Britain in Afghanistan for the long term, says Defence Secretary

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
Britain in Afghanistan for the long term, says Defence Minister as sixth soldier dies in a week

13th August 2007
Daily Mail

Defence Secretary Des Browne said UK forces were doing an 'exceptionally good job' in Afghanistan

Private Tony Rawson, 27, was killed when his patrol came under fire from Taliban fighters in southern Afghanistan

A "long-term commitment" in Afghanistan is essential to preventing its return to being a training ground for terrorists, claims Defence Secretary Des Browne.

He was speaking following the death of another British soldier in the volatile Helmand province over the weekend.

Mr Browne said UK forces were doing an "exceptionally good job" in Afghanistan, but they needed to be supported by the growth of governance in the country.

He told BBC Radio 4's Today programme: "I have never underestimated the degree of difficulty we face here, but we are making progress."

Mr Browne said the troops were fighting to ensure that Afghanistan has the "best future" it can have.

He said: "We are in Afghanistan... to ensure that a country which has gone through three decades or more of dreadful violence, lost two million of its own people securing its own freedom, has the opportunity that its citizens deserve to have the best future they can have in an already challenging environment.

"And to ensure that this ungoverned space, as it had become after 30 years of that sort of violence, and had become a training ground for terrorists, never again becomes a training ground for terrorists."

Mr Browne conceded that production of opium poppy had increased, but said successes were being made in other aspects of Afghan life.

"We are beginning to make a difference but it's not an easy thing to do," he said.

"The fact of the matter is it is a long-term commitment and our people are doing an exceptionally good job there but it has to be complemented by the growth of governance from the Afghans themselves.

"They have to take increasing responsibility not just for security but to hold the stability which we can generate."

Mr Browne expressed his condolences to the latest servicemen to die in Afghanistan.

The soldier who was killed on Saturday from the 1st Battalion The Royal Anglian Regiment is due to be named later today.

He was killed when his base, north east of Sangin, was attacked by small arms fire, rocket propelled grenades and indirect fire at about 1.20pm on Saturday.

He was taken by helicopter to Camp Bastion, but did not survive. Five other soldiers received minor injuries in the attack, the Ministry of Defence said.

The soldier's death comes at the end of a devastating week for British forces.

He is the second soldier to be killed in as many days in Afghanistan, and four soldiers have been killed in Iraq since Monday.

On Friday, Private Tony Rawson, 27, from the 1st Battalion The Royal Anglian Regiment died when his patrol came under fire from Taliban fighters in southern Afghanistan.

Lance Sergeant Chris Casey and Lance Corporal Kirk Redpath, from the 1st Battalion Irish Guards, were killed on Thursday when an improvised explosive device (IED) detonated next to their patrol, which was travelling in a convoy to the north Rumaylah oil fields, west of the southern Iraqi city of Basra.

Leading Aircraftman Martin Beard, 20, of No 1 Squadron Royal Air Force Regiment was shot during a routine foot patrol in the Al Waki district north of the British Base at Basra Airport, southern Iraq on Tuesday night.

And, last Monday, Private Craig Barber, 20, of 2nd Battalion The Royal Welsh, died after coming under attack from small arms fire in the Al Fursi district of Basra.

The latest death brings the total number of British military fatalities in Afghanistan since the start of operations in November 2001 to 70.

In addition, three serviceman were killed in the RAF helicopter crash close to Catterick Garrison on Wednesday night.

The aircraft's captain, Flight Lieutenant David Sale, and crewman Sergeant Phillip Burfoot both of 33 Squadron based at RAF Benson in Oxfordshire, were killed when the Puma helicopter crashed in a grassy field to the west of Garrison, near Hudswell Grange.

And 17-year-old Army recruit Private Sean Tait, of The Royal Regiment of Scotland, later died of his injuries.

dailymail.co.uk

Karlin

Council Member
Jun 27, 2004
This mean that Canada will also be in Afghanistan for a long time, if our leader is Harper, because Harper takes his cues from the USA and Britian.

I don't think the Afghans invited us to come there.
I think we just went, along with the USA and British troops.

They grow the world's opium, much of it made into heroin for people's relief of pain, and for maintenance of an addiction. The pharma-giant corporations would have liked the world to "only use the drugs we produce", but thats obvious.

Not allowing terrorists to train and recruit in Afghanistan is the main plan and goal. It is backfiring badly, with more militants being attracted to the terrorist camps.

So lets get out and then promise to only invade nations who invite us. otherwise it is an invasion, and if we stay it is an occupation. Lets call it what it is at least - we owe Afghans that much respect eh.

