British Diplomat's Opinion of Canada

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
lol
I guess we should feel crushed. Funny, though, I don't seem to feel bothered by some nitwits views of us.

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
The only people who would be bothered by this are people who think that Brits matter. Personally, I don't think they do.

Who cares what some in-bred twit in London thinks? The world is passing Britain by, and we should do the same.

LikelyGuy

Usually Confused
Sep 7, 2009
The Cariboo
I went on to read the comments section and most of those who posted (presumably Canadians) agreed with his comment. As one said: "Much ado about nothing."

barney

Electoral Member
Aug 1, 2007
Heh, I was going to post a thread on this but figured no one would be interested.

Here's the quote (Lord Morgan's 1984 reference to Canada):

"Anyone who is even moderately good at what they do -- in literature, the theatre, skiing or whatever -- tends to become a national figure. And anyone who stands out at all from the crowd tends to be praised to the skies and given the Order of Canada at once,"

lol
I guess we should feel crushed. Funny, though, I don't seem to feel bothered by some nitwits views of us.

No? Perhaps 'ashamed' might be a more appropriate emotional response.

A massive country with vast resources of every kind and only a band of Yanks to deal with...what do we have to show for it? Zip. (Oh yes I forgot: there's health-care...ooooooooo what an accomplishment! And even with a population smaller than that of Spain, we still can't seem to make that work.)

Funny, then Canadians wonder why we're USA's bitch. Too bad it takes a "nitwit" to say it like it is.

The only people who would be bothered by this are people who think that Brits matter. Personally, I don't think they do.

Who cares what some in-bred twit in London thinks? The world is passing Britain by, and we should do the same.

Tiny ol' Britain has a far more diverse population than Canada that is more than double the size of this country's, the Canadian military is a fly next to Britain's (not to mention Britain could nuke us into the stone age a few times over--wouldn't be a great drop in living standards), their social system is much more progressive than that of Canada as is their parliamentary system, they control some of the most powerful companies on Earth and the political clout they carry internationally, even with the end of the Empire is immense.

Do Brits matter? ...Is Canada an ex-British colony?

Sure they're Uncle Sam's attack dog...still far better than being his bitch.

Besides, what does it matter if Morgan's British? The statement is well-put and to the point: Canadians are mediocre. It's the truth no matter who says it.

If there's one thing Brits know how to do its to put things in direct and concise terms. Nice change from the usual politically-correct bull****.

Hopefully Canadians will take good long look in the mirror before laughing this off.

china

Time Out
Jul 30, 2006
Ottawa ,Canada
barney ,

Canadians are mediocre. It's the truth no matter who says it.
Allot of people ,from allot of countries know that ; except the ones from Canada . I can give many examples but...got to go now.

china

Time Out
Jul 30, 2006
Ottawa ,Canada
Quoting AnnaG lol

'ashamed', emotional response ? who? .....don't think so -you ,it's to high and above .

Last edited:

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
Heh, I was going to post a thread on this but figured no one would be interested.

Here's the quote (Lord Morgan's 1984 reference to Canada):

"Anyone who is even moderately good at what they do -- in literature, the theatre, skiing or whatever -- tends to become a national figure. And anyone who stands out at all from the crowd tends to be praised to the skies and given the Order of Canada at once,"

A massive country with vast resources of every kind and only a band of Yanks to deal with...what do we have to show for it? Zip. (Oh yes I forgot: there's health-care...ooooooooo what an accomplishment! And even with a population smaller than that of Spain, we still can't seem to make that work.)

Funny, then Canadians wonder why we're USA's bitch. Too bad it takes a "nitwit" to say it like it is.

Tiny ol' Britain has a far more diverse population than Canada that is more than double the size of this country's, the Canadian military is a fly next to Britain's (not to mention Britain could nuke us into the stone age a few times over--wouldn't be a great drop in living standards), their social system is much more progressive than that of Canada as is their parliamentary system, they control some of the most powerful companies on Earth and the political clout they carry internationally, even with the end of the Empire is immense.

Do Brits matter? ...Is Canada an ex-British colony?

Sure they're Uncle Sam's attack dog...still far better than being his bitch.

Besides, what does it matter if Morgan's British? The statement is well-put and to the point: Canadians are mediocre. It's the truth no matter who says it.

If there's one thing Brits know how to do its to put things in direct and concise terms. Nice change from the usual politically-correct bull****.

Hopefully Canadians will take good long look in the mirror before laughing this off.
*shrugs* Like Britain is the cat's meow? lol

Here are some "mediocre" Canadians:

List of Canadians - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Here's an example of some mediocre technology:

Canadarm (SRMS)

January 9th, 2008 Expose This
Design: MDA (formerly Spar Aerospace – under contract to the CSA)
Manufacturer: MDA, Brampton, ON.
Date: launched 1981

I could go on about little old mediocre Canada, but you aren't worth the effort.

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
If this is a bash the Brits thread, please check you're not standing in a greenhouse.
Actually it's just the thread about the Brits bashing Canada. At least that's what I gathereed about the OP. If comments like "Who cares what the Brits think of us" is Brit bashing, then someone is a wee bit too sensitive.

china

Time Out
Jul 30, 2006
Ottawa ,Canada
*What a ****ing joke this anal retentive province has become.:lol:*

Ont. man fined $305 for smoking in workplace - his truck
By Alan Black (CP) – 1 day ago

It is not only the province of Ont ., It is whole Canada that becomes a joke when people allow the government to invade their private life .
You are a one big kinder-garden .

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
barney ,

Allot of people ,from allot of countries know that ; except the ones from Canada . I can give many examples but...got to go now.
And China is a source of nirvana? roflmao

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
Last edited:

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
To borrow from Mr. Snapper:

If this is a bash Canada thread, please check you're not standing in a greenhouse.

Johnnny

Frontiersman
Jun 8, 2007
Third rock from the Sun
put it this way.... he said we were plain because he couldnt really think of anything good to say.... Plain is what people like, believe it or not.... Down to earth, we appreciate all our intellectuals whatever level they are at.

life is too short to be show boating our culture, thats how wars start.

Johnnny

Frontiersman
Jun 8, 2007
Third rock from the Sun
Or mabye he was jealous of our beautiful country. Im part of a british based online outdoors forum, and honestly unless they are packing a lunch to another country they dont have what we have. And everytime i showcase the forests of canada to them, they envy it....

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
barney ,

Like your opinion matters. How's your sweatshop doing these days, China? Making fat profits on the backs of your Chinese indentured servants?