Automakers Bailout

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
Hi. I make things that people don't want to buy. Please bail me out.

Thanks
That's what the bail-out is about, and a little bonus so they don't start making things people want, like 100miles to the gallon or alternative power.
Big oil wants the mileage to stay right where it is, or improved just enough to accommodate more vehicles without increasing current production numbers.

Who cares if the crime is a result of bribery (govt using tax-payer money) or extortion (businesses could make a profit making a machine that people would gladly buy), it is a crime and it should be stopped.

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
I'm listening to the Auto makers being questioned by congressional comittee, the answers are to die for. These specimins can speel for hours and not reveal one complete pertinent sentence. It really is worth watching if you like shock humour.
They should be thrown out on their arses and arrested after a good beating by citizens.

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
I'm listening to the Auto makers being questioned by congressional comittee, the answers are to die for. These specimins can speel for hours and not reveal one complete pertinent sentence. It really is worth watching if you like shock humour.
They should be thrown out on their arses and arrested after a good beating by citizens.
The beating should take place on the way in, before they testify.
I would place a blind bet that some who question them are more gentile (not asking certain questions) than others.

normbc9

Electoral Member
Nov 23, 2006
California
The Congressional testimony is well rehearsed and does try to make the point that "Main stream America" is the true victim here. What a bunch of crap. Screw the big three. Let them go into Chapter 11 bankruptcy, keep manufacturing the junk they are doing and reorganize kicking out the entire management teams and renegotiating the labor agreements. Those corporations have been financially bleeding profusely fow years. This is their problem, of their making and let them fix it themselves. This is another example of greedy corporate America lying under oath.

NorthernSun

Electoral Member
Nov 20, 2008
Sydney, NS
The only way that automakers should get a bailout is if they can GUARANTEE that we will not lose 1000s more manufacturing jobs in the auto sector. They would have to use any bailout money wisely and keep all their plants open.

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
No need for bailout, say diners near thriving car plant

ANNA, Ohio (CNN) -- Many people in the diner know someone working in the car industry. They are certainly in car country -- there's an engine factory down the road, and they live between Ohio's major plants and the Detroit home of the industry.

You don't have to go far in any direction to find a threatened auto plant. But the diners and staff do not back a proposed $25 billion bailout.

The car industry in their neighborhood is doing well -- the Honda engine plant in Anna, Ohio, sits amid lots crowded with employee vehicles, ringed by carefully trimmed trees and endless farm fields beyond. It recently underwent a $75 million, 135,000-square-foot expansion.

The success of the factory, which Honda says has built 15 million engines from scratch since it opened 23 years ago, has been spread beyond Anna, which lies in western Ohio between Dayton and Toledo.

"Honda's really helped this area as far as housing, retail sales, the restaurant business," said Tim Rogers, who has owned the Inn Between Tavern in Botkins, just up the road from Anna, for 33 years.

"People who are in here at night are also Honda employees. They have more money to spend. My business has been good since Honda came into the area."

The Inn Between's waitress is busy delivering the lunch special of breaded chicken, mashed potatoes and green beans to a stream of customers who work at different places but all seem to know one another.

The banter is raucous and sustained, and when the conversation turns to a proposed federal bailout for U.S. automakers, there is little support for the idea.

"I don't think they should bail them out because ... obviously something's not right in the way they're running their business, and why should the American people have to bail them out if they can't figure out how to do it right?" September Quinn, the busy waitress, said after the lunch rush at the Inn Between.

She holds the unions just as accountable as the companies for the industry's problems.
"People agree with the unions because the workers want to be backed on everything, but then again, there aren't people striving to do their job better," said Quinn, whose father works at the nonunion Honda plant. "They've just got Papa Bear to back them up in any instance, and they keep their job. And you can do that, but I don't know at the cost of what."

John Lenhart, a consultant with Plastipak Packaging in Jackson Center, Ohio, and an officer with the Sidney-Shelby County Chamber of Commerce, said any bailout should have strong strings attached.

"Unless I'm missing something here, the key to it is, they should put in a game plan and execute it, with serious restraints and serious reorganization," said Lenhart, a former five-term sheriff in Anna's Shelby County.

His Plastipak colleague Will Vetter also said any bailout should have strings attached.

