Does this surprise you about Iran?

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
Iran is considered the most liberal muslim country in regards to assisted human reproduction.

* There are approximately 50 IVF clinics in Iran.

* In 2003 the Iranian Parliament ratified the Embryo Donation to Infertile Spouses Act, allowing married couples to donate embryos to infertile couples.

* The Supreme leaders (religious) approve of IVF based on writings in the Qu'ran.

I find it interesting that Islam supports IVF and Christianity (or at least the Catholic Church) doesn't.

scratch

Senate Member
May 20, 2008
Iran is considered the most liberal muslim country in regards to assisted human reproduction.

* There are approximately 50 IVF clinics in Iran.

* In 2003 the Iranian Parliament ratified the Embryo Donation to Infertile Spouses Act, allowing married couples to donate embryos to infertile couples.

* The Supreme leaders (religious) approve of IVF based on writings in the Qu'ran.

I find it interesting that Islam supports IVF and Christianity (or at least the Catholic Church) doesn't.
IMO : Iran has always been a progressive nation in many areas, so this does not surprise me. Just stop the sabre rattling.

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
You're a "dilemma guy". I found this statement about Islam and assisted reproductive technology. It said (and I suppose there is a Qu'ran reference in it):

Infertility treatment involves the consideration of biological, medical, social, psychological, religious, legal, ethical and cultural factors. Shia Islam has not attempted to shy away from or forbid treatment of infertility using advanced technology. Instead there has been a burgeoning interest in the application of hadith (8) to manage all human dilemmas.

Of course they aren't anywhere near perfect, far from it. There are many backward beliefs and traditions within Islam imo. I'm not promoting their religion, but I wish the catholic church would do a better job of trying to "manage human dilemmas" instead of brushing everything aside without seeing a bigger picture.

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
No it doesn't, but it does surprise me that western belief systems are less tolerant in some ways than those who string people up.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
No it doesn't, but it does surprise me that western belief systems are less tolerant in some ways than those who string people up.

Yeah, I see your point......I just didn't want anyone thinking Iran was all progressive and stuff. :)

Now, here's a pertinent question: is there a Christian nation (you now, one with a majority Christian population) that has laws in keeping with this specific tenet of the Catholic Church?

I don't think so.

Ireland, I believe, has moved on.

But I could be wrong.