David Cameron: ready to lead Britain through 'tough times' ahead

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
With the Labour Government and Prime Minister Gordon Brown about as popular as saveloy at a kibbutz, it is very likely that Tory leader David Cameron will become Britain's 53rd Prime Minister after the 2010 General Election, which must be held in June at the latest.

Today was the last day of the Tory Party Conference in Manchester and, as is tradition in party conferences, the party leader rounds everything off with a speech.

Today, Mr Cameron, a direct descendant of King William IV, told his party’s conference that he has the character, temperament and judgment required to be Prime Minister and see Britain though an economic and social "crisis" to a better future.

Cameron pledged that a Tory government would send more troops to Afghanistan, break the cycle of welfare dependency, such as those living on incapacity benefits, reform the police, prosecutors and prisons and will cut back National Health Service waste and red tape.

“I have no illusions. If we win this election, it is going to be tough,” Mr Cameron said. “I will be tested. I’m ready for that.”

He also promised that a Tory government would win back powers from the anti-democratic EU.

After the speech, Mr Cameron's wife, Samantha, joined him on stage during a rapturous applause from the Tory Party faithful, but there was no repeat of last week's nauseating scenes when the Prime Minister's wife, Sarah, made a speech during the Labour Party Conference telling us all how much she loves Brown and saying he is "my husband, the leader of the Labour Party, your prime minister" before Brown himself came on stage to make his speech to the strains of "(Your Love Keeps on Lifting Me) Higher and Higher", by Jackie Wilson (unlike Americans, the British can't stomach such sickly sweet, luvvie-duvvie rubbish in their politics).

Britain has had a Labour Government since 1997 when Tony Blair won in a landslide, ending 18 years of Tory rule.

David Cameron: ready to lead Britain through 'tough times' ahead

David Cameron, the Conservative leader, has said he is ready to lead Britain through the “tough” times ahead and insisted: “We will get through this together.”

By James Kirkup, at the Conservative party conference in Manchester
08 Oct 2009
The Telegraph

Family man: David Cameron addressing the party conference today

Mr Cameron told his party’s conference that he has the character, temperament and judgment required to be Prime Minister and see Britain though an economic and social "crisis" to a better future.

After a week in which his party has set out a range of potentially unpopular plans to rebalance the budget, including pay freezes and increased retirement ages, Mr Cameron struck a more optimistic tone.

“We all know how bad things are, massive debt, social breakdown, political disenchantment. But what I want to talk about today is how good things could be,” he said. “There are reasons to believe. Yes it will be a steep climb. But the view from the summit will be worth it.”

Instead of dwelling on the detail of his policies, Mr Cameron used his address to outline a Conservative philosophy based on community and social responsibility.

Tearful: Samantha Cameron welled up as her husband spoke about the death of their son Ivan earlier this year

He said. “Ask me what a Conservative government stands for and the answer is this, we will reward those who take responsibility, and care for those who can’t.”

In a break with Thatcherite arguments that “there is no such thing as society,” he insisted that only co-operation between individuals, groups and organisations will solve Britain’s problems.

If the Tories win the 2010 General Election, here are some of the people who would be running Great Britain:

David Cameron: Prime Minister
George Osborne: Chancellor of the Exchequer
William Hague: Foreign Secretary
Chris Grayling: Home Secretary
Liam Fox: Defence Secretary
Dominic Grieve: Justice Secretary
Andrew Lansley: Health Secretary
Caroline Spelman: Communities and Local Government Secretary
Theresa Villiers: Transport Secretary
Mark Francois: Secretary of State for Europe
Grant Schapps: Minister for Housing
Michael Gove: Secretary of State for Children, Schools and Families

“We will not make it if we pull in different directions, follow our own interests, take care of only ourselves,” he said. “If we pull together, come together, work together, we will get though this together.”

Mr Cameron went on to describe a country where the state plays a smaller role in people’s lives and communities and where public services like health, education and the police are reformed to respond to local communities’ needs.

During the speech, he revealed that Iain Duncan Smith, the former Conservative leader, would get a job in a Tory government, overseeing work to deal with Britain’s “broken society.”

All smiles: David and Samantha Cameron after his emotional address

Seal of approval: David and Samantha Cameron share a kiss on stage

Mr Cameron also confirmed that General Sir Richard Dannatt, the former Army chief, will be nominated as a Tory peer and “could serve in a Conservative Government.”

He also promised to send more British soldiers to Afghanistan in a bid to bring the war to a speedier end.

Polls show that despite Labour’s unpopularity, the Conservatives have not yet achieved the levels of support that would mean they can be certain of a working majority in the Commons after the next election.

So the central theme of Mr Cameron’s speech was an attempt to reassure wavering voters that he and the Conservatives are ready to govern after 13 years in opposition.

Top team? The shadow cabinet sat on the stage for the keynote speech

Pitch for PM: William Hague and George Osborne clapping on stage (l) and Mrs Cameron in the front row at the conference hall

Key moment: Today's conference speech was Mr Cameron's last before a general election next May, when the Tories are tipped to win power

Packed: The Camerons are applauded by the party faithful

Underlining the point, Mr Cameron said he was personally qualified for the premiership.

“I have no illusions. If win this election, it is going to be tough,” he said. “I will be tested. I’m ready for that.”

He added: “I know that whatever plans you make in Opposition, it’s the unpredictable events that come to dominate a government. And it’s your character, your temperament and your judgment, not your policies and your manifesto – that really make the difference.”

In a deeply personal speech, Mr Cameron returned repeatedly to what he described as "my DNA: family, community, country".

He recalled the death earlier this year of his son Ivan, which he said had made him question whether he wanted to continue in politics.

Power couple: David Cameron and his wife Samantha arriving at the Tory party conference hall in Manchester this afternoon

When six-year-old Ivan, who had cerebral palsy and epilepsy, died in February after a lifetime of health complications it was like "the world stopped turning", he told activists in Manchester.

He said that for all the achievements the party had made since its last annual gathering, for him and his wife the devastating loss would be the only thing the period was associated with.

"For me and Samantha this year will only ever mean one thing. When such a big part of your life suddenly ends nothing else - nothing outside - matters at all.

"It's like the world has stopped turning and clocks have stopped ticking. And as they slowly start to turn again, weeks later, you ask yourself all over again: do I really want to do this.

"You think about what you really believe in; what it is that sustains you."

And he paid tribute to his wife Samantha, watching from the front row, for "sustaining" him at a time when "it's like the world has stopped turning and the clocks have stopped ticking."

Fighting fit: David Cameron out jogging this morning before his speech

Giving chase: The press pack run to keep up with Mr Cameron, second left

telegraph.co.uk

Last edited:

SirJosephPorter

Time Out
Nov 7, 2008
Ontario
Telegraph is a far right publication, Blackleaf. Telegraph is Britain’s version of FOX news or Rush ‘drug addict’ Limbaugh. I still remember its sycophantic attitude towards Mrs. Thatcher. So of course it is going to do a puff piece on the Tory leader.

During Thatcher rule, Telegraph put forth plenty of extreme right ideas. One of them was to get rid of the railways, Telegraph wanted to pour concrete over the rail tracks and use it as a road system. Another was to get rid of PAYE tax deductions. Telegraph wanted the government to ask people for their tax money at the end of the year, nicely.

Even the extremist government like Thatcher did not adopt most of Telegraph’s ideas. I understand Cameron is much more towards the center than Thatcher, he probably will be a bitter disappointment to Telegraph.