Public Flogging in Iran

Toro

Senate Member
His face covered by a balaclava, an official brandishing a cane repeatedly lashes the back of a man found guilty of breaking Iran's morality laws.

Two police officers hold the legs of 25-year-old Saeed Ghanbari and another his arms to ensure there is no escape from the punishment of 80 lashes handed down by a religious court.

Traffic was brought to a halt in Qazvin, 90 miles west of the capital Tehran, as more than 1,000 men gathered behind barricades to watch the public flogging. ...

It was unclear exactly what his offence had been as the country's strict morality laws cover many areas, but it was reported he had been convicted of abusing alcohol and having sex outside of marriage.

The public lashings have been endorsed by the judiciary as a way of deterring alcohol abuse at a time when it is on the increase among young men but some religious leaders are said to be questioning their validity, fearing they have an adverse impact on the country's image abroad.

Although men and women convicted of flouting public morals are routinely flogged in detention centres, public floggings are considered rare.

Human Rights groups say there have been a marked rise in recent months in the number of people sentenced to executions and floggings in Iran.

Amnesty International, which said it is "greatly concerned by continuing human rights abuses in Iran", has highlighted figures revealing 117 people were executed in 2006 with thousands facing floggings.

They included a woman, who had been forced into prostitution as an eight-year-old, receiving 99 lashes because of "acts contrary to chasity."

Earlier this year, a man was flogged after a copy of the Bible was found in his car.

At least 120 executions have been recorded so far this year, according to Amnesty, with two youths under the age of 18 when they committed their crimes among those killed.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/news/news.html?in_article_id=477088&in_page_id=1770

MikeyDB

House Member
Jun 9, 2006
Luckily there are no morality laws in America. The American government can execute American children on the pretext of a lie and exaggeration...invade a nation without sufficient cause or knowledge and open a Pandoras's Box of terrorism....with impunity.

American supplied weapons to Saddam Hussein took millions of Iranian lives....

Then America turns around and calls Sadam Hussein a tyrant and exercises "regime-change"...

The picture is quite clear to Iranians and everyone else for that matter....

America has no laws they don't regard as malleable and have demonstrated their willingness to ignore laws that don't satisfy their greed and appetite for world dominion....

Americans have the temerity to point to flogging in Iran as evidence of barbarism and yet not that long ago...I can still remember the signs and the murders...Americans kept bus seats and drinking fountains exclusively for the white while black Americans were lynched and their homes burned.

Who is the guiltier party here ?

A nation that foments wars that kill hundeds of thousands to "protect American interests"...which then claims the higher moral ground ...despite the fact that Iranians died in the name of American support for a regime it then called criminal....or is it the hypocrisy of the treatment of blacks in America for generations that should define the sentiment?

Unforgiven

Force majeure
May 28, 2007
Clearly it's one of two things. They didn't flog that last morality abuser correctly or they just won't teach people how to behave from the start.
Maybe if they flogged this guy early on in Islamo school, they would not have to be doing it now.

When oh lord will these government types learn to beat morality into the public so that everyone can live in peace and bask in the glory of a single vision of God and what HE wants?

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
Ever watch our televangalists? It's a good thing our laws prevent this sort of thing because they would be enforcing morality in a heartbeat if given half a chance.

hermanntrude

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Jun 23, 2006
Newfoundland!
I cant believe anyone thinks that flogging is the right way to go about anything except building hatred and fear.

Anyone who hurts anyone should be ashamed of themselves

May 28, 2007
Honour our Fallen
These people are going to have the Bomb8O

All the more reason we need a strong force over there.

We need to somehow obliterate these people chances at spreading their version of justice on a human being doing none other than trying to enjoy himself.

Unforgiven

Force majeure
May 28, 2007
I cant believe anyone thinks that flogging is the right way to go about anything except building hatred and fear.

Anyone who hurts anyone should be ashamed of themselves

And so should someone replace flogging with something else does your opinion still stand?

hermanntrude

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Jun 23, 2006
Newfoundland!
any form of violence is wrong. Sometimes neccessary, I'll admit. but still wrong. When a judicial system starts doling out violence they are sending the wrong message. Don't do anything wrong or we'll hurt you., ie do something wrong and we'll do something wrong but only we're allowed to

May 28, 2007
Honour our Fallen
We have the best system and it has grown out of civilized evolution....we have banned the strap and hanging.....these people should be forced into the modern world and be shown how to live properly.

It's barbaric that my grand children should live in a world where this is happening at all.Why should they hear of such a thing..And what message are we giving our muslim brothers and sisters living in Canada...I don't like it...it's wrong ....i want it stopped.

