Oct 8, 2007
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]PAKISTAN
[/FONT]​
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Address by H.E. General Pervez Musharraf
President of Pakistan
at the 58th Session of the UN General Assembly
New York, September 24, 2003

[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Mr. President,[/FONT] [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]

When the Berlin Wall collapsed, hopes revived for a new age of cooperation and peace, free of ideological confrontations. Sadly, these hopes were dashed:
[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]- by the ethnic cleansing in Bosnia, and then in Kosovo;[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]- by the failure to end the occupation of Palestine, leading to the revived Intifada against Israeli occupation;[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]- by the brutal suppression of the Kashmiris demand for self-determination and freedom from Indian occupation;[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]- by the unending war in Afghanistan and the international neglect which created a climate in which extremism and terrorism could breed;[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]- by the series of international financial crises and the rise of poverty as a consequence of unequal economic globalization.[/FONT]
Etc.
Please, read the entire article here...
http://www.un.org/webcast/ga/58/statements/pakeng030924.htm
-----------------------------------------------
He gave a wonderful, intelligent, visionary and almost pleading speech. These are just a small few highlights of of his 28 point address. The year was September 2003.
Looking at the World 4 1/2 years later, I sadly have to say, it has not gotten one iota better, in the contrary... the above mentioned conflicts still have not been resolved, but rather gotten worse. New conflicts were added and none subtracted.

What will it take to achieve peace and a fair chance at life for everyone? Is it a wishful dream impossible to turn into reality? Are Musharraf's words and so many other good speeches and intentions, hopes and plans all for naught because they are just words?

Does anyone have a vision, an idea or suggestions how Canada as a Nation should conduct itself at home as well as internationally?
I'd love to hear from you:smile:

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
Minnesota: Gopher State
Why?... what did he do wrong?

Have you read the newspapers??

He illegally removed judges from their posts and replaced them with cronies, he has jailed critics who exercised their democratic rights, the illegal arrests of Chaudry and Bhutto, and even Republican ''hero'' Negroponte warned him that if he did not stop these repressions he would lose billions in USA aid.

We have discussed all these things exhaustively on this forum.

dancing-loon

House Member
Oct 8, 2007
I must have forgotten, Gopher.
His speech simply impressed me, because I was under the impression that he was an unlikeable person, just like his counterpart Ahmadineshad. Perhaps I'm too brainwashed by western judgments.
It is of course very hard to withstand all the pressures of a post like his.