Germany: Snubbing Obama?

dancing-loon

House Member
Oct 8, 2007
German row over Obama speech plan

A leading German politician is the latest to criticise a tentative plan by Barack Obama to speak at Berlin's historic Brandenburg Gate. Mr Obama is to visit Europe and the Middle East in late July.
His campaign team said the Brandenburg Gate was one of several locations they had inquired about as the venue for a speech.

Mr Obama's suggestion has created a political row in Germany.

Erwin Huber, the leader of one of the main governing parties, said the Democratic White House hopeful had played no part in German reunification.

Chancellor Angela Merkel earlier said it was "a bit odd" that Mr Obama should speak at the Cold War landmark.

"Obama didn't do anything for German unification," Mr Huber said.
"That's not a criticism, but as a result there is no reason to grant him such a privilege," he told the Welt am Sonntag newspaper.

Mr Huber is the head of the Christian Social Union (CSU), the sister party to Mrs Merkel's conservative Christian Democratic Union. The leader of the CSU traditionally plays a prominent role on the national political scene in Germany.

Foreign Minister Frank-Walter Steinmeier, of the centre-left Social Democrats, has welcomed the idea of Mr Obama speaking at the gate.

But a spokesman for the chancellor said "we are confident that we will reach a mutual and good solution which does justice to the interests of all involved".

Her office, meanwhile, has denied media reports that the White House put pressure on German officials to reject the speech plan.

The Brandenburg Gate is a symbol of
Germany's division and reunification

Berlin city officials have also said they would be delighted if Mr Obama spoke at the Brandenburg Gate. They would have the ultimate say over whether to grant him permission.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/7503649.stm
-----------------------------------------------------------
What a disappointment! I couldn't have imagined the German Christians are such narrow-minded bickering stuck-up bloated nitwits!!! Treating Obama like a third class human! He is not worthy of standing at the Brandenburg Gate!!! That will not go over well, and will have long-time implications. With such a rude tongue they'll be digging their own grave, I hope!!!

Obama should skip Germany on his tour. He can hold his speech in Poland!! That would teach them a lesson.
I am hugely disappointed, and would be very ashamed of my country, if I was still living there. They have forgotten what they and Berlin looked like in 1945!

scratch

Senate Member
May 20, 2008
German row over Obama speech plan

A leading German politician is the latest to criticise a tentative plan by Barack Obama to speak at Berlin's historic Brandenburg Gate. Mr Obama is to visit Europe and the Middle East in late July.
His campaign team said the Brandenburg Gate was one of several locations they had inquired about as the venue for a speech.

Mr Obama's suggestion has created a political row in Germany.

Erwin Huber, the leader of one of the main governing parties, said the Democratic White House hopeful had played no part in German reunification.

Chancellor Angela Merkel earlier said it was "a bit odd" that Mr Obama should speak at the Cold War landmark.

"Obama didn't do anything for German unification," Mr Huber said.
"That's not a criticism, but as a result there is no reason to grant him such a privilege," he told the Welt am Sonntag newspaper.

Mr Huber is the head of the Christian Social Union (CSU), the sister party to Mrs Merkel's conservative Christian Democratic Union. The leader of the CSU traditionally plays a prominent role on the national political scene in Germany.

Foreign Minister Frank-Walter Steinmeier, of the centre-left Social Democrats, has welcomed the idea of Mr Obama speaking at the gate.

But a spokesman for the chancellor said "we are confident that we will reach a mutual and good solution which does justice to the interests of all involved".

Her office, meanwhile, has denied media reports that the White House put pressure on German officials to reject the speech plan.

The Brandenburg Gate is a symbol of
Germany's division and reunification

Berlin city officials have also said they would be delighted if Mr Obama spoke at the Brandenburg Gate. They would have the ultimate say over whether to grant him permission.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/7503649.stm
-----------------------------------------------------------
What a disappointment! I couldn't have imagined the German Christians are such narrow-minded bickering stuck-up bloated nitwits!!! Treating Obama like a third class human! He is not worthy of standing at the Brandenburg Gate!!! That will not go over well, and will have long-time implications. With such a rude tongue they'll be digging their own grave, I hope!!!

