Just watch the Brits get the blame for America's chaotic withdrawal

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
Just watch the Brits get the blame for America's chaotic withdrawal

31st August 2007
Daily Mail

Just for a change, President Bush has got it right - sort of.

There is, indeed, a comparison, an alarming one, between the humiliating end of the war in Vietnam and what can (and will) happen in Iraq.

When the Americans were finally defeated in Vietnam, after claiming they were handing back the country to its shambling government in the South, there were dreadful scenes at the U.S. Embassy.

Along with the last few Americans fleeing by helicopter to the airfield were thousands of South Vietnamese who had worked with the U.S. forces, frantically but vainly besieging the building as they sought escape for themselves and their families.

They knew they would be marked men when the North Vietnamese took over.

We can't have that sort of thing happening again, says Bush, urging support for his "surge" and a renewed effort in Baghdad. But how can it be avoided?

It is the mechanics of withdrawal, not just defeat itself, which promises a nightmare, in some ways worse than Vietnam. There, at least, the main enemy forces were very far away and did not arrive in the capital for a long time.

In Iraq the enemy is on the doorstep and just waiting for the chance to close in with all the weapons at its disposal as the American forces are run down from 160,000 to nil.

President George Bush admitted in a TV interview with ABC news that current fighting in Iraq could be compared to Vietnam

And what about the Iraqis (and their families) who have worked for the Americans and, thus, are also marked men?

They, too, will be besieging the base, pleading for evacuation.

In theory, the Iraqi army would be protecting an American withdrawal. But few if any Iraqi soldiers will wish to be identified as helpers to the Americans.

And, by the way, we should not make too comfortable a conclusion about our own final withdrawal from Basra. That could also be a messy affair.

I seem to remember warning about three years ago that the only choice the U.S. and British forces really had was the size and timing of their eventual humiliation.

In the circumstances, Bush's apparently bizarre move in recalling Vietnam makes a certain sense.

He needs to postpone the inevitable - the chaotic withdrawal of U.S. forces - at least until his successor is sworn in, in 2009.

Then the unfortunate newcomer can be saddled with the prospect of presiding over the final disaster.

Bush hopes that from his ranch in Texas he will be able to claim that it was lack of resolve on the part of the new President which led to the final collapse of the Iraq venture.

But in case it is unavoidable earlier, the excuses are being carefully prepared.

Bush needs to postpone the inevitable - the chaotic withdrawal of U.S. forces - at least until his successor is sworn in

You see, the Democrats in Congress failed to support, finance or enlarge the American presence.

And/or the British let the Americans down by withdrawing wholly or mainly from Basra, thus cutting off the American supply route and opening up that area to the flow of arms from Iran.

His bloodcurdling threats against Tehran also make sense in this context.

He brands the Iranians as a major source of the problem; and the removal of the British presence in the south will thus be the reason behind an American defeat.

The Brits let us down, will be the cry. You have been warned.

Meanwhile, though you might have thought defeat in Iraq would knock some sense into the blockheads who run our affairs, we have the worsening position in Afghanistan.

We are told that there, in contrast to Iraq, we must win or at least succeed. Nobody knows what that means.

There is one particularly significant difference between the Iraq and Afghan ventures.

In Iraq much of the population spend their time fighting each other. In Afghanistan they tend to unite to fight the common enemy. And they are bound to win.

dailymail.co.uk

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
Minnesota: Gopher State
So far, I have not seen anyone blaming Britain for Bush's debacle. After all, the coalition of the dwindling has been gradually withdrawing with nary a word of protest from the right wing news media or anyone else.

It's a good bet that pro war traitors will be saying BLAME CLINTON! more than anything else.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Had Clinton not sat on his hands over Osama...9/11 would not likely have happend and the excuses for Iraq would have existed...

YoungJoonKim

Electoral Member
Aug 19, 2007
Had Clinton not sat on his hands over Osama...9/11 would not likely have happend and the excuses for Iraq would have existed...

So...you're blaming Clinton Administration who actually TRIED to capture Osama before 9/11?...
And him for war in Iraq? Or did I just misunderstand because it sounds ridiculous to me.

I think not

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 12, 2005
The Evil Empire
So...you're blaming Clinton Administration who actually TRIED to capture Osama before 9/11?...
And him for war in Iraq? Or did I just misunderstand because it sounds ridiculous to me.

He tried alright, by sending a 3 million dollar missile to blow up an empty tent.

And he also blew up an aspirin factory.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Or did I just misunderstand because it sounds ridiculous to me.
You misunderstood.

Clinton dropped the ball several times, the most glaring was after the boming of the USS Cole...

He refused to give the strike order.

But I still won't be surprised if you find my comment ridiculous, seeing as your grasp of events is somewhat tenuous at best.

Curiosity

Senate Member
Jul 30, 2005
California
YoungJoonKim

You have some historical reading to do rather than typing up what you see on the current internet - all rhetorical inaccurate bamboozling.....and ineffective, ignorant fingerpointing.

There have been over twenty-nine terrorist attacks since the 1972 Munich Olympics all the way up to the recent ones in London, Spain, Bali and probably other places.... do some homework and get caught up....Lockerbie, USS Cole, US Embassy Bombings in Africa, and many more - 9/11 is but one of two attempts at the WTC.....enlighten yourself.

s_lone

Council Member
Feb 16, 2005
Montreal
YoungJoonKim

You have some historical reading to do rather than typing up what you see on the current internet - all rhetorical inaccurate bamboozling.....and ineffective, ignorant fingerpointing.

