Rwanda becomes the 54th member of the Commonwealth

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
The tiny central African nation of Rwanda has become the 54th member of the Commonwealth.

Commonwealth Heads of Government meeting in Trinidad & Tobago have admitted Rwanda into the organisation because it has shown "tremendous progress" over the last 15 years.

Despite it being a former Belgian colony, Rwanda prefers having closer ties with Britain and the Commonwealth rather than joining the Francophonie (the French-speaking equivalent of the Commonwealth) as it blames France for supporting the forces that went on to instigate the 1994 genocide in which almost a million Rwandans were killed.

A country does NOT need to be a former British colony to be a member of the Commonwealth. For example, the former Portuguese colony of Mozambique is a member.

Rwanda's admission was supported, amogst others, by Britain, Australia, Canada, India, Trinidad & Tobago, Uganda, Tanzania, Kenya and South Africa.

Despite it being a former Belgian colony, Rwanda seems to be more of a former British colony. Like many othger Commonwealth members, such as Britain, India, Pakistan, South Africa, Sri Lanka, Australia and New Zealand, cricket is popular there, being introduced by Rwandans who took refuge in English-speaking Uganda during the genocide.

As outlined in the Singapore Declaration, the purpose of the Commonwealth is the promotion of democracy, human rights, good governance, the rule of law, individual liberty, egalitarianism, free trade, multilateralism and world peace.

Sudan, Algeria (another country not likely to join the Francophonie), Madagascar, Yemen, Israel and Palestine have also applied for membership.

Rwanda becomes a member of the Commonwealth

BBC News
Sunday 29th November 2009

Some 800,000 people were killed in Rwanda's genocide in 1994

The Commonwealth has admitted Rwanda as its 54th member.

The African country was admitted at the Commonwealth Heads of Government Meeting in Trinidad and Tobago, a statement from the group said.

A Rwandan minister said the move showed his country's "tremendous progress" over the last 15 years.

Full name: Republic of Rwanda
Population: 10 million (UN, 2009)
Capital: Kigali
Area: 10,169 sq miles (slightly smaller than Switzerland)
Major languages: Kinyarwanda (official), French (official), English (official), Swahili
Major religions: Christianity, indigenous beliefs
Life expectancy: 48 years (men), 52 years (women) (UN)
Monetary unit: 1 Rwandan franc = 100 centimes
Main exports: Coffee, tea, hides, tin ore
GNI per capita: US $410 (World Bank, 2008 )
Internet domain: .rw
International dialling code: +250

The former colony of Germany and Belgium is the second country to be admitted without a British colonial past or constitutional link to Britain.

Mozambique is the only other Commonwealth member without historic UK ties.

It joined the organisation 14 years ago.

Information Minister Louise Mushikiwabo is quoted by the online edition of the Rwandan daily New Times as saying Rwanda was pleased by its admission.

"My government sees this accession as recognition of the tremendous progress this country has made in the last 15 years," she said

"Rwandans are ready to seize economic, political, cultural and other opportunities offered by the Commonwealth network."

Reservations

A report in July by the Commonwealth Human Rights Initiative (CHRI) urged Rwanda to tackle a lack of political freedom and harassment of journalists before it was admitted.

It also articulated deep reservations over the country's human rights record.

"CHRI acknowledges that Rwanda has what appears to be a well-deserved reputation for governmental efficiency and for being less corrupt than a number of other countries - but its claims about the lack of corruption appear hollow when considering its complicity in the illicit economy of the region," the report said.

Rwanda expressed its desire to join the Commonwealth in 2008, despite its historic association with Francophone countries.

Relations between France and Rwanda have been poor for years.

A French judge implicated Rwanda's President Paul Kagame in the Rwandan genocide of 1994, an accusation which he rejected.

The Rwandan government has accused France of having backed the forces that went on to instigate the genocide.

The Rwandan New Times said Rwanda's bid to join the group was supported by Britain, Australia, Canada and India.

It also had the backing of Uganda, Kenya, Tanzania, South Africa and the host country Trinidad and Tobago, among others.

What would the Commonwealth do for Rwanda?

Rwandans who were forced to flee to English-speaking Uganda brought back a passion for cricket when they returned

By Will Ross
BBC News, Kigali
Friday 27th November 2009

The head of Kigali Independent University has a problem. Professor Alphonse Ngagi has just overseen the switch from using French to English as the teaching language. But the professor himself does not yet speak English.

"All the lessons are in English but the French will never leave the students' heads so they will still use it," said Professor Ngagi.

