Sino-American Showdown in Tiwan Strait

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
Sino-American Showdown in Taiwan Strait: Chinese Navy Confronted USS Kitty Hawk

Global Research, January 16, 2008
Newsmax

A Chinese attack submarine and destroyer confronted the U.S. carrier Kitty Hawk and its battle group in the Taiwan Strait, sparking a tense 28-hour standoff that brought both sides to a battle-ready position.

The American ships were heading to Japan following China’s sudden cancellation of a scheduled Thanksgiving port call in Hong Kong when they encountered the Chinese vessels, according to the Navy Times, which cited a report in a Chinese-language newspaper in Taiwan.
The Times reported that the encounter caused the carrier group “to halt and ready for battle, as the Chinese vessels also stopped amid the 28-hour confrontation.”
The encounter ended without incident, however, and the U.S. ships continued on to Japan. The two Chinese vessels were also headed for a port call in Japan.
The Chinese destroyer, Shenzhen, is armed with anti-ship missiles, while the Song-class attack sub is equipped with anti-ship missiles and a variety of torpedoes.
China has expressed “grave concern” to the U.S. over the Kitty Hawk’s transit through the Taiwan Strait, the Times notes. Beijing claims Taiwan is Chinese territory.
But Admiral Timothy Keating, head of the U.S. Pacific Command, told reporters Tuesday: “We don’t need China’s permission to go through the Taiwan Strait. We will exercise our free right of passage whenever and wherever we choose.”
Shortly before the Kitty Hawk battle group was denied entry to Hong Kong, China had refused safe harbor for two U.S. Navy minesweepers seeking refuge from a storm.
As Newsmax has reported, some U.S. politicians have rung alarm bells about China's increased military spending and technological revamping of its armed forces.
China’s military budget had an average annual growth rate of nearly 16 percent from 1994 to 2004, and China's reported 2006 military budget is about $35 billion, according to Beijing.
But Pentagon sources have said these numbers fail to demonstrate the true scope of the growth, and the real 2006 figure could be as much as $105 billion.
In recent years China has upgraded its nuclear-tipped intercontinental ballistic missiles; bought state-of-the-art warships, fighter planes and submarines from Russia; and begun development of a number of so-called "asymmetrical" weapons, including informational warfare and anti-satellite systems.
In November, Japanese Prime Minister Yasuo Fukuda warned that China’s continuing military buildup could eventually pose a “major threat” if the Chinese government decides to exercise its power.

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
U.S. commander denies confrontation with Chinese in Taiwan Strait

Associated Press
Thu, 17 Jan 2008 00:19 EST

Hong Kong - The commander of the U.S. Pacific Fleet rejected Thursday a news report that the aircraft carrier USS Kitty Hawk was confronted by a Chinese destroyer and a submarine after the carrier was denied a port call in Hong Kong last November.
"When we saw that report I was surprised," Adm. Timothy Keating told reporters at the U.S. Consulate General in Hong Kong. "We went back and checked with our headquarters and to the best of my ability to tell you today, there's no foundation to that report."
The report by the Taiwan newspaper China Times said the confrontation occurred as the Kitty Hawk and other ships in its battle group were heading back to Japan following China's refusal of a port call in Hong Kong.
The paper reported the carrier group encountered Chinese destroyer Shenzhen and a Song-class submarine in the strait on Nov. 23, causing the group to halt and prepare for battle. The Chinese vessels also stopped during a 28-hour confrontation, it said.
"I am certainly unaware as a Pacific commander of that activity," Keating said as he wrapped up a three-day visit to China.
In 2006, a Chinese attack sub stalked the Kitty Hawk without being detected until it surfaced within firing range of the group.
Keating said his China visit helped develop trust and understanding with Chinese military officials, and conveyed the U.S. and its allies' desire for greater transparency in Chinese military development.
"If there is insufficient transparency, then the question of intent arises. What are they doing and why? Intention is an important part of military-to-military understanding.
"If there is insufficient expression of intention, we as military officers have no choice but to assume a range of options (and) that can create misunderstanding, which can lead to confusion, which can lead to crisis, which can lead to conflict and we do not want that," he said.
Keating reiterated that U.S. position on Taiwan has not changed since 1979 and that the Taiwan Strait remains an international waterway that the navy as the right to pass whenever necessary.
"If operational matters recommend transit at the Taiwan Strait, we will transit the Taiwan Strait, same as the Strait of Malacca, same as the Sulu Sea," he said, adding that no Chinese official indicated to him that the transit was provocative.
Referring to the denied Hong Kong port call, Keating said the navy was "disappointed."
The United States expects to ask for approval soon for another naval vessel to visit Hong Kong and Keating said he is confident of Chinese approval.
"There are procedures, there's a protocol, there's a process. We understand that process. We will comply precisely with the requirements with the People's Republic of China for port visit requests as we have in the past," he said.

