just wondering about the governance of Canada ?

selin

Electoral Member
Feb 8, 2010
Turkey
Canada is very big and developed country and as far as i see, Canadians are very nationalist( but in reasonable way)... everything is normal but when it comes to that Canada is connected to U.K , the governor of U.K is the representative of Canada and he is considered to be superior to even Canada's goverment , it seems a bit strange. could you please explain the reason why it is so and whether that situation should be like this or not?

eh1eh

Blah Blah Blah
Aug 31, 2006
Under a Lone Palm
Canada is very big and developed country and as far as i see, Canadians are very nationalist( but in reasonable way)... everything is normal but when it comes to that Canada is connected to U.K , the governor of U.K is the representative of Canada and he is considered to be superior to even Canada's goverment , it seems a bit weird. could you please explain the reason why it is so and whether that situation should be like this or not?

The British monarchy has no actual legal authority in the governence of Canada. The relationship is simply to honor our heritage.

selin

Electoral Member
Feb 8, 2010
Turkey
The British monarchy has no actual legal authority in the governence of Canada. The relationship is simply to honor our heritage.

you mean that the control of everything belongs to Canada but the relationship is just an old custom of U.K as he does today by having old governance policy -monarchy-, there are no demands and pressure for some politcs or economics by U.K?

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
The law that created Canada as a nation, in 1867, was the British North America Act. Up until the very late 1960's, we were still a very Britain-based nation. That changed to reflect a more multi-cultural heritage (to the great disgust of some) Now, the only place in Canada that still harkens to its heritage is the province of Quebec.

eh1eh

Blah Blah Blah
Aug 31, 2006
Under a Lone Palm
you mean that the control of everything belongs to Canada but the relationship is just an old custom of U.K as he does today by having old governance policy -monarchy-, there are no demands and pressure for some politcs or economics by U.K?

Yes. I think you have the idea.

SirJosephPorter

Time Out
Nov 7, 2008
Ontario
Canada is very big and developed country and as far as i see, Canadians are very nationalist( but in reasonable way)... everything is normal but when it comes to that Canada is connected to U.K , the governor of U.K is the representative of Canada and he is considered to be superior to even Canada's goverment , it seems a bit strange. could you please explain the reason why it is so and whether that situation should be like this or not?

It is a tradition, in Canada we do many things by tradition. We have much more respect for traditions than Americans do.

Governor General really illustrates this point very well. I don’t consider myself a monarchist, if Canada didn’t have a monarchy, I would oppose its introduction into Canada. However, now that it is already here, I would be opposed to getting rid of it unless there is a very good reason for it (and I haven’t yet seen such a reason).

cdarro

Nominee Member
Feb 13, 2010
Alberta
The Queen of the UK being head of state of Canada and Canada's allegiance to her is simply a legal device whereby Canada can maintain her historic ties to the Crown. The Queen of the UK is also legally Queen of Canada (as per the Royal Styles and Titles Act) and is represented in Canada by the Governor General, who exercises all powers, authorities and functions belonging to the Queen in right of Canada. Canada is a sovereign nation, in no way legally or politically subordinate to the UK. With a few exceptions made at Canada`s request (amendment of the constitution and judicial appeals to the Imperial Privy Council, for example), this has been the case since the passage of the Statute of Westminster in 1931 (judicial appeals and some constitutional amendments were patriated in 1949; full constutional amending powers in 1982).

The position of the Governor General in the governance of Canada is somewhat similar to the position of a president in a parliamentary republic like Germany, Italy, Ireland, India, etc.

You might like to read the ``Letters Patent Establishing the Office of Governor General and Commander-in-Chief of and over Canada`` (sorry, I don`t have a copy at hand). These have been issued in 1878, 1905, 1931 and 1947, defining the office and powers of the Governor General. The office is not established by the Constitution Acts of 1867 or 1982, but by these Letters Patent.

Apologies for such a long reply.

Reactions: Niflmir

Liberalman

Senate Member
Mar 18, 2007
Toronto
How long have you been online?

OP - originating post, original poster ... it's not rocket science.

...and where is that link?

This refers to post number three

And I have been online for years and I never heard that term

Liberalman

Senate Member
Mar 18, 2007
Toronto
This was the post

The Prime Minister must get the permission of the Governor General to grant a prerogue and the GG can either grant it of not therefore the GG does have legal authority.

So the Goernor General does have teeth and not just symbolic Lone Wolf