Why do Usians call their country ´America´?

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Because their country is the only country out their with 'America' in its name.

United States of America.

Other countries have names like Brazil, and Canada. We don't call ourselves America, because, we're not. We're North American, and South American. But, we're not 'American'.

Last edited:

hermite

Not so newbie now
Nov 21, 2007
950 Snowupthearse Rd. Can
For Amerigo Vespucci

For Amerigo Vespucci. From Wikipedia:

The explorer and cartographer Amerigo Vespucci (March 9, 1454 - February 22, 1512) was the first person to demonstrate that the New World discovered by Christopher Columbus in 1492 was not the eastern appendage of Asia, but rather a previously-unknown "fourth" continent. The continents of North and South America (and, by extension, the United States of America) derive their name from the feminized Latin version of his first name.

Martin Waldseemüller named the new continent America on his world map of 1507 in Lorraine. Vespucci used a Latinised form of his name, Americus Vespucius, in his Latin writings, which Waldseemüller used as a base for the new name, taking the feminine form America.

The name Canada came later, from a St. Lawrence Iroquoian word kanata, meaning "village" or "settlement". In 1535, inhabitants of the present-day Quebec City region used the word to direct explorer Jacques Cartier toward the village of Stadacona.Cartier used the word 'Canada' to refer to not only that village, but the entire area subject to Donnacona, Chief at Stadacona. By 1545, European books and maps began referring to this region as Canada.

See?

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
I do understand this arguement, makes sense, BUT

I am glad we don't have the word america in our names, makes us different around the
world in the eyes of others, and doesn't blend us into the u.s. culture.
And, that even keep' us' from falling into the same thought process, by thinking that
we are just like they are, even though the people are similar, the governments are
vastly different.
No one I know, or have heard of, says, oh well, canadians are just americans anyway,
no difference - 'wrong'.

unclepercy

Electoral Member
Jun 4, 2005
Baja Canada
Yep, I've been around a long time, and it seems like I've heard this discussion before.
Collectively, Canada, the US, Mexico and Central America are known as "the Americas." If Canada wanted to, I suppose it could call itself Canada of America, But, maybe there were other "states" in the world back then in history, and America was tacked on to specify which united states was intended. I personally say that I am Texan.

Uncle

Scott Free

House Member
May 9, 2007
BC
Who would want to be known as "American" anyway? Seems to me it has become a synonym for imperialism, corporatism and hypocrisy world wide. You can have it.

Risus

Genius
May 24, 2006
Toronto
Who would want to be known as "American" anyway? Seems to me it has become a synonym for imperialism, corporatism and hypocrisy world wide. You can have it.
And 'american' means a big target on your forehead when abroad....

(lots of yankees have Canadian flags sewn on their backpacks etc just to avoid that)

Nuggler

kind and gentle
Feb 27, 2006
Backwater, Ontario.
I consider myself American. Just not a US American.

Hey, sLone. After the next erection, hoooonose?? You and the rest of the province might get the chance........................ya think??

Hope not. We'd miss ya.

:canada::quebec:Yours in francophoney and anglophoney.
Nugg.

s_lone

Council Member
Feb 16, 2005
Montreal
Hey, sLone. After the next erection, hoooonose?? You and the rest of the province might get the chance........................ya think??

Hope not. We'd miss ya.

:canada::quebec:Yours in francophoney and anglophoney.
Nugg.

The chance to what? Seperate from Canada?

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
The chance to what? Seperate from Canada?

This again? We're coming up on a Federal Election. Fill your boots. You're suppose to walk
silently and carry a big stick, not carry a big stick and continually poke people with it...
It stops being a threat and simply becomes an annoyance if you keep poking people with it.

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
No, it's just the backpack story has been told so many times on this forum, that it has
become a pitiful, pathetic, puny come back. NO US travelers I know would even carry a backpack.

Uncle

Yeah ... true enough.... They're the ones in the diesel pusher land yachts waving their hands in expressive gestures that all mean: "Get outa the way!"