Unforgiven

Force majeure
May 28, 2007
I wonder what happens when China and Russia begin to seriously out gun the US on the water and in the air?

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
Click-----------------------------KABOOM-------------

BLAH BLAH PEACE-------BLAH BLAH BLAHDEMOCRACY------------BLAHBLAHBLAH FAMILY VALUES------------------BLAHBLAH----------HAHAHAHAHAHA

mt_pockets1000

Council Member
Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton
The chinese have already proven they can shoot a satellite out of the sky and pop up in the middle of a naval exercise in a sub, undetected. Stay tuned folks...

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Halifax, NS & Melbourne, VIC
But Admiral Timothy Keating, head of the U.S. Pacific Command, told reporters Tuesday: “We don’t need China’s permission to go through the Taiwan Strait. We will exercise our free right of passage whenever and wherever we choose.”

I just love this continual cocky attitude of the US thinking they can do whatever they want, when they want.

I will have no sympathy when the US is attacked again in anyway. Anything that falls on the US will be the US Government's responsibility, as well as partially the US citizen's fault for not keeping their government in check.

"Oh but we can't do anything, we haven't been able to do anything about what the government does for the last number of years now"

Oh screw that... It's called a revolution! Storm the White house, drag Bush and his goons out to a public square and off with their head. The French used to do this as a weekend sport ffs.

Guess who's the real Super Power in the world now? China. Heck even the US, the self-proclaimed world power gets most of their equipment, products, basically everything from China. They have been continually been pumping money into China and it's no wonder why they have been beefing up their military and able to afford it. Sure other nations have been as well.... but we're also not being the Super D*cks of the world either like the US.

Keep it up Bush.... Keep it up US... see how much longer you guys go before you're ganked by the rest of the world.

"If there is insufficient transparency, then the question of intent arises. What are they doing and why? Intention is an important part of military-to-military understanding.

"If there is insufficient expression of intention, we as military officers have no choice but to assume a range of options (and) that can create misunderstanding, which can lead to confusion, which can lead to crisis, which can lead to conflict and we do not want that," he said.

Yeah yeah... mask it with safety concerns, when all it's about is the US wanting to know what everybody else is doing, while they continue to do as they please and not tell anybody the truth.... all for the sake of "National Security"

WTF are we even allies with the US anymore? For the TV shows? Even those are cheap and crappy now.

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
The chinese have already proven they can shoot a satellite out of the sky and pop up in the middle of a naval exercise in a sub, undetected. Stay tuned folks...

Oh yeah, indeed... I bet if they're not already ready, they will soon be able to cripple the US's military and defenses easily. The US has been reporting people continually hacking into the Pentigon and screwing around. They can shoot down things in space, be that satellites or Mr. Bush's "Death Star" he created during the "Alan Parsons Project"

We all know how reliant the US's military organization is with digital technology and their satellites for communication from ship to ship, to aircraft, etc. Knock all of them out, nuke their fleet..... and that's about the end of it.

But then again.... who's got the pair to do that? :p

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
Oh yeah, indeed... I bet if they're not already ready, they will soon be able to cripple the US's military and defenses easily. The US has been reporting people continually hacking into the Pentigon and screwing around. They can shoot down things in space, be that satellites or Mr. Bush's "Death Star" he created during the "Alan Parsons Project"

We all know how reliant the US's military organization is with digital technology and their satellites for communication from ship to ship, to aircraft, etc. Knock all of them out, nuke their fleet..... and that's about the end of it.

But then again.... who's got the pair to do that? :p

I agree with your last statement most of all.

MikeyDB

House Member
Jun 9, 2006
The Chinese might but it depends on how much more the sheeple of the United States continue to spend on products that American corporations are providing the "consumer" from Chinese industry....

American's financed a legacy of Islam and male domination in Asia and the Middle East for decades and then like the country bumpkin Clem Kadiddlehopper throw up their arms in amazement when there's trouble....

Once again, American's will be led around by their consumer-noses and continue to buy Chinese produced goods because some fat-toad American investor will enable the process to make he and his family wealthier at the expense of every other American.

All the while the Yanks are celebrating their good fortune at cheap electronics watches and plastic doo-dads, the Chinese military will be buying arms technology from American entrepreneurs who salivate at the money and discount the consequences.

Got to love the American self-destruction gene....

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
I just love this continual cocky attitude of the US thinking they can do whatever they want, when they want.

