darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
Mother Teresa, John Paul II, and the Fast-Track Saints

By Michael Parenti

Global Research, October 24, 2007
commondreams.org - 2007-10-22

During his 26-year papacy, John Paul II elevated 483 individuals to sainthood, more saints than all previous popes combined, it is reported. One personage he beatified but did not live long enough to canonize was Mother Teresa, the Roman Catholic nun of Albanian origin who had been wined and dined by the world’s rich and famous while hailed as a champion of the poor. The darling of the corporate media and western officialdom, and an object of celebrity adoration, Teresa was for many years the most revered woman on earth, showered with kudos and awarded a Nobel Peace Prize in 1979 for her “humanitarian work” and “spiritual inspiration.”
What usually went unreported were the vast sums she received from wealthy contributors, including a million dollars from convicted savings & loan swindler Charles Keating, on whose behalf she sent a personal plea for clemency to the presiding judge. She was asked by the prosecutor in that case to return Keating’s gift because it was money he had stolen. She never did. She also accepted substantial sums given by the brutal Duvalier dictatorship that regularly stole from the Haitian public treasury.
Mother Teresa’s “hospitals” for the indigent in India and elsewhere turned out to be hardly more than human warehouses in which seriously ill persons lay on mats, sometimes fifty to sixty in a room without benefit of adequate medical attention. Their ailments usually went undiagnosed. The food was nutritionally lacking and sanitary conditions were deplorable. There were few medical personnel on the premises, mostly untrained nuns and brothers.
When tending to her own ailments, however, Teresa checked into some of the costliest hospitals and recovery care units in the world for state-of-the-art treatment.
Teresa journeyed the globe to wage campaigns against divorce, abortion, and birth control. At her Nobel award ceremony, she announced that “the greatest destroyer of peace is abortion.” And she once suggested that AIDS might be a just retribution for improper sexual conduct.
Teresa emitted a continual flow of promotional misinformation about herself. She clai

jimmoyer

jimmoyer
Apr 3, 2005
Winchester Virginia
www.contactcorp.net
Another myth fallen. Another hero exposed.

Oh well.

Instead I hold to three interesting comments she said that have interested me.

1. You fish I feed.
You can teach that man to fish. I will feed him fish until he is strong enough to do what you teach him. --------That to me is a perfect synthesis of the liberal and conservative philosophies, and is kin to parents raising a child until they can live on their own.

2. Loneliness
The worst pain bedeviling mankind is alienation, loneliness. I paraphrase again. But it strikes me as immensely true.

3. This is not something she said, but what her diaries when exposed to the world, said.
She had major doubts about her faith.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
History has proven, time and time again, it's always easiest to dissect the life of someone once they're gone and can no longer speak up for themselves. We have the power once someone has passed to villify or saint them, and their actions can never prove us wrong in our assessment.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
and this effects you, as a non-Catholic how?

Beautification is also only one step towards Sainthood. Just because one is beautified does not mean that they will be granted Sainthood by the Pope.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
I don't think anyone can deny that Mother Theresa did a lot of good in her life. If she got caught up in all the hype and her own press, it just means she wasn't perfect.........somewhat like a lot of us. She sure as hell didn't die rich.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
You know gerryh, your comment at first seemed a bit dismissive to me (sorry), but the more I got thinking on it, the more sense it made. Considering the analogies I hear on here toward religions (flying spaghetti monsters and all the like), you're right... what difference DOES it make to someone outside the church? If the Catholic Church decides to beatify me, claim me as a saint, does it really change a darn thing for anyone outside the religion? For that matter, it doesn't even really make much of a difference for those IN the religion.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
Catholic Bashing. That's all it is. It is a favorite past time and almost as fun as bashing the US.

Just mind what you say about muslims and you will be fine.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
It's always acceptable to bash those who are deemed to be 'on top'.

Christianity.
Men.
Caucasians.
The US.
Conservatives.
etc, etc, etc.....

Durgan

Durgan
Oct 19, 2005
Brantford, ON
www.durgan.org
In India Mother Theresa was considered a joke. She made absolutely no difference in improving life in India. But she was a terrific money-maker for the Church. I knew this years ago, and through the years I met many people glorifying her. This I used as an indicator as to the mental capacity of the people doing so. So for me, personally, she was a beacon in some cases of what people to void in any meaningful conversation.

She saved me from many boring encounters. For that she should be made a Saint. My opinion.

Durgan.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
And I'm sure that if you judge the worth of people based on one of their views, they are equally grateful for not having to converse.

A great woman indeed.

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
It is hard to change once we've been conditioned by the mass media. What we previously thought to be fact in fact is not even remotely true, this realization if arrived at requires some adjustment that may not be comfortable for many but if pursued ultimately reveals that most of us live in a construct of many years in the making. Mother Teresa was a monumental fraud and con artist of the old school.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Your assertion kind of falls apart in that the only way you can prove it to me is through more media.

There's no way for me personally to verify for certain, one way or the next, what Mother Theresa did or did not do. An inability to bring about change doesn't denote a lack of trying. Missionaries and relief agencies are stimied in their attempts everyday, clear across the globe by a myriad of factors, so, simply pointing to bad hospitals and a lack of change doesn't show a lack of effort. And her leaving when needing care but not being able to evacuate and entire country of poor for the same care is a bit of a ridiculous thing to criticize IMO. What would it have served for her to stay and die when she had other aid available to her? Would it have served her cause any better?

It seems to me that no source of information after a person's death can give you an accurate picture.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
Your assertion kind of falls apart in that the only way you can prove it to me is through more media.

There's no way for me personally to verify for certain, one way or the next, what Mother Theresa did or did not do. An inability to bring about change doesn't denote a lack of trying. Missionaries and relief agencies are stimied in their attempts everyday, clear across the globe by a myriad of factors, so, simply pointing to bad hospitals and a lack of change doesn't show a lack of effort. And her leaving when needing care but not being able to evacuate and entire country of poor for the same care is a bit of a ridiculous thing to criticize IMO. What would it have served for her to stay and die when she had other aid available to her? Would it have served her cause any better?

It seems to me that no source of information after a person's death can give you an accurate picture.

I'd rep ya if I could...but I can't....well said.

IMNSHO.... those that are not of the Catholic faith and choose to critizise the RCC's sainthood policies obviously have issues if their own that they should be looking at. To critizise someone that is now dead and who dedicated their life to living with the impoverished and trying to help in their own small way, is a sad reflection.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Thanks guys.

I guess it pays off in small ways to be mulling these things over as I study, rather than responding straight away.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
So there's a negative report. *shrug*. Does it take away from the good she did? Not for me.