Big Oil post-Katrina "maintenance" issues

dumpthemonarchy

House Member
Jan 18, 2005
Vancouver
www.cynicsunlimited.com
Two years after Katrina, Big Oil is still talking about "maintenance" of oil refineries and analysts keep lapping it up. Pul-lease. Shouldn't there be talk about "construction?" Construction of new oil refineries and output? Who on earth, when you are making big bucks like Big Oil is, talks of "maintenance" two years later after the fact?

We're being snowed big time. Maybe it is Peak Oil, there's not much more oil coming online and Big Oil isn't going to build new capacity nohow. No new refineries have been built for 30 years, how long can they be "maintained"?

See "maintenance" for dummies below

http://www.mercurynews.com/ci_6137327

normbc9

Electoral Member
Nov 23, 2006
California
Look at how Brazil dumped the big oil folks. They developed their own agricultural programs pointed towrds feeding the mnation and the by-products being used for ethanol production. The big guys rebelled and the government bought out their fuel dispensing locations, out ethanol in the tanks and disopense it at 86 octane for US0.49 cents a gallon. the big car manufacturers all have worked to develop variations of engines that run very well on the fuel and only one half of the pollutants are put into the atmosphere. This was a win-win situation for Brazil and it's peoples. In the US big oill is well represented in the government and they sure are on guard to make sure it doesn't happen here. Brazil still pumps oil but it is used to compound fuels for aviation, marine and railroad uses. Their next door neighbor Venezuela is heading in that direction too. I wish them all the best. We'll just sit on our hands here and watch big oil get wealthier and more powerful.

Jsan

Nominee Member
Apr 6, 2007
The Big Oil execs have discovered that all you have to do is say "Boo" and their greasy commodity goes up in price. It's easier than printing money. Boy I hope someone someday develops an efficient alternative energy source so we can put those greedy Oil bastards out of business!!

Unforgiven

Force majeure
May 28, 2007
Seems everyone knows a con when they see one, but are confused about what to do about it.

Unforgiven

Force majeure
May 28, 2007
When the environmentalists let them.

Like the environmentalists can stop them. If the environmentalists do anything it should be getting people off the grease. Mores the pity that fools won't change and the determination that served our culture well decades ago, has long since been turned off, bred out and addicted to convenience.

Toro

Senate Member
Like the environmentalists can stop them.

8O8O

Are you joking? Its the environmental lobby that is the number one impediment to building new refineries in this country. I know it doesn't fit the quaint "Evil Oil Companies Rule the World" thesis that some like to assuage themselves with, but ask an oil executive what is their biggest obstacle is to building new sites, and this is what they'll tell you it is all the environmental regulation and resistance they get from the environmental lobby. (Well, in fairness, NIMBYism is as powerful as environmentalism, perhaps more so, but I shan't quibble.)

The oil companies have been trying to build a refinery in the States for decades. With refining margins as high as $20 a barrel a few months ago and the companies swimming in cash, they would do so in a heartbeat. They have no problem building refineries in Asia, and are doing so today. But not in America.

Unforgiven

Force majeure
May 28, 2007
Location location location.
No one wants to build a refinery in the middle of nowhere with a rail link. Only on the coast where population is drawn and property values are huge. Is it any wonder why someone would be opposed to having a huge oil refinery next to them dropping their property values through the floor?

No one has any problem with a refinery in the desert yet there is no oil company at all interested in that. Profit margines are far better with a shortage now. Sure, they will build a refinery in lower Manhatten. No? Ok how about in Florida where all the tourists flock to the beaches? Not there either?
Well then there is no satisfying some people. It's not like the oil companies aren't trying right? :roll:

8O8O

Are you joking? Its the environmental lobby that is the number one impediment to building new refineries in this country. I know it doesn't fit the quaint "Evil Oil Companies Rule the World" thesis that some like to assuage themselves with, but ask an oil executive what is their biggest obstacle is to building new sites, and this is what they'll tell you it is all the environmental regulation and resistance they get from the environmental lobby. (Well, in fairness, NIMBYism is as powerful as environmentalism, perhaps more so, but I shan't quibble.)

The oil companies have been trying to build a refinery in the States for decades. With refining margins as high as $20 a barrel a few months ago and the companies swimming in cash, they would do so in a heartbeat. They have no problem building refineries in Asia, and are doing so today. But not in America.

Avro

Time Out
Feb 12, 2007
Oshawa
8O8O

:lol::lol:

Oh come on! You don't actually buy that excuse do you? Yes, Toro, the oil companies don't have a powerful lobby, keep telling yourself that.:roll: If there was some sort of incentive for oil compnies to reduce the price of oil and make less money then more refineries would be built. Personally I like the high price of oil and I hope it doubles in the next year like some have predicted.

It would be nice however if some of that money went to actually rebuilding the area devastated by Katrina which is a scandal in itself. This in the richest nation on earth, you should be ashamed of yourselves.:roll:

Toro

Senate Member
Location location location.
No one wants to build a refinery in the middle of nowhere with a rail link. Only on the coast where population is drawn and property values are huge. Is it any wonder why someone would be opposed to having a huge oil refinery next to them dropping their property values through the floor?

They are building LNG plants on the coast. Doesn't seem to be a problem for them.

http://www.cheniere.com/LNG_terminals/terminals.shtml

No one has any problem with a refinery in the desert yet there is no oil company at all interested in that. Profit margines are far better with a shortage now.

Seems to be no problem when there is a hospitable government.

http://www.greencarcongress.com/2005/10/alberta_governm.html

Unforgiven

Force majeure
May 28, 2007
Wouldn't it be interesting to see who holds or held title to the land they are building on? Do tell though, how is the refinery business doing in Florida where brother Jeb is not allowing it? Not to mention that there is a vast difference between Liquid Natural Gas terminal and an Oil Refinery. Last I checked, it's gasoline at the pumps not LNG.

They are building LNG plants on the coast. Doesn't seem to be a problem for them.

http://www.cheniere.com/LNG_terminals/terminals.shtml

Seems to be no problem when there is a hospitable government.

http://www.greencarcongress.com/2005/10/alberta_governm.html

Logic 7

Council Member
Jul 17, 2006
8O8O

LOL, i admit sometimes , you make me laugh.

The main goal of United states regarding Oil ressources, is to get it first around the world, and when there is nothing left, they will use theirs own,have you ever play age of empire?

Zbigniew Brzezinski -the grandchessboard, i strongly suggest it to you, you willl understand what is going on right now in middle east.

Toro

Senate Member
Wouldn't it be interesting to see who holds or held title to the land they are building on?

Yes, its Cheniere Energy. They are a public company. When I first saw them, all they had was land and a concept.

Do tell though, how is the refinery business doing in Florida where brother Jeb is not allowing it?
Florida exactly proves my point. The cartoonish, conspiracy-laden views of the Logic7's who believe that the world is a slave to the oil puppetmasters, and Avro's binary straw man argument that energy either does or does not have a powerful lobby simply based on refinery capacity is demolished by the fact that nobody in Florida wants not only a refinery but any drilling off the coasts of Florida. Nobody in Florida wants it. Period. So it hasn't happened.

And the insinuation that Jeb Bush is somehow behind is it not an argument any serious individual would remotely consider.

Not to mention that there is a vast difference between Liquid Natural Gas terminal and an Oil Refinery. Last I checked, it's gasoline at the pumps not LNG.
This has what to do land values on the coast and the inability to get vast and highly dangerous plants built?