Obama should skip Germany on his tour. He can hold his speech in Poland!! That would teach them a lesson.
I am hugely disappointed, and would be very ashamed of my country, if I was still living there. They have forgotten what they and Berlin looked like in 1945!

Again and again and again RELIGION rears its ugly head in politics.
And something went unsaid in dancing-loon's post.

Last edited:

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
What does the Brandenburg Gate think? Obama is a world class liar he should stay in his own country where they believe the corrupt war-monger is for real. Third class human is four classes above his station. He's a pathocratic prick.

dancing-loon

House Member
Oct 8, 2007
What does the Brandenburg Gate think? Obama is a world class liar he should stay in his own country where they believe the corrupt war-monger is for real. Third class human is four classes above his station. He's a pathocratic prick.
Oh, Beaver!!! I'm shocked to hear you speak like that low of Obama!! You say he is a liar? What has he been lying about? And a pathocratic prick? I have no idea what that is.... I don't have university education!

Are you a McCain fan then?

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
Oh, Beaver!!! I'm shocked to hear you speak like that low of Obama!! You say he is a liar? What has he been lying about? And a pathocratic prick? I have no idea what that is.... I don't have university education!

Are you a McCain fan then?

Obama is a smooth talking con man whos' changed his tune more times than his underware in this election campaign. He's pro war when he knows full well the Americans are 60 % anti-war in the polls, he's offered nothing in forign policy but the status quo, he refuses to aknowledge the terminal nature of the American economy and his advisors have sordid historys behind the scenes all the way back to Nixon, in other words he works for the team that owns him. The only possible way the American people can win this election is to not vote in record numbers. If they allow the vote to take place they will ligitimize the police state. You have a very good education, far above average, just because you do question the prevailing paradigm.

dj03

Electoral Member
Oct 9, 2007
Calgary
Germany doesn't want its historical sites used for foreign campaign purposes...I don't want Canadian historical sites used for foreign campaign purposes...lets all rant against religion for a bit. :roll:

dancing-loon

House Member
Oct 8, 2007
Germany doesn't want its historical sites used for foreign campaign purposes...I don't want Canadian historical sites used for foreign campaign purposes...lets all rant against religion for a bit. :roll:
Yes, dj, I read that, but this could be the future President of the USA, and to snub him like that is very unwise and childish in my opinion. The present German government is very pro Bush, and this behavior displays it overbearingly. To engage in such game playing is unfit for grown-ups in leading positions. I wonder how Obama will react to this insult.

To hell with religion!

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
He is a very impressive speaker. If he has a chance to deliver one he will surely impressive the hell out of them.

dancing-loon

House Member
Oct 8, 2007
Obama is a smooth talking con man whos' changed his tune more times than his underware in this election campaign. He's pro war when he knows full well the Americans are 60 % anti-war in the polls, he's offered nothing in forign policy but the status quo, he refuses to aknowledge the terminal nature of the American economy and his advisors have sordid historys behind the scenes all the way back to Nixon, in other words he works for the team that owns him. The only possible way the American people can win this election is to not vote in record numbers. If they allow the vote to take place they will ligitimize the police state. You have a very good education, far above average, just because you do question the prevailing paradigm.
No, Beaver, he is not a con man! My intuition as a female tells me he is a decent man. Admittedly, yes, he is young and inexperienced and has to follow party policies, but give him a chance. He says he stands for change, and change can not come in big ways overnight, that would never go through, but rather gradually and bit by bit.

The US economy is in a messed-up state because of years of overspending for those greedy wars. It will take time, skill and patience to correct.
Please, don't cut his legs off, Beaver. Of the two candidates he is the better one. He is softer, kinder, younger, and so handsome.

Thank you for your compliment, sweet Beaver.:smile:

scratch

Senate Member
May 20, 2008
Yes, dj, I read that, but this could be the future President of the USA, and to snub him like that is very unwise and childish in my opinion. The present German government is very pro Bush, and this behavior displays it overbearingly. To engage in such game playing is unfit for grown-ups in leading positions. I wonder how Obama will react to this insult.