There have been over twenty-nine terrorist attacks since the 1972 Munich Olympics all the way up to the recent ones in London, Spain, Bali and probably other places.... do some homework and get caught up....Lockerbie, USS Cole, US Embassy Bombings in Africa, and many more - 9/11 is but one of two attempts at the WTC.....enlighten yourself.

But was attacking Irak the logical reaction to 9/11?

Johnny Utah

Council Member
Mar 11, 2006
Try reading 'Losing Bin Laden', then ask Sandy Berger about the Classified Documents he was caught stealing if they were on the failures of the Clinton Administration to capture or kill Bin Laden..

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
Try reading 'Losing Bin Laden', then ask Sandy Berger about the Classified Documents he was caught stealing if they were on the failures of the Clinton Administration to capture or kill Bin Laden..

So...it appears that america, no matter what president or party is in power, is incapable of bringing the one man that they blame for most of the terrorist attacks on american property in the last while to justice.

Yet they don't seem to have a problem attacking a country that wasn't any kind of a direct threat to them.

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
YoungJoonKim said:

It's been a while but we discussed several times on this forum the 9/11 Commission Report which acknowledged that Clinton did all he could to capture and to stop Osama bin Laden. I personally quoted page, paragraph, lines, and words from the Report to prove those points on this forum at least twice. As we all know, the Commission was a Republican committee. Yet, it put more blame on Bush for the 9/11 debacle.

The right wingers can continue with their lies all they want. But the truth is the precise opposite of all that garbage that they spew.

The facts cannot be more clear.

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
I think not said:
He tried alright, by sending a 3 million dollar missile to blow up an empty tent.

And he also blew up an aspirin factory.

Ronald Reagan called Osama bin Laden and the Mujahideen ''freedom fighters''. That's why they gave him so much money and made him the menace he became.

YoungJoonKim

Electoral Member
Aug 19, 2007
YoungJoonKim

But..you're comment has really no significance to which I say...
(Though I know ALL of which you said, just not in details. So I don't need history lesson from you :D)
So let's make this simplistic as possible
Clinton-tried-to-capture-Osama
Bush-did-not-because-he-was-busy-planning-to-take-down-Saddam-and-yay-he-did-while-Osama-goes-as-free-man-woo-hoo

Apparently, there was one bombing incident on WTC...I mean below WTC in 1993.
Terrorists bombed the underground to cause it to collapse, as the result of the bombing.
As we all know, it failed. For more info, please contact wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_Trade_Center_bombing

And many other warnings...the rest is history.

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury
Ronald Reagan called Osama bin Laden and the Mujahideen ''freedom fighters''. That's why they gave him so much money and made him the menace he became.

Isn't it amazing how that line between "freedom fighter" and "terrorist" becomes so blurred by the flavour of the day? With a foreign policy that gets awful close to being date rape, Uncle Sam seems to turn a lot of friends off on the spur of a moment.

Wolf

Last edited:

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
JOHNNY!!! How's trix you pic happy bastard!!!??? Long time no see.

So...it appears that america, no matter what president or party is in power, is incapable of bringing the one man that they blame for most of the terrorist attacks on american property in the last while to justice.
Pretty much...Or doesn't want to.

Yet they don't seem to have a problem attacking a country that wasn't any kind of a direct threat to them.
Sad...ain't it :?:

It's been a while but we discussed several times on this forum the 9/11 Commission Report which acknowledged that Clinton did all he could to capture and to stop Osama bin Laden. I personally quoted page, paragraph, lines, and words from the Report to prove those points on this forum at least twice. As we all know, the Commission was a Republican committee. Yet, it put more blame on Bush for the 9/11 debacle.
It's funny how you dismiss some articles by the Rep's while hugging others...How's that cake...taste good :?:...Still have it :?:

The right wingers can continue with their lies all they want. But the truth is the precise opposite of all that garbage that they spew.
Hypocrites that pick and chose what they will and will not believe from the same source just spew more and more nonsense...

btw...Isn't this forum about discussing our opinions ?

How many times have you dismissed the written facts for your own beliefs there gopher ?

Like how the Muslims built Nazi Armies, carried the Nazi Mantra back to the Arab world and so on ???

Good grief... you really are the pot calling the kettle black eh ???!!!

The facts cannot be more clear.
True enough...You stand exposed.

Isn't it amazing how that line between "freedom fighter" and "terrorist" becomes so blurred by the flavour of the day? With a foreign policy that gets awful close to being date rape, Uncle Sam seems to turn a lot of friends off on the spur of a moment.

Wolf
That line isn't so blurry when you think about abandoning the ones you used...when you no longer need them.

Last edited:

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
The British are leaving! The British are leaving!

Yup. The Brits have abandoned Basra as treasonous Bush's ''coaltion of the dwindling'' have disappeared. Today here in the States, virtually nobody is standing up for Bush's war. All bumper stickers, lawn signs, placards, and other signs that used to be posted all over the place have now been taken down as we the patriotic majority are (figuratively speaking) smashing the hate filled traitors to bits.

Every single day I hear patriots openly criticizing Bush and his fellow traitors for their treasonous war.

Ah, what a great thing to see!!

Bush's coalition, like his supporters, have dwindled for good reason: like it or not, you simply cannot win an unjust and immoral war. Bush's criminal war has no moral basis and for that reason it has been lost.

For those of you who hate America and who love Bush, you can scream all you want. But you will never win this unjust war. Justice simply will not allow it.