Six Years of 9/11 as a License to Kill

JBeee

Time Out
Jun 1, 2007
September 11, 2007
by Norman SolomonIt evokes a tragedy that marks an epoch. From the outset, the warfare state has exploited "9/11," a label at once too facile and too laden with historic weight – giving further power to the tacit political axiom that perception is reality.

Often it seems that media coverage is all about perception, especially when the underlying agendas are wired into huge profits and geopolitical leverage. If you associate a Big Mac or a Whopper with a happy meal or some other kind of great time, you're more likely to buy it. If you connect 9/11 with a need for taking military action and curtailing civil liberties, you're more likely to buy what the purveyors of war and authoritarian government have been selling for the past half-dozen years.

"Sept. 11 changed everything" became a sudden cliché in news media.

Words are supposed to mean something, and those words were – and are – preposterous. They speak of a USA enthralled with itself while reducing the rest of the world (its oceans and valleys and mountains and peoples) to little more than an extensive mirror to help us reflect on our centrality to the world. In an individual, we call that narcissism. In the nexus of media and politics, all too often, it's called "patriotism."

What happened on Sept. 11, 2001, was extraordinary and horrible by any measure. And certainly a crime against humanity. At the same time, it was a grisly addition to a history of human experience that has often included many thousands killed, en masse, by inhuman human choice. It is simply and complexly a factual matter that the U.S. government has participated in outright mass murders directly – in, for example, Vietnam, Laos, Cambodia, Panama, Yugoslavia, Afghanistan, Iraq – and less directly, through aid to armies terrorizing civilians in Nicaragua, Angola, East Timor, and many other countries.

The news media claim to be providing context. But whose? Overall, the context of Uncle Sam in the more perverse and narcissistic aspects of his policy personality. The hypocrisies of claims about moral precepts and universal principles go beyond the mere insistence that some others "do as we say, not as we do." What gets said, repeated, and forgotten sets up kaleidoscope patterns that can be adjusted to serve the self-centered mega-institutions reliably fixated on maintaining their own dominance.

Media manifestations of these patterns are frequently a mess of contradictions so extreme that they can only be held together with the power of ownership, advertising, and underwriting structures – along with notable assists from government agencies that dispense regulatory favors and myriad pressure to serve what might today be called a military-industrial-media complex. Our contact with the world is filtered through the mesh of mass media to such a great extent that the mesh itself becomes the fabric of power.

The most repetitious lessons of 9/11 – received and propagated by the vast preponderance of U.S. news media – have to do with the terribly asymmetrical importance of grief and of moral responsibility.

Our nation is so righteous that we are trained to ask for whom the bell tolls. Rendered as implicitly divisible, humanity is fractionated as seen through red-white-and-blue windows on the world.

Posing outside cycles of violence and victims who victimize, the dominant vision of Pax Americana has no more use now than it did six years ago for W.H. Auden's observation: "Those to whom evil is done / Do evil in return."

We ought to know. But we Americans are too smart for that.

Curiosity

Senate Member
Jul 30, 2005
California
JBee

There will be many Op Eds such as the one you posted - but to choose this date to park it is in poor taste - An Op Ed by Solomon wasn't what is appropriate on this day - he is a nag.

It is like yelling 'Baloney' in the midst of a funeral.

If the day means nothing to you as it clearly has - other meaning than memorium - you have 364 other days in which to bleat your message.

Give us our one.

Last edited:

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
I second that notion Curiosity.

Sit in silent remembrance. Mourn the lives lost.

Politicize it tomorrow.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
I second that notion Curiosity.

Sit in silent remembrance. Mourn the lives lost.

Politicize it tomorrow.

I agree we should mourn, but we should mourn all the lives lost, including the million Iraqis and the thousands of Afghanis who died in the insane retribution for 9/11.

Curiosity

Senate Member
Jul 30, 2005
California
And please think of the many thousands of sick or dead from the aftermath of that horror - the numbers aren't available and they are discovering new lung diseases and blood cancers daily. People just living their lives in peace. Of course they were only Americans - minding their own business that foul day in hell. I give up - I should have known better.

mabudon

Metal King
Mar 15, 2006
Golden Horseshoe, Ontario
Sorry for my terse expression, but Harper's statements about "what we should learn from 9/11" have REALLY pissed me off, I will learn what I LEARN from whatever I study and observe and no-one can take that right away from me- tho I CAN express myself better.

So as #juans posts says (and that WAS what I was thinking before I wrote that last post) I will spend a few minutes thinking about the victims of 6 years ago and the rest of the day thinking about the hundreds of thousands since then.
I ain't gonna post here again, tomorrow I will get back into it as INSTRUCTED cos I am sick of the whole damn thing

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
I agree we should mourn, but we should mourn all the lives lost, including the million Iraqis and the thousands of Afghanis who died in the insane retribution for 9/11.

Yeah you have the idea Juan. :roll:

Unforgiven

Force majeure
May 28, 2007
And please think of the many thousands of sick or dead from the aftermath of that horror - the numbers aren't available and they are discovering new lung diseases and blood cancers daily. People just living their lives in peace. Of course they were only Americans - minding their own business that foul day in hell. I give up - I should have known better.

Something that you should know and could acknowledge is that it isn't just about America and Americans. 24 Canadians were killed in that attack on that day.

One of the biggest problems Americans have is their indefatigable ability to see only American deaths.

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
First off, let it be known this my neutral observation - NOT an anti-American rant.

All clichés aside, would it not have been a lot easier on the world community's nerves had 9-11 been used as pause to reflect instead of a "license to kill"? Afghanistan and Iraq both seem to be reactionary impulses that overlook something much deeper. Foreign policy (also known as friendship) is a gift - the offer of a hand up, not a hand-out. It's learning how your friend lives, thinks, feels and survives - and certainly is not a cause to expect favour in exchange for favours received. Sadly, the West never learned it in Vietnam, now the world is saddled with two of them for the price of ten.

Wolf

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
Something that you should know and could acknowledge is that it isn't just about America and Americans. 24 Canadians were killed in that attack on that day.

One of the biggest problems Americans have is their indefatigable ability to see only American deaths.

Those 24 Canadians were counted side by side with the THOUSANDS of Americans that were killed and their names were read off. We remember them... do you?

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
First off, let it be known this my neutral observation - NOT an anti-American rant.

All clichés aside, would it not have been a lot easier on the world community's nerves had 9-11 been used as pause to reflect instead of a "license to kill"? Afghanistan and Iraq both seem to be reactionary impulses that overlook something much deeper. Foreign policy (also known as friendship) is a gift - the offer of a hand up, not a hand-out. It's learning how your friend lives, thinks, feels and survives - and certainly is not a cause to expect favour in exchange for favours received. Sadly, the West never learned it in Vietnam, now the world is saddled with two of them for the price of ten.

Wolf

I get your point and I see what you are trying to say. I think we had time to reflect with the USS Cole and the Embassy Bombings. Don't you get it... they HATE the west. They HATE you. They are not our friends. We know how they live. The Taliban way of living is how they want you to live. Sharia (sic) Law to them is the only way or death.

You say all cliches aside then you finish off with comparing Afghanistan and Iraq to Vietnam. :roll:

I think not

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 12, 2005
The Evil Empire

That's only your twisted view. You think you have it all figured out, but in reality, you know jack shyte.

Their names echoed on Ground Zero yesterday, along with every other foreign national.

What did you do to remember them?

Last edited:

I think not

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 12, 2005
The Evil Empire
I get your point and I see what you are trying to say. I think we had time to reflect with the USS Cole and the Embassy Bombings. Don't you get it... they HATE the west. They HATE you. They are not our friends. We know how they live. The Taliban way of living is how they want you to live. Sharia (sic) Law to them is the only way or death.

You say all cliches aside then you finish off with comparing Afghanistan and Iraq to Vietnam. :roll:

No they don't get it, it doesn't matter a bomb plot was foiled in Toronto, they need to mourn a few thousand deaths till they get it through their thick skulls. And even then, most likely they never will.

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury

THEY don't hate. Extremists hate. Extremists hate EVERYBODY. Extremists take advantage - threaten, murder, rape, torture - when Big Brother isn't there to whip their butts. The common Afghani or Iraqi is caught in the middle. Does that not sound like PLA? There is the comparison between Vietnam, Afghanistan and Iraq.

Wolf

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
No they don't get it, it doesn't matter a bomb plot was foiled in Toronto, they need to mourn a few thousand deaths till they get it through their thick skulls. And even then, most likely they never will.

Well if I recall some Canadians thought it was all a fraud... dare I say conspiracy. I also recall one poster saying that...

"It wouldn't have been that bad... they didn't have a lot of explosives."

Nah...no biggie... whats 50 to 100 people.

Unforgiven

Force majeure
May 28, 2007
That's only your twisted view. You think you have it all figured out, but in reality, you know jack shyte.

Their names echoed on Ground Zero yesterday, along with every other foreign national.

What did you do to remember them?

Sad news for you Blues Clues, lotsa people see Americans that way. Not just Canadians either. And no I don't have it all figured out but I'm looking for answers.

Yesterday I flew a small American flag next to my Canadian flag on my balcony. Is it a competition now with you?