Minority Observer84

Theism Exorcist
Sep 26, 2006
The Capitol
This mean that Canada will also be in Afghanistan for a long time, if our leader is Harper, because Harper takes his cues from the USA and Britian.

They grow the world's opium, much of it made into heroin for people's relief of pain, and for maintenance of an addiction. The pharma-giant corporations would have liked the world to "only use the drugs we produce", but thats obvious.

Not allowing terrorists to train and recruit in Afghanistan is the main plan and goal. It is backfiring badly, with more militants being attracted to the terrorist camps.

So lets get out and then promise to only invade nations who invite us. otherwise it is an invasion, and if we stay it is an occupation. Lets call it what it is at least - we owe Afghans that much respect eh.
Well said.

YoungJoonKim

Electoral Member
Aug 19, 2007

So..does this mean we just "tagged" in because our government felt left out?

FiveParadox

Governor General
Dec 20, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Canada’s Role in Afganistan

In my opinion, Canada has an important role to play in the Islamic Republic of Afghanistan. It is quite apparent that His Excellency Mr. Hamid Karzai, President of Afghanistan, continues to invite and solicit Canada’s participation in the present Afghani mission. Whether or not the start of the mission was inspired by said solicitation or not, the fact is that the invitation is there now, and it would be irresponsible of Canadians to order the Canadian Forces out of Afghanistan with anything less than a detailed and comprehensive (and not necessarily short-term) exit strategy.

Nothing constructive has been suggested so far by the Government of Canada, Her Majesty’s Loyal Opposition, the Bloc Québécois, or the New Democratic Party of Canada—we can only hope that at some point in the upcoming legislative session, our representatives are going to come to their senses and drop their partisan bickering in favour of some fresh, innovative ideas in furtherance of our goals in Afghanistan. I suppose that’d be a bit of a tall order, unfortunately.

Sparrow

Council Member
Nov 12, 2006
Quebec
In my opinion, Canada has an important role to play in the Islamic Republic of Afghanistan. It is quite apparent that His Excellency Mr. Hamid Karzai, President of Afghanistan, continues to invite and solicit Canada’s participation in the present Afghani mission. Whether or not the start of the mission was inspired by said solicitation or not, the fact is that the invitation is there now, and it would be irresponsible of Canadians to order the Canadian Forces out of Afghanistan with anything less than a detailed and comprehensive (and not necessarily short-term) exit strategy.

Nothing constructive has been suggested so far by the Government of Canada, Her Majesty’s Loyal Opposition, the Bloc Québécois, or the New Democratic Party of Canada—we can only hope that at some point in the upcoming legislative session, our representatives are going to come to their senses and drop their partisan bickering in favour of some fresh, innovative ideas in furtherance of our goals in Afghanistan. I suppose that’d be a bit of a tall order, unfortunately.
How about an innovative idea, why not put OUR head together and come up with an solution to the problem. Sometimes if you are not in the problem we can think with clearer heads. It is worth a try.

FiveParadox

Governor General
Dec 20, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Re: Fresh Ideas of the Populace

It’s a good idea, Sparrow. Unfortunately, neither our Government, nor our representatives in the House of Commons, are likely to acknowledge any real suggestions from the general population. We need our people in the Commons to re-awaken to the realities of the world we’re living in; at present, I fear the Parliament of Canada (or, at the very least, the Lower House thereof) is experiencing a rather serious “disconnect” with Canadians. The more reasonable Chamber in terms of our mission in Afghanistan would be the Senate of Canada but, unfortunately, our honourable senators’ ideas are too often overlooked.

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
I think we have an important role to play alongside our British and American friends. I don't believe we went there to 'follow' along, it is an important mission. It is a genuine cleaning up of terrorists,
and the taliban deserve all the grief they get, as they assisted Bin Laden and his cronies to do their
dirty deeds.
I am waiting for a little more assistance from Pakistan, that would help.

911 was an international disaster, even though it was in New York. The invasion of Afghanistan was the right thing to do, under the circumstances. Exposing the Taliban, and rooting them out, will give
the Afghans the freedom to run their own country, and maybethe taliban will think twice before they, again, offer a partnership with the likes of Bin Laden, or anyone like him.

If everyone leaves Afghanistan now, what then, they would just be vulnerable to the next bunch
of cut throats who decide to move in and take over.

None of us are in that catagorie, we are there to help, and so are the u.k., and the americans, not
sure what the french and germans are doing though ???:-(

The illigitimate war is in Iraq.

YoungJoonKim

Electoral Member
Aug 19, 2007
Germans are selling their tanks to Canadians, enjoying benefits of war by NOT participating in war.
And French are enjoying their nice cuisine in French style (no offense :D)

I agree, Talibans got what it was coming. I must also agree about illegitimate war in Iraq.