To hell with religion!

It has caused more deaths than the United States of America.

dj03

Electoral Member
Oct 9, 2007
Calgary

It is unwise to get involved with either side, if they make the unprecedented move to allow Obama, a Presidential candidate, to campaign there and McCain wins then they have the same problem.

If they allow both to campaign there, then next time around do they have to give all of the candidates an opportunity to give a speech or feel snubbed? It isn't even in the US and the Obama people should know better.

data

Nominee Member
Jan 24, 2008
Thuringia
A leading German politician is the latest to criticise a tentative plan by Barack Obama to speak at Berlin's historic Brandenburg Gate. ... They have forgotten what they and Berlin looked like in 1945!
How do you come on that idea? The C-Party's go along with Mc Cain and the Social Democrats go along with Obama. That's traditional transatlantic partnership. The C in conservative parties has only the term "christian" in common with a certain religion. It's a PR trick to insinuate, they are the party of the majority. But at the moment we have a great coalition of both parties in government. What about a great coalition in the USA between Republicans and Democrats? USA could spare all that spending for this electoral theatre.
As dancing loon described her sympathies, it's about everything, but not politics.

Sharp questioned was found out, that both candidates will stand for identical decisions about Iraq, just differing in their approach to find it. At least any president would get impeached, if he/she does not follow in general the wishes of the big money. The presidential election will decide, what pigmentation and age is preferred for the president of next 4 years. The question of sex got ruled out during pre-elections (for how much?). ;-)
Here is my stance to the present Brandenburg Gate question:
http://forum.spiegel.de/showthread.php?p=2470730#post2470730
I think, both candidates should get same chances to hold their electoral speech at the Brandenburg Gate to the staff of US bases in (West)-Germany and civilians on the US voters roll. For Berlin that is welcome PR for tourism.
Berlin still suffers from an old governing filth of C-democratic and social-democratic incompetence and has to pay back for giant public debts. That's why Berlin took even Post-Communists into government, who consider them self as the real Social Democrats (The Left), while the official Social Democrats are rather developed into left talking conservatives during the last 10 years.

dancing-loon

House Member
Oct 8, 2007
A big hug for you, data!! I love to hear a real politics-understander talk and explain things to me! You expose my non-existing politics know-how, and I readily admit my lack of deeper insight into the mechanisms of world politics. I judge with my heart!:lol:
However, I did know CDU/CSU are conservatists, like we now have in Canada, and republicans in the States.

Data, do you need to get fit and/or lose weight by any chance? We have a new thread, CC Health & Fitness, where you could register yourself and participate. I have to get going now, heading for the school's race track to do a few rounds before it gets too hot.

I'll see you later!;-)

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
No, Beaver, he is not a con man! My intuition as a female tells me he is a decent man. Admittedly, yes, he is young and inexperienced and has to follow party policies, but give him a chance. He says he stands for change, and change can not come in big ways overnight, that would never go through, but rather gradually and bit by bit.

The US economy is in a messed-up state because of years of overspending for those greedy wars. It will take time, skill and patience to correct.
Please, don't cut his legs off, Beaver. Of the two candidates he is the better one. He is softer, kinder, younger, and so handsome.

Thank you for your compliment, sweet Beaver.:smile:

Try and calculate how many times female intuition has been wrong about Mr Right. I'll say it one more time Mr Obama has already been compromized or he would not be running for election further to this there is not one chance in fifty million that he is not completely controlled like the puppet he is. The front men do nothing but stand out front that's it his total input. It all takes place behind the curtain. The US economy is screwed up irrepairable by the same wealthy bankers who back Obama, these people made no mistakes, they have commited theft and embezelment on a monumental scale. He's for change eh. Who isn't?

Walter

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 28, 2007
I agree with my Republican friend, Darkbeaver.

Walter

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 28, 2007
Someone tell Obama the Germans can't vote for him. What a dolt.