Should Iran be invited to join a UN-led co-alition to Afghanistan?

Should Iran be invited to join a UN-led co-alition to Afghanistan?

• Yes. They share a similar if not common language and religion with most of Afghanistan already.

Votes: 4 23.5%
  • Yes. Other reason.

Votes: 2 11.8%
  • No.

Votes: 11 64.7%
  • Other answer.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
Iran should be invited to join a UN led coalition to kiss my furry ass.

Talk about letting the fox loose in the hen house!!!!

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Are you scared of this made up boogeyman too? Ever considered taking ativan?

Last edited:

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
Order one up for Iraq at the same time, the 2nd group that will be needed are the war-crimes investigators. Since the US would be under suspicion it could not be any country that has strong ties to them. Someone who has been worked over by them would be familiar with some of their tricks of the trade.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
I assume Colpy is saying that Muslims are not qualified to be the guardians for (wait for it) Muslims

I'm assuming you think that Muslims do nothing but love their fellow Muslims and would never hurt a brother muslim.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
I assume Colpy doesn't like them....

Well, I'm not crazy about their President......and I don't have much use for their ME proxies, but I suspect the people of Iran are much more open and "liberal" than the nation's leaders would indicate........

So let's just say I don't like their current gov't, and certainly don't trust it.

Tyr

Council Member
Nov 27, 2008
Sitting at my laptop
Absolutely. Any coalition in Afghanistan should include Iran and Pakistan. They have a better historical and geographical reason for being there than such bastions of Islam as Canada, The USA and Britain.

Those who think not are merely expressing their paranoia

Zzarchov

House Member
Aug 28, 2006
How about an option:

No because they have a different religion than the Average Afghanistani and will only fuel the violence.

Shia in Afghanistan are the persecuted minority, thats why Iran nearly invaded and took out the Taliban a couple years before we did.

And while I don't like condoning that kind of bigotry, lets be honest here, if you were trying to occupy Richmond after the civil war, sending in a black platoon to occupy the place will only cause problems, from a purely practical standpoint.

Zzarchov

House Member
Aug 28, 2006
Side note to put in perspective:

It would be like sending in the Turkish to help occupy (Kurdish) Northern Iraq because they are both Muslim. Just throw gasoline on the fire.

Tyr

Council Member
Nov 27, 2008
Sitting at my laptop
Side note to put in perspective:

It would be like sending in the Turkish to help occupy (Kurdish) Northern Iraq because they are both Muslim. Just throw gasoline on the fire.

How about sending in the Turkish. That would be the optimal solution. Even Syria or Yemen would be better than what's there now

Zzarchov

House Member
Aug 28, 2006
How about sending in the Turkish. That would be the optimal solution. Even Syria or Yemen would be better than what's there now

Because the Turkish are more secular than we are and have no cultural similarities?

Or do you mean in Northern Iraq? Where the Kurds are self policing and stable, but mortal enemies of the Turks (and vice versa) with Turkey sending cross border raids to shoot Kurds already.

Syria is also B'aathist (aka secular) and a big enemy of Islam, thats why the Muslim Brotherhood tried to stage a violent overthrow of the Syrian Regime. Yemen, also not a good fit.

Its like saying if Canada was occupied somehow Belarussian Troops would work better than Albanian. Neither would really be more effective than the other.

Its not all about religion.

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
I'm assuming you think that Muslims do nothing but love their fellow Muslims and would never hurt a brother muslim.
I don't think it should automatically be assumed that they would do a worse job than the Christian/Atheists have done in the past 20 years for Afghan. (the history could be explored even further back it ever detail is to be considered) That also means no prompting from the sides either. 100% control. I don't think a Jewish administration should even be proposed but in the interest of exploring all options it has to be at least mentioned. It would absolutely have to be from the countries that were in condemnation of the US led forces being in a foreign land and civilians are dieing in large numbers, both in terms of whole families and total body count.
Venezuela has a pretty good constitution and recently it was updated to allow an honest politician to run for office, if it was the people's will he would be voted the winner. Like having JFK or RFK in power longer than 8 years if that was the will of the voters. Mexico is too tied to the US to be the ones fighting the drug-trade that is in explosive growth. I hear poppy products are a great addition to flour that is turned into bread, Ukrainian baking class 101. A relaxing sandwich, how novell.

Tyr

Council Member
Nov 27, 2008
Sitting at my laptop
Because the Turkish are more secular than we are and have no cultural similarities?

Or do you mean in Northern Iraq? Where the Kurds are self policing and stable, but mortal enemies of the Turks (and vice versa) with Turkey sending cross border raids to shoot Kurds already.

Syria is also B'aathist (aka secular) and a big enemy of Islam, thats why the Muslim Brotherhood tried to stage a violent overthrow of the Syrian Regime. Yemen, also not a good fit.

Its like saying if Canada was occupied somehow Belarussian Troops would work better than Albanian. Neither would really be more effective than the other.

Its not all about religion.

Afghanistan is 80% Sunni. Syria is 65% Sunni. Yemen is 55% Sunni. Turkey is 90%+ Sunni.

I'd think any one of the three would be a good fit.

If it's truly a political equation (Ba'athist), then what are democratic, Christian countries doing in a fundamentalist muslim country. Are they not avowed enemies?