Morris C

Time Out
Aug 26, 2007
Toro just posts a quote from a link and then posts the link with no explanation at all to whether he condones the flogging or not. Isn't that against the rules of this forum? If not it should be.

I suspect that Toro thinks that the U.S. would be just and right to do something to stop Iran from flogging it's people or otherwise why post that. Never mind that in Saudi they chop people's heads off in public. Toro appears to be typical of most Americans.

Then we have this from dred: "We have the best system and it has grown out of civilized evolution....we have banned the strap and hanging.....these people should be forced into the modern world and be shown how to live properly."

Forced? Barbaric? No doubt that's the American mentality coming out of all of his orifices at the same time too!

Who will stop this American agression? Osama?

hermanntrude

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Jun 23, 2006
Newfoundland!
Toro just posts a quote from a link and then posts the link with no explanation at all to whether he condones the flogging or not. Isn't that against the rules of this forum? If not it should be.

I suspect that Toro thinks that the U.S. would be just and right to do something to stop Iran from flogging it's people or otherwise why post that. Never mind that in Saudi they chop people's heads off in public. Toro appears to be typical of most Americans.

I'm afraid we all do that. I don't believe it's against the rules, but it's common enough here. Basically it's interesting for the poster to find out everyone else's opinions on a subject before joining in.

Toro is well-liked here so don't start a fight by putting words in his mouth. As a suggestion, perhaps you'd like to politely request his opinion before you rail against it?

Reactions: Toro
May 28, 2007
Honour our Fallen

?

ROFL....lil harsh wouldn't ya say....you new here?
i mean are you really new...let me check ya only got 5 posts....

May 28, 2007
Honour our Fallen
I'm afraid we all do that. I don't believe it's against the rules, but it's common enough here. Basically it's interesting for the poster to find out everyone else's opinions on a subject before joining in.

Toro is well-liked here so don't start a fight by putting words in his mouth. As a suggestion, perhaps you'd like to politely request his opinion before you rail against it?

Actually i've asked a question as an opener in many a thread and then watched my opinion change as i read.....then remark on it and talk of the change.....you can do that here cause you have such a wide variety of both moron and inteligencia....ROFL...jk

Unforgiven

Force majeure
May 28, 2007

Then we have this from dred: "We have the best system and it has grown out of civilized evolution....we have banned the strap and hanging.....these people should be forced into the modern world and be shown how to live properly."

Forced? Barbaric? No doubt that's the American mentality coming out of all of his orifices at the same time too!

Welcome to the board, I hope you stick around. :D

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto

Wow, you're a speculative one.

Perhaps people just think it's disgusting that a country feels a need to torture their citizens in public?

s243a

Council Member
Mar 9, 2007
Calgary
From my understanding most people drink in Iran. The more interesting question was why was this guy singled out?

Morris C

Time Out
Aug 26, 2007
Welcome to the board, I hope you stick around. :D

Well thank you unforgiven! And as I said, if it's not in the rules to express an opinion in an opening post then it should be. After all, a person should at least give others an idea on where he/she stands on the issue. I would call it trolling if he/she didn't because that's what trolling really is all about isn't it.

Whether I stick around or not will depend on the quality of conversation on this board and the bias or lack of bias by the moderators. Right from the start it appears that the place is cluttered up with a bunch of precocious teenagers who think that they own the place if they have many stupid and irrelevant posts to their name. I've experienced that on other forums and they get good at annoying people but staying just within the rules so moderators who sympathize with their political views can support them. Every ass loves it's own bray!

I hope that gives some of the people here an idea of who I am for a start.

May 28, 2007
Honour our Fallen

oh we're clueing in to that pretty fast......

so do you agree that the Muslim population in places like Iran are being abused ..and more importantly are you noy happy that we are dragging them into the modern day....
and donctha think we should invade iran and put an end to the dictaorships that followed the induced exile of the Great sha of Iran...i mean there was a class act....you meet Iranians over here in Canada without the Burka and like you have to wonder in sam hell did they manage to retain their dignity....

hermanntrude

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Jun 23, 2006
Newfoundland!
Well thank you unforgiven! And as I said, if it's not in the rules to express an opinion in an opening post then it should be. After all, a person should at least give others an idea on where he/she stands on the issue. I would call it trolling if he/she didn't because that's what trolling really is all about isn't it.

Whether I stick around or not will depend on the quality of conversation on this board and the bias or lack of bias by the moderators. Right from the start it appears that the place is cluttered up with a bunch of precocious teenagers who think that they own the place if they have many stupid and irrelevant posts to their name. I've experienced that on other forums and they get good at annoying people but staying just within the rules so moderators who sympathize with their political views can support them. Every ass loves it's own bray!

thank you so much for judging our forum so wisely.