Obama and Cuba

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
[FONT=Verdana,Sans-serif]Argentine prez: Fidel Castro 'believes in Obama'[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana,Sans-serif]
Jan 21, 5:53 PM (ET)

By ANDREA RODRIGUEZ

[FONT=Verdana,Sans-serif](AP) Cuba's President Raul Castro, right, gestures as he shakes hands with Argentina's President...
Full Image
[/FONT]

p {margin:12px 0px 0px 0px;}
HAVANA (AP) - Fidel Castro watched the U.S. inauguration on television and said Wednesday that Barack Obama seems "like a man who is absolutely sincere," Argentina's president said after meeting with the ailing Cuban icon. "Fidel believes in Obama," Cristina Fernandez said.
The meeting with Fernandez, just before she ended a four-day visit to Cuba, dispelled persistent rumors that the 82-year-old Castro had suffered a stroke or lapsed into a coma in recent days.
"I was with Fidel about an hour or more," she told reporters at the airport as she left. "We were chatting, conversing. He looked good."
Fernandez said Castro wore the track suit that has become his trademark since he fell ill in July 2006 and vanished from public view. A spokesman said the two met alone.
"He told me he had followed the inauguration of Barack Obama very closely, that he had watched the inauguration on television all day," Fernandez said. "He had a very good perception of President Obama."
Fernandez said Castro called Obama "a man who seems absolutely sincere," who believes strongly in his ideas "and who hopefully can carry them out."
Raul Castro, who took over the presidency from his brother, appeared with Fernandez, scoffing at the rumors about his brother's health.
"Do you think if he were really gravely ill that I'd be smiling here?" Raul Castro said. "Soon I'm going to take a trip to Europe. You guys think I could leave here if Fidel were really in grave condition?"
Castro, 77, said his older brother spends his days "thinking a lot, reading a lot, advising me, helping me."
The rumors about Castro's health were fanned by the fact that he hasn't written a newspaper column in more than a month and hadn't held a confirmed meeting with a foreign leader since Nov. 28. The presidents of Panama and Ecuador visited this month but left without saying they had seen the elder Castro.
"Now you know that Fidel is fine, and not like the rumors around here," Raul Castro said.
Earlier Wednesday, Raul Castro said Obama "seemed like a good man" and wished him luck.
Obama has pledged to ease limits on Cuban-Americans' visits to the island and on how much money they can send home to relatives. He has also offered to negotiate personally with Raul Castro, though he has said he won't push Congress to lift the U.S. trade embargo, at least not right away.
Cubans see those as important steps in improving U.S.-Cuba relations. Obama's predecessor, George W. Bush, tightened sanctions on the communist-governed country.
The comments by the Castro brothers contrast with those of their ally, Venezuelan President Hugo Chavez, whose government took exception to Obama's characterization of Chavez as "a destructive force in the region." Obama made the comments in an interview with the Univision television network.
Venezuelan Foreign Minister Nicolas Maduro said he hoped Obama would "rectify" the comments, which he said showed his "total ignorance" about Latin America. "President Chavez has won 12 of the 14 elections in the past 10 years," the state-run Bolivarian News Agency quoted Maduro as saying. "He is the legitimate president."

This will be neat. Now Americans can flood Cuba and barge in on the one place that Canadians went to to get away from us Ugly Americans and be warm at the same time. Sweet.

[/FONT]

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
And without any spare parts being shipped from the US. Wonder why it doesn't work that way on the mainland? Buy a car and it operates decades after it has been paid for is unheard of. How much does this have to do with a new oilfield that is in Cuban waters.

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
It's still an interesting theory. The Cuban people know that their oil (the bulk)
is coming courtesy of Mr. Chavez, but they're excited and proud of oil on and
around Cuba. Maybe they're not the only ones. Who knows?

Back in the '50's, body parts would change from year to year, but many
mechanical parts where interchangeable for most of a decade...That's a big
part as to why so many American vehicles are still on the roads in Cuba. That
and resourcefulness that's hard to believe.

I took a couple of hundred pictures of cars in Cuba (I looked and not a '54 Chev
in the lot of them somehow), but my favorite I took a couple of pictures of most
times I walked past it. I never got a look under the hood, but was told by another
tourist on my way to the airport when leaving that this car was powered by the
engine out of a salvaged Russian helicopter. Kind of had to believe and I wish I
would have seen that for myself. The interior of that car was truly amazing. Check
this out:

If the market opens up between the USA & Cuba for replacement (not just salvaged)
autoparts, I wonder just how long some of these cars can stay on the road?

