Iran cleric issues fatwa against dogs

Johnnny

Frontiersman
Jun 8, 2007
Third rock from the Sun
:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

If you ask me we definately need a ethics and culture class for religon cause i have no ****ing clue what these radicals in tehran are smoking

Iran cleric issues fatwa against 'unclean' dogs - Iran- msnbc.com

Western-style ownership of 'unclean' pets must stop, he says

TEHRAN - A senior Iranian cleric has decreed dogs are "unclean" and should not be kept as pets — a move aimed at discouraging Western-style dog ownership in the Islamic state, a newspaper reported on Saturday.Dogs are considered "unclean" under Islamic tradition but, while relatively rare in Iran, some people do keep them as pets.
By issuing a fatwa — a religious ruling — Grand Ayatollah Naser Makarem Shirazi has sent a clear message that this trend must stop.

"Friendship with dogs is a blind imitation of the West," he was quoted as saying in Javan daily. "There are lots of people in the West who love their dogs more than their wives and children."Guard dogs and sheep dogs are considered acceptable under Islamic law but Iranians who carry dogs in their cars or take them to public parks can be stopped by police and fined.
The Koran does not explicitly prohibit contact with dogs, Shirazi said, but Islamic tradition showed it to be so. "We have lots of narrations in Islam that say dogs are unclean."
The interpretation of religious rules on personal conduct is a constant source of debate and potential conflict in Iran which has been an Islamic republic since a revolution ousted the Western-backed Shah in 1979.
Morality crackdown
In a television interview last week, President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad weighed in on the issue of the Islamic dress code, saying women who fail to cover their hair completely should not be harassed by the police.
Morality police are conducting their annual crackdown and women who reveal strands of hair are liable to be stopped in the streets for failing to respect the dress code, or "hijab".
Ahmadinejad's surprisingly liberal view was condemned by fellow hard-liner politicians and senior clerics "I wish he had not said those words about the hijab," Grand Ayatollah Ahmad Jannati told the faithful during the week's Friday prayers, in a rare criticism of the president.
"We are grappling with many problems including economic and political ones but the issues of morality and ethical security are among the important issues that cannot be ignored," he said.
Tehran University has set up a think tank "to investigate the problems related to hijab", the representative of Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei to the university announced on Monday.

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
To a Muslim, Johnnny, a dog is the lowest form of life around.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
This is nothing new. The more traditional Muslim families here give dogs a wide berth, as the saliva is considered unclean, or haram. Working dogs are fine as they are not being cuddled, etc. They have many fatwa regarding cleanliness and hygeine. I don't really see what the big deal is if someone decides to not touch dogs.

Islamic Glossary: Fatwa

SirJosephPorter

Time Out
Nov 7, 2008
Ontario
This is nothing new. The more traditional Muslim families here give dogs a wide berth, as the saliva is considered unclean, or haram. Working dogs are fine as they are not being cuddled, etc. They have many fatwa regarding cleanliness and hygeine. I don't really see what the big deal is if someone decides to not touch dogs.

Islamic Glossary: Fatwa

I agree. Muslim fanatics have issued many outrageous, strange fatwas (fatwa against Salmon Rushdie, or fatwa in favor of adults breastfeeding), but this one does not seem as strange as some of the others.

Indeed, the love of pets (particularly dogs) is peculiar to the West. In most of the East, Middle East, orient etc., the only dogs owned are work dogs (dogs owned by the farmer, or guide dogs etc.). Most of the middle and upper middle classes to not own a pet. In that respect, he probably was describing what has already been happening.

Now, it may be that dog ownership is on the rise in Iran and as a reaction to that he issued the fatwa. And of course it is wrong to prevent people from owning dogs if they want to. But as fatwas go, this one does not seem all that strange.

Chiliagon

Prime Minister
May 16, 2010
Spruce Grove, Alberta
maybe they need to do a little research and find out that a dogs mouth is much cleaner than a humans.. OH maybe they need to declare a Fatwa against humans having their mouths open!!!!!

I think it's just being done in spite of Western Society.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Islam and animals - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

read up under the heading of dogs in this particular article... I doubt they had thumbing their noses at modern western society in mind when they wrote the quran or built Islamic culture. The only reason western society is mentioned in this cleric's discussion is because we have popularized the idea of keeping dogs, and thus some of their congregations are questioning why they are haram.

And btw, anytime anyone ever avoided my dog because she was haram to them, it was with a smile and an explanation, and a wish that it wasn't that way, not with disdain for western culture.

Johnnny

Frontiersman
Jun 8, 2007
Third rock from the Sun
And btw, anytime anyone ever avoided my dog because she was haram to them, it was with a smile and an explanation, and a wish that it wasn't that way, not with disdain for western culture.
you mean you just never met a radical iranian when your out walking your dog

I smell a jihad against the pet store