"If you just give them money, you will get same-old, same-old results," he said after lunch at the Inn Between. "They're not prepared to downsize their businesses fast enough and to eliminate their costs at a rate that will make them profitable."

Vetter suggested that bankruptcy would allow GM to make significant changes faster, because a judge could void labor and supplier contracts, debts could be restructured, and Congress would not be involved.

"I guarantee in bankruptcy you can move really fast. You're only dealing with one person. You don't have three or four hundred people you're towing along at half-speed."

Both men said the nation and its auto industry will find a way to survive no matter what happens to GM.

"The country's got some ills, but we'll heal up," Lenhart said. "We'll be all right."
Source: No need for bailout, say diners near thriving car plant - CNN.com
__________________________________________________ _
I posted this on a different thread today, but it seems to fit here also...What's HONDA doing
that the "Big 3" aren't doing? Or is it what're the "Big 3" doing that HONDA isn't? Is TOYOTA
fly'n in on it's private Jet and holding its hand out? If not, why?

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island

Wasn't it priceless when the congressman asked all of them, (sitting in a row), to raise
their hand, if they are
going to immediately sell their corporate jet while they are here, and take a commercial
flight back to detroit.
Not one hand was raised.
I think they actually live in a world, not at all connected to reality, where they think their
jet is necessary, just like our car is to us.
They have all been dunked in lavishness and money for so long, they don't have a clue
how the real world lives., they think they are 'it'.
Find some 'real' people to replace them, who have actually worked for a living, and do
connect to the real world.

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
...and do not bail out these con men

This industry has been slowly going down the toilet for many years, they didn't seem
to 'get it', their auto sales have constantly dimished, they kept building those
big gas guzzlers, and trying to flog the domestic vehicle on the public, when it
was quite obvious the japanese had far surpassed their quality, and lengevity,
and they could have made big adjustments long long ago, now they are crying,
seems they are taking advantage of the present situation, BUT, maybe they have
to be helped, as we should look past them to the millions who will be out of work
and out of business, if they completely fail, the big CEOs will find other work, and
they will take their huge buy out packages, but the regular worker and small auto business
parts companies, and auto sales lots will take the fall and suffer the most.

GreenFish66

House Member
Apr 16, 2008
www.myspace.com
Auto industries have been crying wolf for years!!...

66% drop in oil prices..WOW! ..Were the prices that over inflated?...Man that's just criminal!
What were the oil profits again for the year??? WOW ...MAN!!..Looks like someone made some good money!!
Makes ya wonder if oil leaders saw somethin comin eh??!!
Where did all the money go??...
No reprecusions for their actions!!....So I am sure it will happen again...You can bank on it!!..!

Unbelievable!!..

Last edited:

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
The first Nissan (Datsun) cars came to North America in the mid to late sixties. These first cars were junk. but they improved. This should have sent a message to North American auto companies but it didn't. I bought my first Japanese car in 1974, It was a Datsun 510, one of the best cars I've ever owned. Meanwhile North American auto makers continued to build big, gas guzzling pigs, that only a few die-hard, massochists wanted. In the mid seventies American auto companies could have simply copied the best of the Japanese cars..........The Japanese were never shy about copying anything to save developement costs. If you get a local paper, I guarantee that there will be flyers advertising lower and lower prices on big, four door, American pick-ups..................Chrysler's big version with the "hemi" engine gets about twelve mpg if you are lucky. What are these idiots doing? It's a cinch they don't know.

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
The first Nissan (Datsun) cars came to North America in the mid to late sixties. These first cars were junk. but they improved. This should have sent a message to North American auto companies but it didn't. I bought my first Japanese car in 1974, It was a Datsun 510, one of the best cars I've ever owned. Meanwhile North American auto makers continued to build big, gas guzzling pigs, that only a few die-hard, massochists wanted. In the mid seventies American auto companies could have simply copied the best of the Japanese cars..........The Japanese were never shy about copying anything to save developement costs. If you get a local paper, I guarantee that there will be flyers advertising lower and lower prices on big, four door, American pick-ups..................Chrysler's big version with the "hemi" engine gets about twelve mpg if you are lucky. What are these idiots doing? It's a cinch they don't know.

Juan, You are right on and I'm seeing the adds. The funny thing is these blow out
prices (factor in the exchange) are STILL way overpriced than our southern
neighbors would have been paying months ago before the panic...thanks but no
thanks, Big 3!!!!