Pakistan - Musharraf resigns

dancing-loon

House Member
Oct 8, 2007
President Musharraf of Pakistan Resigns

Under pressure over impending impeachment charges, President Pervez Musharraf announced that he would resign Monday, ending nearly nine years as one of the United States’ most important allies in the campaign against terrorism.

Facing impeachment, President Pervez Musharraf of Pakistan said that by resigning, he was putting national interest above “personal bravado.”

“Whether I win or lose the impeachment, the nation will lose,” he said, adding that he was not prepared to put the office of the presidency through the impeachment process.

Mr. Musharraf said the governing coalition, which has pushed for impeachment, had tried to “turn lies into truths.”

“They don’t realize they can succeed against me but the country will undergo irreparable damage,” he said.

Pervez Musharraf forged a personal bond with President Bush, but he proved to be a frustrating customer for the U.S.

Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice sought to emphasize continuity with the new leaders of Pakistan on Monday, saying the United States would keep pressing the Pakistani government to battle extremism within its borders. She also thanked Mr. Musharraf for his efforts against terrorism. The president of the Senate, Muhammad Mian Soomro, assumed the office of acting president several hours after Mr. Musharraf’s resignation.

More here... http://www.nytimes.com/# and here http://www.nytimes.com/2008/08/19/world/asia/19pstan.html?_r=1&hp&oref=slogin
------------------------------------------
This is big news! Who knows what the new government will be like? A better Taliban fighter? Less or more cooperative with the US?
The political landscape in the ME as well as in the Caucasus is like shifting quicksand right now!

Zea Capri

Apr 5, 2008
Pakistan
Musharaf is such a coward.He should have resigned long time ago...anyways he got good response from Mr.Bush.
The day he resigned people literally came on streets in joy and the sweet shops were empty in my city as far as I know.

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
I am very curious to know how Pakistan will behave now, and wonder how they
will approach the Afghanistan situation, things could get very interesting over the
next while.

Zzarchov

House Member
Aug 28, 2006
Well, I think its very telling on his part.

The guy who voluntarily stood down to Musharref after admitting he robbed the country blind, returns to power and tells Musharref he's a traitor.

If Musharref where as evil as everyone claims (hell if he were even halfway competant in a coup) he would have hanged this guy 9 years ago.

But unlike most generals turned president, he did bring back democratic elections.

Zzarchov

House Member
Aug 28, 2006
China mostly, I mean if we are going to be honest.

But ya, of course American, French and Russian arms are still there too, private enterprises sell where the money is. But the majority of weapons aren't American they are Chinese as Pakistan is a long term ally of China.

But im sure there are probably a few stinger missiles kicking around no doubt.

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
I don't suppose you remember when India was shopping about for toys suitable for their primative conditions and lousy economy. Their choice of MiGs and Hines rattled the expensive guy with the high tech toys. Then, when Canada sold India CANDU (whose exhaust can be refined to enriched {weapons grade} plutonium) Pakistan was worried that India was going to blast them to atoms. Opportunity for MONEY presented itself. Guess who created Pakistan's nuclear arsenal (hint ... it wasn't China or Russia)

Zzarchov

House Member
Aug 28, 2006
Themselves?

I mean seriously, 1940's America built the atom bomb, do you really think a country with the same population, half a century of watching other peoples mistakes and no need to hide their activities (not being a NPT member, like India) can't make their own bomb?

China in the 60's made their own bomb, Israel made their own bombs, India made their own bombs,

It is possible for someone other than America to develop an atomic bomb on their own.

Zea Capri

Apr 5, 2008
Pakistan
Well, I think its very telling on his part.

The guy who voluntarily stood down to Musharref after admitting he robbed the country blind, returns to power and tells Musharref he's a traitor.

If Musharref where as evil as everyone claims (hell if he were even halfway competant in a coup) he would have hanged this guy 9 years ago.

But unlike most generals turned president, he did bring back democratic elections.
If Musharaf had been a real good man he would have brought back democracy 9 yrs back.
It is a culture of Pakistan, Army chief coup the Gov. and rob the country as far as he can go.Now Musharaf's time was over, I am dead sure he would have continued in the same way only if he could.The impechment frightened him, the charges were so strong thar his own comarades call him good bye and left him alone.
I don't know why America is projecting him as a good man.Only because he allowed to fight war on terrorism from Pakistani land?

Zzarchov

House Member
Aug 28, 2006
If Musharaf had been a real good man he would have brought back democracy 9 yrs back.
It is a culture of Pakistan, Army chief coup the Gov. and rob the country as far as he can go.Now Musharaf's time was over, I am dead sure he would have continued in the same way only if he could.The impechment frightened him, the charges were so strong thar his own comarades call him good bye and left him alone.
I don't know why America is projecting him as a good man.Only because he allowed to fight war on terrorism from Pakistani land?

Impeachement charges? I don't think you understand how they work in Pakistan.

Things he could do to avoid impeachement:

Arbitrarily dismiss anyone who tries to bring the charges against him, immediately. The president of Pakistan (before Musharref) has ALWAYS had that power.

You cannot impeach the president unless you already have him arrested (historically by the army)

Which brings me to point 2.)

The army is still loyal to him, he could just come back to power with another coup.

He didn't because this time the impeachment proceedings are the will of the people and not just the same kleptocrat.

He hasn't robbed anyone, he came to power during a civil war and a very likely ensuing nuclear war with India. I'd say he did pretty well in making the country able to be handed over to a civil government. Its not like Canada hasn't done the same thing in the past during major crisis (or even minor ones).

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury

Arbitrarily dismiss anyone who tries to bring the charges against him, immediately. The president of Pakistan (before Musharref) has ALWAYS had that power.

You cannot impeach the president unless you already have him arrested (historically by the army)

The army is still loyal to him, he could just come back to power with another coup.

He didn't because this time the impeachment proceedings are the will of the people and not just the same kleptocrat.

He hasn't robbed anyone, he came to power during a civil war and a very likely ensuing nuclear war with India. I'd say he did pretty well in making the country able to be handed over to a civil government. Its not like Canada hasn't done the same thing in the past during major crisis (or even minor ones).

Umm ... Z.... The poster is from Pakistan....

Zzarchov

House Member
Aug 28, 2006
So? Half the posters here are from Canada and have polar opposite views?

There is also the fact that depending on his age, he might not remember 9 years ago in same way alot of people I work with just turnign 20 have no idea what Im talking about when I say we had a naval showdown with spain out east.

Zzarchov

House Member
Aug 28, 2006
Well, if he's a Pakistani politician sure,

Otherwise anything he knows about the situation he is ALSO only perceiving what he sees on TV.

Or do you have a better perspective on Canadian politics by watching TV than someone else who watches TV on the matter?

Zea Capri

Apr 5, 2008
Pakistan

He was no more an army man,as he resigned from the post of Chief of army staff a few months ago, so coup was not possible.
As far dismissing the parliment; this needs a few charges against it.So the new infant Gov. can not be charged.
Also he was unable to use 17th amendment to resolve the assemblies because of the pressure that my be American or some internal one.
And the point you mentioned that he took over during a civil war is absolutely wrong.Media may be projecting that.The things were much better at that time.The country was at peace and progressing better.Now that a part(nothern) is at war and the whole country is facing suicide bombers daily...It never was like that.