I will have no sympathy when the US is attacked again in anyway. Anything that falls on the US will be the US Government's responsibility, as well as partially the US citizen's fault for not keeping their government in check.

"Oh but we can't do anything, we haven't been able to do anything about what the government does for the last number of years now"

Oh screw that... It's called a revolution! Storm the White house, drag Bush and his goons out to a public square and off with their head. The French used to do this as a weekend sport ffs.

Guess who's the real Super Power in the world now? China. Heck even the US, the self-proclaimed world power gets most of their equipment, products, basically everything from China. They have been continually been pumping money into China and it's no wonder why they have been beefing up their military and able to afford it. Sure other nations have been as well.... but we're also not being the Super D*cks of the world either like the US.

Keep it up Bush.... Keep it up US... see how much longer you guys go before you're ganked by the rest of the world.

Yeah yeah... mask it with safety concerns, when all it's about is the US wanting to know what everybody else is doing, while they continue to do as they please and not tell anybody the truth.... all for the sake of "National Security"

WTF are we even allies with the US anymore? For the TV shows? Even those are cheap and crappy now.

You talk a big game Prax. You call the US cocky and just read your posts.

China a Super Power? I've been saying that all along but weak countries that signed Kyoto gave them a Developing Nation status. We didn't sign because it was BS. Your country bowed down to them. Now you want them to fight your battle. Figures.

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
You talk a big game Prax. You call the US cocky and just read your posts.

I read and reread my posted before I close the window... I know fully well what I am typing. The problem is, what I say has foundation, while the US continues to unload piles of crap each day. There's a difference between being cocky, and speaking the truth in which many believe. I just got a pair to say what everyone is thinking. Get over it.

China a Super Power? I've been saying that all along but weak countries that signed Kyoto gave them a Developing Nation status. We didn't sign because it was BS. Your country bowed down to them. Now you want them to fight your battle. Figures.

Fight my battle? Where did Kyoto come into play here from China being a super power and the US going tits up?

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
I read and reread my posted before I close the window... I know fully well what I am typing. The problem is, what I say has foundation, while the US continues to unload piles of crap each day. There's a difference between being cocky, and speaking the truth in which many believe. I just got a pair to say what everyone is thinking. Get over it.

Fight my battle? Where did Kyoto come into play here from China being a super power and the US going tits up?

It really doesn't have any foundation...

"Just knock out their satellites and nuke their fleet."

...yeah that will do it.

That is just a lot of chest beating from one who really only has a pair on CanCon and not anywhere else.

My Kyoto comment just points out how some countries will readily bow down to China because they are the only true opposition to the US at this time. I am just glad that not all Canadians dream all day about the USA's demise whether it be economical or militarily.

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
It really doesn't have any foundation...

"Just knock out their satellites and nuke their fleet."

...yeah that will do it.

That is just a lot of chest beating from one who really only has a pair on CanCon and not anywhere else.

My Kyoto comment just points out how some countries will readily bow down to China because they are the only true opposition to the US at this time. I am just glad that not all Canadians dream all day about the USA's demise whether it be economical or militarily.

Smack everthing you wear comes from China, half the stuff you eat comes from China, three quarters of the crap you buy comes from China, The United States made China a powerful economy by destroying industrial capacity in the States and using Chinese labour to build virtually all your domestic products using American money and corporations setting up shop in China and anywhere else they did not have to pay a living wage. In other words America committed economic suicide and you smiled and bought it while you shopped at Walmart. Get used to it you're in a recession right now which will end in the spring with martial law. We not dreaming, you are blind.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
Smack everthing you wear comes from China, half the stuff you eat comes from China, three quarters of the crap you buy comes from China, The United States made China a powerful economy by destroying industrial capacity in the States and using Chinese labour to build virtually all your domestic products using American money and corporations setting up shop in China and anywhere else they did not have to pay a living wage. In other words America committed economic suicide and you smiled and bought it while you shopped at Walmart. Get used to it you're in a recession right now which will end in the spring with martial law. We not dreaming, you are blind.

Whoa! Whoa! Whoa!

First off I agree with you about 90% here. We did make China what they are. Not argument there. We will most likely go into a Recession...I agree. It happens...it is part of the economic cycle. Someday Canada will go into a Recession too. All countries go through periods of economic booms and slumps.

But you had to add we will be under Martial Law in the spring! :lol: C'mon Beav. Sometimes I feel there is hope for you until you come out with these statements. You made a prediction a week or so ago about something that you claimed would happen in a few years. I laughed and said it would be fun to come back to it so we could all have a good laugh. It was something Dooms Day'ish. But this is one that we can really keep track of. Spring is two months away. So I expect to see armed troops on the corners of Boston streets, armed troops raiding college campuses, rounding up everyone. Hey you know what...since my posts are very Pro-American maybe I will find myself in a new uniform!

