To those unpatriotic bunch - Love us or leave us

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
February 02, 2008
Love us or leave us
The News of the World

British Redcoats during the Crimean War, photographed by Fenton in 1855 - Why should the British feel ashamed of their past, and the great British Empire, just because a bunch of tofu-eating, sandal-wearing Lefties told us to?

WHEN JF Kennedy said, "Ask not what your country can do for you—ask what you can do for your country," it sent Americans into a patriotic fervour that remains undimmed to this day.

Well, the tofu-eating tank tops at the Institute of Education here in Britain—who help determine policy and the way our kids are taught— think Kennedy was a fool.

According to them, and a bunch of 47 teachers who took part in a national survey, patriotism is a misguided, outmoded concept that has no place here.

They don't want it taught in schools, they don't want kids being indoctrinated with any kind of loyalty or attachment to Britain. Oh yes, and they think it's divisive and racist as well.

Yes, according to the IOE, to love and be proud of one's country is wrong because our "morally ambiguous history" means that Britain isn't worthy of our love or respect. And they say "praising patriotism excludes non-British pupils".

Well actually, it doesn't. It reminds them why they left their country of origin to come here in the first place.

People don't come to Britain because they hate what we are and what we stand for. They come because despite its failings it's still one of the best, most respected countries in the world and it boasts one of the most tolerant, compassionate populations on the planet.
How dare these IOE idiots claim that people who love their country are not just misguided but racist to boot.

Because, frankly, anyone who does come here from a different country and starts criticising our past or our present should stop claiming our benefits, stop living in our free houses, stop availing themselves of our freedoms and bugger off back to wherever they came from.

Compared to most other countries, Britain is a dream. People have a voice, we can vote in—or out—the people we want to run our country. We have education for all and healthcare for all.

If you fall on hard times (or even if you don't) the state will take care of you and your children. Hell, we take care of everyone's children.

And while I moan about that, while I moan about the things that are wrong, I know that living here is a privilege. I'm proud to be British and I resent the fact that a bunch of hairy, sandal-wearing academics dare to tell me it's wrong.

"Loving things can be bad, especially when things are morally corrupt," says the author of the report, Dr Michael Hand.

Funny, that. Because when I think of morally corrupt countries I don't think Britain. I think Zimbabwe, Sudan, Burma.

But one of the reasons why Britain is in trouble at the moment is precisely because there is no patriotism. The yobs on our streets do what they do because they have no love or respect for their country.

Ashamed

They have no understanding of what Britain does for them, and they don't appreciate that if they lived anywhere else they'd be banged up in jail with their human rights just a distant memory.

Lack of patriotism means lack of identity, and Britain is currently losing its identity in a sea of political correctness.

Where else in the world is every religion allowed to freely honour its deity yet the indigenous people are made to feel ashamed of theirs?

What other country encourages religions to celebrate their festivals yet tells their own people they are being divisive if they fly St George's flag or sing carols?

Without patriotism how do we get a soldier who is on £25,000 a year to lay his life on the line for a war that has nothing to do with him? Without patriotism the thousands of men and women slain in two world wars would not have done what they did to secure the freedoms this country now enjoys. And the fact is the IOE is only allowed to peddle its anti-patriotic views precisely because of this country's hard-won freedoms.

I'd like to see Dr Hand and his cronies tell an American he should be ashamed of his country. Or tell an Aussie he shouldn't fly his flag for fear of causing offence. I suspect the flag would be lodged somewhere that would make Dr Hand unable to produce any more silly surveys.

Go to Saudi Arabia and start berating THEM about their shameful past—and heads would be hacked off before you could shout "God is great".

Of course this country has things in its past it should be ashamed of but that is no reason to condemn it for ever or stop us from saying we're proud of it.

And I'll tell you what's REALLY morally corrupt—a bunch of woolly-headed academics daring to try to poison our kids' minds, making them believe one of the most fantastic countries in the world has reason to hang its head in shame.

newsoftheworld.co.uk

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Halifax, NS & Melbourne, VIC
The problem is, for a great country to exist, those in power or in an authoritive position shouldn't be dictating to anybody how they should think or how they love/hate the country they are in. The people of that country should dictate to those in power how it should be, not the other way around.... their job is to do what we need. If they don't, then we revolt and cut some heads off.

England has a bad history in some spots, and good in others.... all countries do. But I see no reason not to be proud of the country you come from for whatever reason.

But at the same time, when you are not happy with the country you live in and there are things you would like changed or something you'd like to have stopped, then you shouldn't have to worry about others telling you to leave the country if you don't like it.... that's not democratic, nor does it solve anything.

The above which you explained is a perfect example of that stupid Black/White mentality..... where if you're proud of England or being from England, then you automatically accept all the bad things.... But what do you do when you hate all the bad things? Does that mean you hate everything including the good things too?

It's a screwed up mentality and if you're like me, I wouldn't be to bothered to give this contradicting mentality any bother. They express themselves their own faults which don't really need much pointing out. Any person with common sense will make up their own decisions regardless what others think.

True patriotism is when you want to or actually do make change for the better of your own country, regardless of the pressure from others who oppose your views (possibly risking your own health) Keep the best interests of the country you live in and how you would want those living in it, like yourself, to have the best life possible. That's what it means to me personally.