Mexico - Drug Cartels - Killing - Violence

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
Some people are calling Mexico a failed state. The drug cartels run the country. It's probably safer in Iraq than Mexico these days.

Questions:

Do drug users in the US and Canada have blood on their hands?

Would legalizing drugs resolve the problems? How?

Should the US use the military to cut off the entire border?

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
Yes, I'm with the military idea, although the military would also have to watch the
seas and the skys, as while they were handling the border, the drug planes would be flying over their heads, and the drug ships would be chugging up the coasts right
by them.
All the thousands who went to iraq could have put that energy into the north american war, which is drugs, and it is killing far too many and puts the innocent
in danger from the crime committed by the drug users who need money to
buy their drugs.

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
Could the Military actually cut off the entire border? The Mexicans
have had a lot of practice getting across that border. They've got to
be pretty good at it by now. 8O

CanadianLove

Electoral Member
Feb 7, 2009
I heard a Couple of years back that the last majorly publisized piece of fence that Bush installed was in the line of $1M/mile. I saw some on a trip through El Paso of the type they dicribed. It had to be 12' tall with razor wire at the top. Two length about 150 yard apart with a string of light poles running between for lighting. In the city they still had a manned vehicle every 1/4 mile. That is something else to see as it is in the area of an old river bed. The Mexican hillside is covered with little clay homes that all look deserted. Bet it would be pretty hard to resist the tempation to try sitting there watching the hustle and bustle of El Paso on the other side of the fence. LOL I saw in one spot - a pole leaned against the fence with a bike rim attached to the top. They could climb the pole away from the wire, then grab the rim on spin themselves over the razor wire to drop on the other side. Of course that only gets them into the center.

Other areas only had a single string of fence and they would patrol it regular. I noticed that they would pull a heavy piece of belt behind to smooth out the sand. This would let them know if there had been any activity since their last visit as you could see the foot prints of anyone who ran through.

I think the major problem they are having is that the drug use may be down so sales are down, or there may be a power struggle, and the money is tight. Easier to kill off a few men then split the shares. Har Har.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
Some people are calling Mexico a failed state. The drug cartels run the country. It's probably safer in Iraq than Mexico these days.

Questions:

Do drug users in the US and Canada have blood on their hands?

Would legalizing drugs resolve the problems? How?

Should the US use the military to cut off the entire border?

All very good questions..........

I would not go so far as to accuse dopers of "having blood on their hands", but, like buying merchandise from China, an person trying to lead an ethical life would think twice....or three times. IMHO.

I'm not for the legalization of addictive drugs such as cocaine. Would it solve the violence problem? Mostly, but it would cause other problems, and I don't think that is right.

I'd rather see US resources used to help Mexican authorities........as opposed to turning the US ever more inward. Blocking the border does not ease the problem, it just restricts it to Mexico. The drugs will still get in.