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
Minnesota: Gopher State
''I wonder just how long some of these cars can stay on the road? ''

One thing's for sure: many Cubanos will become millionaires overnight as many Yanks will buy those gems at quite a big penny!

barney

Electoral Member
Aug 1, 2007
[FONT=Verdana,Sans-serif]
"Now Americans can flood Cuba and barge in on the one place that Canadians went to to get away from us Ugly Americans and be warm at the same time."

Nnnnnnnooooooooooooooooooooooo! ;-)
[/FONT]

It makes sense that Bush's administration pushed tighter sanctions on Cuba, considering the large political base gained in Florida by his brother.

Outside of those elements in the government that have a real-hard-on for Cuba, I don't think that generally speaking Americans really care much about Cuba these days; people just want to move on.

I'm guessing the embargo will be lifted soon within the next few years and land claims will be settled allowing *legitimate* American businesses to establish themselves there, within certain reasonable limits of course.

Obama's policies concerning Cuba are reflective of all of the above. He definitely knows how to walk the political tightrope, I'll give him that.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
[FONT=Verdana,Sans-serif]"Now Americans can flood Cuba and barge in on the one place that Canadians went to to get away from us Ugly Americans and be warm at the same time."[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana,Sans-serif]Nnnnnnnooooooooooooooooooooooo! ;-)
[/FONT]

Oh yeah...we're coming. Once that travel ban is lifted Americans are going to flock to Cuba and fill up them hotels. No more quiet vacations with us LOUD Americans with our Hawaiin shirts and plaid shorts and bush hats.

"Hey! WHat does a guy have to do to get a drink around here!"

It makes sense that Bush's administration pushed tighter sanctions on Cuba, considering the large political base gained in Florida by his brother.

I do not think the sanctions were any more tighter than they have been over the years. The embargo has stood through Democrats and Republican Presidents.

Outside of those elements in the government that have a real-hard-on for Cuba, I don't think that generally speaking Americans really care much about Cuba these days; people just want to move on.

There is still a big voter base of Cubans that do not want to embargo lifted but are still Democrat or have become Democrat. A guy I was in the Marines with is Cuban and is a Democrat and is for the embargo.

I'm guessing the embargo will be lifted soon within the next few years and land claims will be settled allowing *legitimate* American businesses to establish themselves there, within certain reasonable limits of course.

Obama's policies concerning Cuba are reflective of all of the above. He definitely knows how to walk the political tightrope, I'll give him that.

Someday it will be... and then we will be there for sure!

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
[/color][/font][/size]

Oh yeah...we're coming. Once that travel ban is lifted Americans are going to flock to Cuba and fill up them hotels. No more quiet vacations with us LOUD Americans with our Hawaiin shirts and plaid shorts and bush hats.

"Hey! WHat does a guy have to do to get a drink around here!"
I hear there are going to be new guidelines before Cuba will let that happen.
90% of financial transactions are made in Cuba and the money stays in Cuba.
A corporations having contact with foreigners are to be wholly owned by Cuban residents. The service industry (bellboys, hookers, all minimum wage earners) would be foreign labors, that makes trips available to low income groups that would never get a chance to go on an 'expensive vacation' to see 1st hand how the rich and famous Americans live. That also means native Cubans don't have to be exposed to the not-always-wholesome-lifestyle of the few Americans who have too much spare time and too much money.

Put in a lot of cameras and the locals could have their own crazy american blooper show. While it may ruin some careers back home it is better than (for americans in general) being privately black-mailed for life.

I do not think the sanctions were any more tighter than they have been over the years. The embargo has stood through Democrats and Republican Presidents.
That is because both groups lost their 'off-shore playground' that helped a very select few manipulate all sorts of loop-holes that were closed to those who could not travel to Cuba.

There is still a big voter base of Cubans that do not want to embargo lifted but are still Democrat or have become Democrat. A guy I was in the Marines with is Cuban and is a Democrat and is for the embargo.
Since America doesn't really offer anything any more (other than military hardware) you would think Cuba should be dealing with Japan and China or Europe. Letting the US have any say in how things were developed would just mean a 'little version of Miami today'.

