one would be more effective if they had more women soccer fans

I'd sign up for some of that