"We are putting a lot of emphasis on English because it is not yet widely spoken here and after all it is the international language."

Downstairs, the noticeboards are all in English.

There is a special message for a student expelled for cheating during a quantitative methods test - written in English, of a sort.

"Your reintegration will be conditioned by a written forgiveness request and the engagement to confirm yourself to the university based on ethic values," the letter states.

Across town there is further evidence of Rwanda's attempts to encourage English.

Rwandans have embraced the English game of cricket

"Wait. Yes, run!" shouts Eric Dusingizimana as he scampers a quick single. Yes, you've guessed it - some Rwandans are playing cricket.

"I saw the Indians playing it and then my coach came to our school and now it is my game," said Mr Dusingizimana who - when he is not studying civil engineering - opens the batting for Rwanda.

Rwandans exiled in English-speaking Kenya and Uganda due to conflict, learnt the game there and brought it back when they returned after the 1994 genocide.

President Paul Kagame was exiled in Uganda too, though I have no idea if he played cricket. If he had tried his hand at the game, he might have made a wily spin-bowler or a difficult-to-get-out batsman.

Worsening ties

Rwanda's decision to become Anglophone and turn its back on La Francophonie is not surprising.

As well as trade opportunities, relations between France and Rwanda have been poor for years with the Rwandan government accusing France of having backed the forces that went on to instigate the genocide.

Despite having no historical link to Britain, Rwanda is trying to become the 54th member of the Commonwealth.

But not everybody thinks it should be allowed into this club of mostly former British colonies.

The country may have come a long way since the genocide 15 years ago in terms of security and governance, but human rights groups paint a grim picture.

A recent report by the Commonwealth Human Rights Initiative (CHRI) urges Rwanda to tackle a lack of political freedom and harassment of journalists before it can be admitted.

It is as though people are in a communist era where people are scared to talk

Jean Bosco Gasasira

"CHRI acknowledges that Rwanda has what appears to be a well-deserved reputation for governmental efficiency and for being less corrupt than a number of other countries - but its claims about the lack of corruption appear hollow when considering its complicity in the illicit economy of the region, and its plunder of the DRC's natural resources," the report reads.

His critics describe Frank Habineza, who is trying to set up the Democratic Green Party of Rwanda, as a mere opportunist but the party would provide an opposition to President Paul Kagame's RPF.

But he complains of harassment by state agents and says efforts to register the party have been blocked.

He told me that several party representatives have been locked up recently, including Gaston Bihibihindi who was trapped near his home by soldiers.

"He was kicked and slapped and asked why he was recruiting people for the party.
Then he was taken to a prison inside the ministry of defence and he stayed there for four days without food," said Mr Habineza.

"He just wants to make publicity for himself so the party gets some new members," is how Eugene Munyakayanza, the permanent secretary in the foreign affairs ministry, sees it.

He dismissed the report by the CHRI as lies and suggested the authors were working alongside those who carried out the genocide.

Mr Munyakayanza insisted that Rwanda was a leader when it came to democracy and human rights.

'Oppressive laws'

But one encounter troubled me on this visit - I asked a man in his twenties playing football what he made of Rwanda's switch from French to English.

He looked at me and said: "Sorry, I don't have permission to speak to you."

If that is not a sign of a climate of fear, then I do not know what is.

Journalist Jean Bosco Gasasira has scars on his head and arm - the results, he says, of being beaten into a coma by state agents two years ago after writing critical articles about people in high places.

When Mr Gasasira suspected a state agent was tracking him, we moved to his car to continue the interview.

"We are tired of oppressive laws which are designed to suppress citizens," he said.
"It is as though people are in a communist era where people are scared to talk.

When you do talk they'll beat you up and you may end up dying or in prison with false allegations made against you," he added.

"Paul Kagame has done many things, including bringing back security to Rwanda and governance, but we also need security in people's hearts - people need to be free to speak."

In the foreign affairs ministry, Mr Gasasira was dismissed as a self-publicist and a liar.

"If he was persecuted he would not be able to live freely in Rwanda," said Mr Munyakayanza.

As I left the Chinese-built ministry, two Chinese businessmen walked in and I wondered whether the whole Francophone v Anglophone issue was really a sideshow to a far more important friendship for Rwanda.

Back at the university, Professor Ngagi was off to his afternoon appointment with an English teacher.

"Next year I will be able to do the interview in English," he said.

But he added that perhaps learning Chinese might also be a good idea.

news.bbc.co.uk

Last edited: