Hiroshima and Nagasaki... Was it necessary?

s_lone

Council Member
Feb 16, 2005
Montreal
The question is simple enough.

Was the annihilation of Hiroshima and Nagasaki morally justifiable?

Unforgiven

Force majeure
May 28, 2007
Hell yeah! I'm tempted to see it happen again and put an end to all the fussin' and a feudin'.

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
In so many ways, the Atomic bomb was terrorism. In so many ways, it was justified in that those lives lost in Horoshima and Nagasaki were much fewer in number than those that would have been lost in an invasion of the Japanese homeland.

Wolf

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
Morally justifiable, if we isolate it in time, before weapons conventions and treaties I'd say yes it was. It's war, really just an extension of the bombing taking place over the cities of Europe.

May 28, 2007
Honour our Fallen
It was used once well technically twice cause the Japanese thought it a trick.
It's been justified as a necessary evil to save lives.....
War Monger propaganda!!!!!

All sane people know it's insane to use these things......

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
It was used once well technically twice cause the Japanese thought it a trick.
It's been justified as a necessary evil to save lives.....
War Monger propaganda!!!!!

All sane people know it's insane to use these things......

Yeah, Doc.... Very insane - and the only greater insanity would have been the loss of life when Japan was invaded. Okinawa proved that.

Wolf

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
It proved to the Russians that the Yanks had indeed 'obtained' the atomic bomb plans from the German scientists/collaborators that fled to the states (with big cheques in their pockets). The Germans were far and away ahead of anyone else in atomic research and both the Soviets and the Americans wanted it. Japan was weak and expendable at the time anyway. Just kicked 'em when they were down was all. God bless the usa.

May 28, 2007
Honour our Fallen
Japan was weak and expendable at the time anyway. Just kicked 'em when they were down was all. God bless the usa.

that's a personnal opinion..expendable///more like a huge grudge and the save lives propaganda to justify it...

I think the USA grew from useing it.....we all did....Would it have been better if lets say the cards had turned and Germany had it in '43....fun times....
I'm uber glad the USA had it in their hands and not the "other guys"...

I'm proud of our way of life over here....
I get to call people war mongers and live to say it again...

Reactions: hermanntrude

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
Are you Japanese?
what happened in Okinawa...thats an island right?

No I'm not Japanese. In Okinawa, a last stepping stone to the mainland, Japanese military fought almost to the last man and the final bullet. Civilians committed suicide in the thousands by jumping off cliffs just to avoid capture by the "horned devils". American losses were in the thousands. Losses in taking Japan would have easily been in the tens of millions.

Wolf

Unforgiven

Force majeure
May 28, 2007
How about in a city near you...? Or how about your own city?

Sure! Now why would it need to be used on my city? Have negotiations failed?
The only place my city seeing as it's attached to my country is at war with is Afghanistan, and to put a finer point on it, the group called the Taliban that are in that area of the world.

Now then, they have through their guest bin Laden said they will use whatever they can to attack the US and countries including Canada. So it's already been established that nukes, dirty bombs, suicide bombers, truck bombs, plains trains and automobiles are on the table. So there isn't anything I can say to stop them from using a nuke on my city.

But if the answer to terrorism is that the place you want people out of or the county you base yourself out of is going to be so much vapor and radioactive dust, then perhaps when the grumbling starts in the back rooms and religious venues, enough people will slapping the jingoist war hawks around till they get their thinking right.

As it is no one has much of a problem with smart bombs that only target the bad guys and often cause the collateral damage that makes fodder for justifying terrorism.

Not to mention that if the only resort after diplomacy fails is a nuclear war, maybe we can keep the leash on our own little war mongering mad dogs.

Reactions: Tonington
May 28, 2007
Honour our Fallen
No I'm not Japanese. In Okinawa, a last stepping stone to the mainland, Japanese military fought almost to the last man and the final bullet. Civilians committed suicide in the thousands by jumping off cliffs just to avoid capture by the "horned devils". American losses were in the thousands. Losses in taking Japan would have easily been in the tens of millions.

Wolf

so you are blaiming their ignorance on not realizing the actual freedom the USA was about to bring to these people on the USA....they jumped to their deaths because of why actually???

Look the USA with all it's warts is still the best damn system of freedom in the world....

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
Sure! Now why would it need to be used on my city? Have negotiations failed?
The only place my city seeing as it's attached to my country is at war with is Afghanistan, and to put a finer point on it, the group called the Taliban that are in that area of the world.

Now then, they have through their guest bin Laden said they will use whatever they can to attack the US and countries including Canada. So it's already been established that nukes, dirty bombs, suicide bombers, truck bombs, plains trains and automobiles are on the table. So there isn't anything I can say to stop them from using a nuke on my city.

But if the answer to terrorism is that the place you want people out of or the county you base yourself out of is going to be so much vapor and radioactive dust, then perhaps when the grumbling starts in the back rooms and religious venues, enough people will slapping the jingoist war hawks around till they get their thinking right.

As it is no one has much of a problem with smart bombs that only target the bad guys and often cause the collateral damage that makes fodder for justifying terrorism.

Not to mention that if the only resort after diplomacy fails is a nuclear war, maybe we can keep the leash on our own little war mongering mad dogs.

Whaaa????

Wolf

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
so you are blaiming their ignorance on not realizing the actual freedom the USA was about to bring to these people on the USA....they jumped to their deaths because of why actually???

Look the USA with all it's warts is still the best damn system of freedom in the world....

Who said anything about blame? Propaganda told them Americans would enslave then and breed them for breafast sausage (figuratively speaking) Wouldn't you be a little afeared? It's Asian culture that one is not to be taken prisoner or your spirit is lost forever.

Wolf

May 28, 2007
Honour our Fallen
Who said anything about blame? Propaganda told them Americans would enslave then and breed them for breafast sausage (figuratively speaking) Wouldn't you be a little afeared? It's Asian culture that one is not to be taken prisoner or your spirit is lost forever.

Wolf

WHOAAA Nelly....
Exactly my point....you got them jumping off cliffs to save them from the boogie man.....please....puuuuuulease tell me you realize this was a ploy by their government to keep them in ignorance for their own greed and gains in world domination.....don't tell me their government and inteligensia believed this junk.....

another reason why would should be in charge of the world...we are the good guys...we know how to live and let live....we are Freedom....

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
The question is simple enough.

Was the annihilation of Hiroshima and Nagasaki morally justifiable?

The question may be simple, but which question?

Your header asks if it was necessary; your post asks if it was morally justifiable.

Which question are you asking?