Canadians under fire in Israel!

dancing-loon

House Member
Oct 8, 2007
Canadian group comes under fire in Israel

A group of Canadians ended up in the middle of an attack Friday on an Israeli government official.

The Jewish-Canadian group was touring an observation point near the Gaza Strip with an aide to Israel's public security minister, when the aide was shot. He's now in hospital in stable condition. Several Palestinian groups have claimed responsibility for the attack, which lasted about 15 minutes.

"All of a sudden we heard gunshots. We were fired upon for about 30 seconds," he said.

"The Canadian group behaved terrific, as if they are under fire in Canada every day,'' Israel's Public Security Minister Avi Dichter told Israeli Army Radio.

whole story here:
http://news.sympatico.msn.ctv.ca/Top...anadian_080404
-------------------------------------------------------------------
Why bring visitors into the range of danger?
Maybe the Palestinians feared an attack from all these people, standing there gawking at them?
Why would Palestinians be so dumb and shoot at a peaceful group, knowing very well that the press would exploit this to their disadvantage, by letting the world know how dangerous the Palestinians are? You can't make peace with them!!

Prime Minister Stephen Harper sent the Canadians a message of support from the NATO Summit in Romania.
Publicity stunt??
Did a sack of rice fall over in China??;-)

MikeyDB

House Member
Jun 9, 2006
It's weird isn't it? John McCain (next U.S. president) claimed on a visit to Baghdad that the streets were as safe as any town in Indiana.... But perhaps J.M. should join the next junket that Canadians go on to visit Israel....

I don't make it a habit of going anywhere where people are trading little globs of lead...just seems unnecessary....

MikeyDB

House Member
Jun 9, 2006
Colpy

I wonder what the hit-ratio is between Israeli troops and Palestinians.... Which group has better aim...?

"Gun control" is hitting what you're aiming at.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
Palestinians shooting at Canadians. Wow. I am dying to see how this thread is going to turn out.

MikeyDB

House Member
Jun 9, 2006
Well we could talk about Virginia Tech or Columbine or instances of Americans shooting at Americans.....

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Halifax, NS & Melbourne, VIC
Palestinians shooting at Canadians. Wow. I am dying to see how this thread is going to turn out.

Meh, who cares?

Like they actually knew what country they were from.... they saw their enemy, or people they didn't like, they shot at them.... typical for the area. If they were killed, well what would you expect based on the area? Those are the risks you take when you enter those types of areas

Last edited:

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
Well we could talk about Virginia Tech or Columbine or instances of Americans shooting at Americans.....

Yes...we could do that. That would not be out of the norm on CANCON to divert attention from the fact that unarmed civillians were fired upon by peace loving Palestinians.

MikeyDB

House Member
Jun 9, 2006
Eaglesmack

It's all how you frame someones perceptions.... Would a peace loving civilian be wandering around in a war zone?

Aren't there peace loving suicide bombers?

If you can't tell that someone is a combat soldier from a foreign nation....don't they get a free vacation in Gitmo?

Wrong place wrong time....

Who cares?

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
Eaglesmack

It's all how you frame someones perceptions.... Would a peace loving civilian be wandering around in a war zone?

Aren't there peace loving suicide bombers?

If you can't tell that someone is a combat soldier from a foreign nation....don't they get a free vacation in Gitmo?

Wrong place wrong time....

Who cares?

So...if it was an Isreali soldier that fired upon them...everything would be OK?

Palestinians must be pretty dumb if they mistake a group standing at an observation point in civillian clothes without weapons are soldiers.

MikeyDB

House Member
Jun 9, 2006
Eaglesmack

You can't have it both ways my son! If a person wearing normal clothing for the geography climate and culture is guilty of being an illegal non-combatant and subject to kidnapping by the United States...where are you going to draw the line?

Do you suppose there's ever been an occaision when people dressed like everyday folk were actually combatants and were using their clothing as camouflage to disguise their intent...?

Let's not get too holier than thou here Smacker...;)

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
Eaglesmack

You can't have it both ways my son! If a person wearing normal clothing for the geography climate and culture is guilty of being an illegal non-combatant and subject to kidnapping by the United States...where are you going to draw the line?

Do you suppose there's ever been an occaision when people dressed like everyday folk were actually combatants and were using their clothing as camouflage to disguise their intent...?

Let's not get too holier than thou here Smacker...;)

Mikey... there are PLENTY of threads to talk about GITMO. In this case there is a difference and you know it. The guy who shot at them was most likely just an A-hole that wanted to off an Isreali. But the fact remains is that it WAS a Palestinian and they WERE Canadians.

Now I KNOW that if it was an Isreali soldier that shot at the group of Canadians this place would go bananas. You KNOW it would.

Personally...I don't care either. I was just curious as to how some would react. So far it has been pretty predictable.

MikeyDB

House Member
Jun 9, 2006
Yes there is a difference, but the argument of civilian clothing as assurance against a snipers quota ....well....

And I could care less if it's an Israeli or a Palestinian.... If we're going to call this conflict that's been going on now for decades a "war" then if anything, a civilian wearing his Homer Simpson T-shirt and blue jeans wandering around in a fire zone deserves whatever he/she gets!

Darwin Awards all around!

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
I think if you are stupid enough to go for a tour bordering the gaza strip, you should expect this sort of thing to happen. It's similar to that nutty missionary from Toronto who thought it would smart to spread the word in Iraq. There should not be any sympathy to these people, they ventured into dangerous areas, assume **** will happen.

thomaska

Council Member
May 24, 2006
Great Satan
Mikey... there are PLENTY of threads to talk about GITMO. In this case there is a difference and you know it. The guy who shot at them was most likely just an A-hole that wanted to off an Isreali. But the fact remains is that it WAS a Palestinian and they WERE Canadians.

Now I KNOW that if it was an Isreali soldier that shot at the group of Canadians this place would go bananas. You KNOW it would.

Personally...I don't care either. I was just curious as to how some would react. So far it has been pretty predictable.

But of course you realize that Israelis only target hospitals, orphanages, daycares, and medical , and food relief convoys.

So your scenario of an Israeli shooting anything other than a 2 day old infant is highly unlikely.

Reactions: dancing-loon

MikeyDB

House Member
Jun 9, 2006
Thomaska

So it's true! the Israeli army takes lessons from the IRA...!

Thought as much.

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Halifax, NS & Melbourne, VIC
So...if it was an Isreali soldier that fired upon them...everything would be OK?

No... don't forget about the UN tower that was bombed to snot by the Israelis during their summer conflict that killed some UN peacekeepers, including a Canadian (Or was it two?)

Palestinians must be pretty dumb if they mistake a group standing at an observation point in civillian clothes without weapons are soldiers.

See above comment about the Israelis who bombed the tower with the big "UN" on all sides of it. How's that for dumb? Or was that on purpose? (Added: actually I just found a report saying the UN Peacekeeper's wife stated he reported some war crimes by Israelis just prior to being air striked.... hmmmm. wonder if that might be true.)

Last edited:

dancing-loon

House Member
Oct 8, 2007
Yes...we could do that. That would not be out of the norm on CANCON to divert attention from the fact that unarmed civillians were fired upon by peace loving Palestinians.
Don't forget... out of the group they picked the one they wanted!!!;-)