Someday it will be... and then we will be there for sure!
Here's hoping that you have to agree to their terms rather than them agreeing to your terms.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
I hear there are going to be new guidelines before Cuba will let that happen.

Before CUBA will let that happen! Are you kidding? Cuba is in no position to dictate to the US.

90% of financial transactions are made in Cuba and the money stays in Cuba.
A corporations having contact with foreigners are to be wholly owned by Cuban residents. The service industry (bellboys, hookers, all minimum wage earners) would be foreign labors, that makes trips available to low income groups that would never get a chance to go on an 'expensive vacation' to see 1st hand how the rich and famous Americans live. That also means native Cubans don't have to be exposed to the not-always-wholesome-lifestyle of the few Americans who have too much spare time and too much money.

Oh well excuse us Mr. Righteous. So what are they using now for bellboys, hookers, etc. for you Canadians?

Put in a lot of cameras and the locals could have their own crazy american blooper show. While it may ruin some careers back home it is better than (for americans in general) being privately black-mailed for life.

Oh yeah... because Americans NEVER vacation anywhere else. I mean they never go to St. Thomas, Puerto Rico, Barbados, etc. Cuba will be our first vacation spot ever. Gee MHZ you should go work for the Cuban-American transistion team and set this up. You're so clever.

That is because both groups lost their 'off-shore playground' that helped a very select few manipulate all sorts of loop-holes that were closed to those who could not travel to Cuba.

Yeah... 40+ years ago. We've been fine without them. Now go ask them.

Since America doesn't really offer anything any more (other than military hardware) you would think Cuba should be dealing with Japan and China or Europe. Letting the US have any say in how things were developed would just mean a 'little version of Miami today'.

Right...nothing at all.

Geez you would think Cuba would be dealing with China, Japan, and Europe. Why aren't they? Whay haven't they thought of that yet? As far as I know the US is the only country with an embargo on them.

How are they doing?

Here's hoping that you have to agree to their terms rather than them agreeing to your terms.

Well last time I heard it is the Cubans that have been whining about the embargo. Americans could care less save for the wild eyed Berkley California types who go around with Red Che' T-Shirts 24/7.

If Cuba wants to play hardball... Have a nice day!

If I was a Cuban I sure wouldn't want you on negotiating for me. I'd stuff a BIG Cuban Pannini in that soup cooler.

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
It would be a good idea to look at the history of Cuba and the REAL reason why the US had the embargo to begin with then it might be understood just how much control Cuba may have at dictating conditions to allowing Americans in...

Raull Castro WAS there at the time of the revolution, he and his wife took part and he will not want to see Cuba used and abused by the Gangsters and Crooks from America come back.

Cuba stood up once before against the mighty USA. And they had good reason. Don't assume that they won't do it again.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
It would be a good idea to look at the history of Cuba and the REAL reason why the US had the embargo to begin with then it might be understood just how much control Cuba may have at dictating conditions to allowing Americans in...

Raull Castro WAS there at the time of the revolution, he and his wife took part and he will not want to see Cuba used and abused by the Gangsters and Crooks from America come back.

Cuba stood up once before against the mighty USA. And they had good reason. Don't assume that they won't do it again.

Well if that is the position that they will come to the table with then we should continue.

The idea that Cuba will dictate terms to the US is silly. The US MAY be open to discussion of lifting the embargo.

Cuba has been the ones that have been screaming bloody murder about the embargo... not the US. Things have been fine without them. But if Cuba wants to go to the table like Clinton and the US did with Vietnam then we may have a deal.

You act as if we need it. Let Raul play hardball and the embargo goes on. We have more things to worry about. The only thing we want is cigars and we get them through Canada anyways.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
"It's the US putting out the olive branch to Cuba and asking forgiveness, not the other way around

As if.

They will bend and come into the fold. They always do.

Soon we will be buying up those rooms that used to be filled with Canadians and Cuban waitresses will be be delivering us Americans drinks pool side.

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
The idea that Cuba will dictate terms to the US is silly.

Why is it silly that Cuba should have the right to dictate terms about happens on their soil? (and just for clarification and because sometimes the typed sentence doesn't express the sincereness of the question asked, this is sincerely asked and not a barb.)