What's your opinion on Canada?

Icarus27k

Council Member
Apr 4, 2010
I see what ya did there. The old switcheroo. The old opposite shuffle. The old come about trade. The old... Replacing the USA from the old question with Canada thingy.

Icarus27k

Council Member
Apr 4, 2010
Oh, the unspeakable things that I (1) would do for a Klondike bar and (2) say about Canada.

Nah, I'm just joking. Canada's awesome. A great neighbor.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
What I am saying that Aboriginals that live on the reserve should pay taxes.
To whom and why?

A Reserve, is by statute, a Crown reservation, not subject to the applicable common law of the land. As seen on other Crown Reservations, such as Military bases. Which are held to Military Law, first. Unless otherwise legislated. As is with Treaty lands/Rights and Reservations.

Secondly, the majority of Native, Crown Reservations, are not incorporated, not ceded to the Crown, sovereign territory. Enacted and enforced by Treaty.

Those who live and work on said Crown Reservations, are not subject to taxation by the Crown, as laid out in specific and varying Treaties. Not all Native Reservations, nor Native peoples enjoy this Treaty right. As they are held to their specific Treaty, regarding how they are subject to or viewed as, by the Crown.

Furthermore, in several cases, Native Bands have ceded sovereignty to the Crown, in the form of incorporation, or ceded territory for financial profit. But this is an entirely different topic altogether, and the basis of much turmoil amongst the different Nations and Bands themselves.

Last edited by a moderator:

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
To whom and why?

A Reserve, is by statute, a Crown reservation, not subject to the applicable common law of the land. As seen on other Crown Reservations, such as Military bases. Which are held to Military Law, first. Unless otherwise legislated. As is with Treaty lands/Rights and Reservations.

Secondly, the majority of Native, Crown Reservations, are not incorporated, not ceded to the Crown, sovereign territory. Enacted and enforced by Treaty.

Those who live and work on said Crown Reservations, are not subject to taxation by the Crown, as laid out in specific and varying Treaties. Not all Native Reservations, nor Native peoples enjoy this Treaty right. As they are held to their specific Treaty, regarding how they are subject to or viewed as, by the Crown.

Furthermore, in several cases, Native Bands have ceded sovereignty to the Crown, in the form of incorporation, or ceded territory for financial profit. But this is an entirely different topic altogether, and the basis of much turmoil amongst the different Nations and Bands themselves.

You were WAY to nice.......but ya...I know......honey vs vinegar.

Last edited by a moderator:

eh1eh

Blah Blah Blah
Aug 31, 2006
Under a Lone Palm
My daughter in law is an aboriginal and she has a little card thingy,(that's my word of the day, thingy), that exempts her from sales tax. She only gets it out for the big stuff like when they built a fence and deck.That may just be an Ontario thingy though. She does pay income and all other taxes.

Icarus27k

Council Member
Apr 4, 2010
In many ways, Canada is better than the US. (Not in all ways. They are Lake Tahoe-less for example. Also, the Summer Olympics. 18 medals in 2008. That's like hardly any medals at all.) *Don't hurt me. Joking.*

But still, I think many Americans have an inferiority complex towards Canada.