Most people abroad will view Bush as a war criminal

JBeee

Time Out
Jun 1, 2007

01/20/2009 @ 9:01 am

Filed by David Edwards and Muriel Kane

Barack Obama has now been inaugurated as president, and the fear expressed by MSNBC's Rachel Maddow on Monday night that George Bush might issue last-minute pardons of administration officials involved in torture, possibly including himself, has not come to pass.

However, the torture issue itself is not going to go away so easily. As Maddow also noted, "The calls for a reckoning are growing by the day -- and not just from progressives outside the government."

"Do you think that Obama and his team realized how hot an issue this would become and would stay?" Maddow asked Constitutional law professor Jonathan Turley.

"I don't think so," Turley replied. "I don't think the people in that building thought it," he added, pointing to the Capitol. "I mean, that building is where principles go to die. And they haven't, because there's been this groundswell of people saying, 'Look, you might be able to get away with an electronic surveillance program and say that's just a crime we're not going to allow to be prosecuted, but these are war crimes., these are a special category.'"

"I think that the new Barack Obama, the President Obama, is going to find it very hard to go round the world and to say that we're now again the nation of rules of law," Turley suggested, "if the first act he commits as president is to talk away from a confirmed war crime."

"Are we literally looking at a possibility," Maddow asked, "where administration officials from this [previous] administration cannot travel abroad to the other 145 countries that have signed the torture treaty because they might get arrested?"

"Most certainly," Turley replied. "The status of George Bush is not that different from Augusto Pinochet. They've both been accused of running a torture program. And outside this country, there's not this ambiguity about what to do with a war crime. ... Most people abroad are going to view you not as former President George Bush, they're going to view you as a current war criminal."

"And they're going to view us as an outlaw regime for not arresting him on our own soil," Maddow remarked.

"I think so, unfortunately," Turley agreed. "A lot's at stake."

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
What crap!

The world will have forgotten who G. W. Bush was in three months.

First the lefties said it was impossible for Obama to be elected....it wouldn't be allowed, the fix was in for McCain.......

Then Obama won.

Then it was G. W. Bush had made a proclamation that left him with absolute power, he was going to proclaim himself President for Life, Obama would never come to power.

Now Obama is President.

Now, of course, we have all been fooled! Obama is a charleton, the election was a sham, he is no better than any of the rest of them.......

And the USA will be a world pariah for not prosecuting GW for war crimes...

Yeah, Okay....:roll::roll::roll::roll::roll::roll::roll:

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
What crap!

The world will have forgotten who G. W. Bush was in three months.

First the lefties said it was impossible for Obama to be elected....it wouldn't be allowed, the fix was in for McCain.......

Then Obama won.

Then it was G. W. Bush had made a proclamation that left him with absolute power, he was going to proclaim himself President for Life, Obama would never come to power.

Now Obama is President.

Now, of course, we have all been fooled! Obama is a charleton, the election was a sham, he is no better than any of the rest of them.......

And the USA will be a world pariah for not prosecuting GW for war crimes...

Yeah, Okay....:roll::roll::roll::roll::roll::roll::roll:

Yep, I'm sure he is in the eyes of Bin Laden and the Taliban- I just hope they don't start breathing easier now.

earth_as_one

Time Out
Jan 5, 2006
Pinochet eventually was arrested, long after he ceased being relevant.

But I think Bush will get away with his crimes. The only people who can hold the Bush adminstration accountable are the American people. No one else can touch these guys. The only nations powerful enough to stand up to the US have their own war criminals.

Scott Free

House Member
May 9, 2007
BC
"Are we literally looking at a possibility," Maddow asked, "where administration officials from this [previous] administration cannot travel abroad to the other 145 countries that have signed the torture treaty because they might get arrested?"

Bush didn't have a passport before becoming president so it's unlikely he'll want to go anywhere anyway, but if he does I hope he is arrested and executed - he is a loathsome scum bag.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
Bush didn't have a passport before becoming president so it's unlikely he'll want to go anywhere anyway, but if he does I hope he is arrested and executed - he is a loathsome scum bag.

Maybe he will go to Canada someday.

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
The world needs to have a Nuremburg Tribunal for Bush.

Which world? The real world is unlikely to cough up Bush except in desperate circumstances where possible mass pascification would follow his execution assuming an unsuccesfull defence before his peers etc; who may feel uncomfortable feeding one of thier own to the mob knowing the depth of the mobs thirst for justice. One would be too many and not enough depending on perspective. Nuremburg Tribunal, never again.

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
Minnesota: Gopher State
OK, no Nuremburg Tribunal.

Let's do this instead: let's take Bush and drop him off in the middle of Baghdad's streets and leave to him their brand of lynchmob justice.

Sound good?