Are Arabs Egyptians? Multiculuturalism Here

dumpthemonarchy

House Member
Jan 18, 2005
Vancouver
www.cynicsunlimited.com
The official name is the Arab Republic of Egypt

I think Arabs are multicultural in their own way and like us too. Think of Egypt, whenever we say the word Egyptian do we mean Arab? Saying ancient Egyptian does make it clearer. But to walk like an Egyptian does not mean walk like an Arab. This is a kind of multiculturalism I find intriguing because Arabs are also Jordanians and Libyans and its no big deal, but to take over an ancient land whose name reverberates through the ages is another story.

Like in Canada, we don't speak Cdn, we speak English. Arabs in Egypt don't speak Egyptian, they speak Arabic. The French in France speak French. Poland, Germany etc.

Liberalman

Senate Member
Mar 18, 2007
Toronto
We speak Canadian in Canada In Quebec they speak francophone not french.

Francophone is french from how the old sailors talked mostly gutter talk.

A french person from France gets offended when talking to a person in Quebec and the people of France view people of Quebec the same way as the way white America lokked at the Afro-Americans in the old days.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
Most modern Egyptians are Arabs, but not most Arabs aren't Egyptian. Historically, Arabs were more or less limited to the Gulf states. Through the spread of Islam, their religion, language and cultrue spread. In countries where the spoken language was a semitic language like Arabic, the local Muslims willingly abandoned their local languages in exchange for Arabic, willing assimilation essentially. In countries where the mother-tongue was not a semitic language, such as Iran, they kept their language and culture, and did not assimilate. As a result, while most Iranians today are Persian, most North Africans today are now Arab.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON

A french person from France gets offended when talking to a person in Quebec and the people of France view people of Quebec the same way as the way white America lokked at the Afro-Americans in the old days.

Do you know what you're talking about?

Andem

dev
Mar 24, 2002
Larnaka

I don't think he knows what he's talking about. Francophone = French Speaker.

n. A French-speaking person, especially in a region where two or more languages are spoken.
adj. French-speaking.

Obviously has no idea what he's talking about.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
I don't think he knows what he's talking about. Francophone = French Speaker.

Obviously has no idea what he's talking about.

Obviously. The French spoken in Montreal is rather bastardized (I call it the Montreal patois) but the French spoken up north is very old French and makes Parisian French look anglicized. My ex was from Chicoutimi and when she spoke it was almost like singing.

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
Do you know what you're talking about?
lol I was wondering if I was the only one who couldn't decypher that. I think he meant that French Canadians speak some language called "Francophone", not French.
Francophone is defined as a person who speaks French.

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
Obviously. The French spoken in Montreal is rather bastardized (I call it the Montreal patois) but the French spoken up north is very old French and makes Parisian French look anglicized. My ex was from Chicoutimi and when she spoke it was almost like singing.
Funny. We have a Belgian friend who was told once to learn how to speak French properly by a French Canadian. He used to teach English in Belgium. So you can probably gather that his French was pretty good, too.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
Just to clarify, European French is just as dialectic as Canadian French. Before 1930, the majority of the population of France spoke French as a second-language.

AnnaG

Hall of Fame Member
Jul 5, 2009
And the English could learn how to use our language, too, dammit. lol

Didja know, to a geneticist, there's only one human race?

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON

To a geneticist? What do geneticists have to do with the Olympic Games? We have races every four years, didn't ya know?

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
Reminds me of when I was stationed in Lahr,Germany - French Canadian soldiers purchased antennas so they could watch TV from France - Well the stations in France when showing programs from Quebec added subtitles in French - My oh my were they upset -
Myself I thought it was hilarious
Along the lines of Churchill I believe - not positive on the exact quote - England and the US - 2 great countries separated by a common language -

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving

Then if it is a race why is their only one? Seems unfair now doesn't it -

Zzarchov

House Member
Aug 28, 2006
Most modern Egyptians are Arabs, but not most Arabs aren't Egyptian. Historically, Arabs were more or less limited to the Gulf states. Through the spread of Islam, their religion, language and cultrue spread. In countries where the spoken language was a semitic language like Arabic, the local Muslims willingly abandoned their local languages in exchange for Arabic, willing assimilation essentially. In countries where the mother-tongue was not a semitic language, such as Iran, they kept their language and culture, and did not assimilate. As a result, while most Iranians today are Persian, most North Africans today are now Arab.

Not quite. That's like saying North America speaks English and Spanish "due to the spread of Christianity". Egypt is Arab due to colonialism, there are still Coptics (about 20% of the population), even Egyptians who converted were treated as Malawi and inferior to Arabs.

Another reason I laugh when in Gaza, part of Egypt, they complain about "Zionist Colonialism", those on conquered land with an oppressed native population shouldn't complain about being colonized themselves, like a mugger complaining about being robbed before he could pawn all the stuff he just acquired.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
Not quite. That's like saying North America speaks English and Spanish "due to the spread of Christianity". Egypt is Arab due to colonialism, there are still Coptics (about 20% of the population), even Egyptians who converted were treated as Malawi and inferior to Arabs.

Another reason I laugh when in Gaza, part of Egypt, they complain about "Zionist Colonialism", those on conquered land with an oppressed native population shouldn't complain about being colonized themselves, like a mugger complaining about being robbed before he could pawn all the stuff he just acquired.

In most of Northern Africa, it was willing assimilation and inter-mingling between Arabs and North Africans, with the integration always going in the direction of the Arabs. Islam played a significant role in uniting Arabia.

Thats's not to say colonialism didn't occur either of course.

Zzarchov

House Member
Aug 28, 2006
Willing assimilation isn't what I'd call it where even if you convert to islam you are still a second class citizen. For willing assimilation there sure were a lot of coptic rebellions against their Arab overlords.