Get A Grip. :lol:

MikeyDB

House Member
Jun 9, 2006
Yeah Beve no need for martial law in the U.S. The American government and the Pentagon have already established that if your laws conflict with making a profit or some dog-and-pony-show "war on terrorism"...well gee you just ignore what laws already written and agreed to and throw it out! Americans don't mind their government tapping phone conversations and suspending habeus corpus... this is after all- the land of the free and home of the brave....

Their national sport is steroids and their recreation is erecting phantom terror states that they can then allow the military industrial complex to fleece the rest of the nation...sounds perfectly reasonable to any American...

No need for martial law, their kids are all armed and go to school that way... universities and high schools have become much safer for everyone now that America is happy to have its population armed without any oversight or contingency planning.

"We know where those weapons of mass destruction are...: Donald Rumsfeld....so we're gonna kill a few hundred thousand people cause they're really dangerous after all...

Americans will believe anything Beve and it you told them that martial law was necessary to preserve the "national security" of Disney Land and SeaWorld...well that's OK just so long as they make a profit.....

America is toast Beve and it's an unfortunate accident of history and geography that Canada happens to be next door...

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
Whoa! Whoa! Whoa!

First off I agree with you about 90% here. We did make China what they are. Not argument there. We will most likely go into a Recession...I agree. It happens...it is part of the economic cycle. Someday Canada will go into a Recession too. All countries go through periods of economic booms and slumps.

But you had to add we will be under Martial Law in the spring! :lol: C'mon Beav. Sometimes I feel there is hope for you until you come out with these statements. You made a prediction a week or so ago about something that you claimed would happen in a few years. I laughed and said it would be fun to come back to it so we could all have a good laugh. It was something Dooms Day'ish. But this is one that we can really keep track of. Spring is two months away. So I expect to see armed troops on the corners of Boston streets, armed troops raiding college campuses, rounding up everyone. Hey you know what...since my posts are very Pro-American maybe I will find myself in a new uniform!

Get A Grip. :lol:

You went into recession last week Smack.And there is no way out. Ask yourself what the American people will do when Iran is bombed, especially since jobs and food will be in short supply. Your government is not your government, they will starve you to support forigne war untill they either have what they want or they run out of money to conduct the campaignes.

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
Yeah Beve no need for martial law in the U.S. The American government and the Pentagon have already established that if your laws conflict with making a profit or some dog-and-pony-show "war on terrorism"...well gee you just ignore what laws already written and agreed to and throw it out! Americans don't mind their government tapping phone conversations and suspending habeus corpus... this is after all- the land of the free and home of the brave....

Their national sport is steroids and their recreation is erecting phantom terror states that they can then allow the military industrial complex to fleece the rest of the nation...sounds perfectly reasonable to any American...

No need for martial law, their kids are all armed and go to school that way... universities and high schools have become much safer for everyone now that America is happy to have its population armed without any oversight or contingency planning.

"We know where those weapons of mass destruction are...: Donald Rumsfeld....so we're gonna kill a few hundred thousand people cause they're really dangerous after all...

Americans will believe anything Beve and it you told them that martial law was necessary to preserve the "national security" of Disney Land and SeaWorld...well that's OK just so long as they make a profit.....

America is toast Beve and it's an unfortunate accident of history and geography that Canada happens to be next door...

That's why we need a four-thousand mile fence two-hundred feet high from polluted sea to empty ocean. Toast is right, I was watching the Wall Street hawkers for a while today, what a sad excuse for humans man, they're advice is to stay the course, where do they think they're going, strawberry fields or what. They're so broke and bankrupt in so many ways they can never put humpty back on the wall but they just keep thinking they can spend thier way out of distopia, imagine todays offered assistance package was to stimulate cosumer spending, exactly the dumbness that screwed them in the first place.Oh well at least they'll sooner or later run out of steam unless they can figure out how to run the country on bull**** they're phucked, and so is Canada.

Zzarchov

House Member
Aug 28, 2006
I wonder what happens when China and Russia begin to seriously out gun the US on the water and in the air?

The same as before, Russia starts going after China (Russia is becoming quite white supremacist these days, and don't like Chinese influence in the far east)

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Feel free.

Anytime.

We're waiting.

Typical response. You guys won't do anything on your own and expect someone else to do the dirty work because it's a little tough.

And besides. It's not my Country to revolt in, think for once. When my country turns into a crap hole like yours, I'm pretty sure I'll have enough energy to do something about it.

But until that time comes, it's your country, you deal with it.