U.S. voters are politically ignorant: So what?

John Hunt

Jul 12, 2007
Apparently, the average American voter doesn't have the best grasp of their political system, or who is curently pulling the strings in that system. Some fun facts to spice up your day:

-only half the voting public know there are two senators per state
-only 46% know who represents them in Congress
-41% know what the Bill of Rights really consists of
-a paltry 34% know the current U.S. secretary of state
-30% know the term length of a member of the U.S. house
-28 % can identify at least one of their state senators

The good news is that 94% know the length of the president's term.
(stats from "American Public Opinion")

Does it matter that less than half of Americans know length of terms and names for senators and Congress members?

What about apathy? Does a democracy need public involvement? Is a nation with less public involvement more democratic than a country with more?

What if only half the public votes in federal elections?
Or less than 35% of voters take part in municipal elections?
What about 5% participation in political parties and campaigns?
Or a meagre 20% of voters who ever contact their elected official?

These numbers are true of U.S. voters. Sounds fairly apathetic.

Should we care?

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
I'd say it's something for the americans to be concerned about, yeah. But us? No, not really. We should worry about what our own citizenry knows about our own political system first.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
But thats no fun! It's fun to say Americans are dumb. Its fun to send a Canadian reporter to quiz Americans on camera about things and leave the correct answers on the editing room floor and broadcast the wrong and dumb answers.

Where is the fun in quizing Canadians? That would mean having to face up to serious issues in Canada and that isn't too funny. So focus on America's short comings so you can feel better about yourselves.

thomaska

Council Member
May 24, 2006
Great Satan
But thats no fun! It's fun to say Americans are dumb. Its fun to send a Canadian reporter to quiz Americans on camera about things and leave the correct answers on the editing room floor and broadcast the wrong and dumb answers.

Where is the fun in quizing Canadians? That would mean having to face up to serious issues in Canada and that isn't too funny. So focus on America's short comings so you can feel better about yourselves.

Actually, the OP probably cut and paste his article from some American outfit, so it is more than likely Americans criticizing Americans.

Once again, it was a typical post, regurgitation of someone else's hard work in the never ending Canadian quest to prove "who's is bigger than who's".

But if you're the only one in the contest:canada:, you're always the winner.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Actually, the OP probably cut and paste his article from some American outfit, so it is more than likely Americans criticizing Americans.

Once again, it was a typical post, regurgitation of someone else's hard work in the never ending Canadian quest to prove "who's is bigger than who's".

But if you're the only one in the contest:canada:, you're always the winner.

Darn straight. Mine's the biggest by the way.

Curiosity

Senate Member
Jul 30, 2005
California
John Hunt

What's with your neverending flamers at the USofA - does this elevate you in international circles or???

Ignorant accusations are hardly the measure of an intellect.

I guess the US will be upset you have a beef with them - even if you are passing along silly putty stuff for consideration. You must feel you are terribly important to that nation to be so obsessed with it.

The issues you wrote in your latest thrust of the sword are lessons learned at an early age by school children.

For the newcomers who continue to deluge the immigration people...civics are queried when one takes out Naturalization - there are 100 questions to be read with the answers learned. Your statements are on the list. I took the exam over a year ago and still remember the answers - you just don't forget if it means something.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
John Hunt

What's with your neverending flamers at the USofA - does this elevate you in international circles or???

What struck me is that many many many many posters on here seem to forget that we aren't americans. They see articles like this, and panic over 'the state of our affairs', completely forgetting that they aren't OURS. Westmanguy was a prime example, constantly referring to 'our political system' when discussing the US. John Hunt strikes me much the same. It's easy to glean all sorts of information out of the media regarding american politics, and become a self professed expert, all the while forgetting that it amounts to nothing since one has completely ignored their own country's needs while doing so.

Curiosity

Senate Member
Jul 30, 2005
California
Karrie

It has been that way for years on most of the Canadian forums I have visited.

The barrage of news constantly changing in the U.S. - it gives people something to write/talk about I guess.

I have lots of questions I want to ask about Canada but hold back because people accuse me of flaming....same as I did with John Hunt just now....

Never been able to figure it out....and when I first read things like this on forums I was gobsmacked....all these years I thought the two nations got along beautifully in their own distinct ways.

I think the internet forums have been superb for Canadians, long separated by such a huge piece of land and some just can't pick up and travel any time they want to.... this way Canadians can get to know each other....