What a Government should be .

china

Time Out
Jul 30, 2006
Ottawa ,Canada
A government would do well to reconsider and actually live and lead by the words of Thomas Jefferson, who said during his first inaugural address in 1801: "A wise and frugal Government, which shall restrain men from injuring one another, shall leave them otherwise free to regulate their own pursuits of industry and improvement, and shall not take from the mouth of labor the bread it has earned. This is the sum of good government."

Your point of view , Canadian "comrades" .

countryboy

Traditionally Progressive
Nov 30, 2009
BC
Well, let's see. I like the Jefferson version very much. Might need a bit of sprucing up to get it to today's Canadian standards. All we'd have to do is change that word "men" to include women, gays, lesbians, and any other visible minorities with a minimum population of 2 people.

I don't know what we'd do with the thousands of civil servants if we actually whittled the size of government down to that definition, but I'm sure we could come up with something.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
TJ the man..........We are sooooo far away from that.....I just discovered that to float my home-made kayak in the river behind my camp, I need a "boating card".......yeah RIGHT!Were I to run for office, I would not run on the concept of additional law, but on how much law I could throw out!!!!Start with mandatory automobile insurance....What am I saying??!!! Start with the Firearms Act. Anti-hate laws. oh what fun!Shame I'll never be PM.....

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
TJ the man..........We are sooooo far away from that.....I just discovered that to float my home-made kayak in the river behind my camp, I need a "boating card".......yeah RIGHT!Were I to run for office, I would not run on the concept of additional law, but on how much law I could throw out!!!!Start with mandatory automobile insurance....What am I saying??!!! Start with the Firearms Act. Anti-hate laws. oh what fun!Shame I'll never be PM.....
Yer talkin' anarchy there bub! Wittle down government and the laws and you put half the population out of work. I see a lynchin' if you take the PM. I think it is lucky for you you won't be PM although it is exactly what this country needs - a good enema!

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
Personally, I think good government would be;

a peaceful one

one whose policies benefit all the constituents, not just this or that group

one that protects its constituents from corporate greed, ill-thought laws, criminals, etc.

an open one that accepts responsibility

one that pays attention to the needy, not the rich (who are pretty well able to fend for themselves)

one that highly values environments and ecologies and doesn't let up on companies/individuals who perpetrate infractions against environments

one whose reps first consideration is people, not profit or their pensions

one that upholds and obeys the rules of law

one that not afraid to ask the public for its wishes instead of taking it for granted that it knows what people wish

Just off the top of my head. :)

Niflmir

A modern nomad
Dec 18, 2006
Leiden, the Netherlands
Government started off as the monkey with the biggest stick telling all the other monkeys what to do.

Eventually the monkeys realized that if they teamed up, they could beat up the monkey with the stick, and democracy was born.

Nowadays, the monkey with the stick is back, but with a different tactic: dangle a banana off the end of the stick. We monkeys haven't learned that we will never get the banana, or we've learned but don't know what to do about it.