2000 Nato troops launch huge assault against the Taliban

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
Brits lead huge Taliban assault

By ONLINE REPORTER
April 30, 2007

British soldiers in Afghanistan

A BRITISH led mission involving more than 2,000 NATO and Afghan troops was launched this morning to drive Taliban fighters from their heartland in southern Afghanistan.

The British-led Operation Silicon, launched before dawn on Monday, is the latest attempt to extend the shaky control of President Hamid Karzai's government in Helmand province, officials said.

Military officials said the effort involved some 1,100 British troops, 600 US soldiers and more from the Netherlands, Denmark, Estonia and Canada. Over 1,000 Afghan government troops were also taking part.

"The troops are targeting Helmand's Sangin Valley, an area near Afghanistan's strategic ring road that has for too long been under the semi-control of the Taliban," said Lieutenant Colonel Stuart Carver, a British commander.

"It is all part of a longer-term plan to restore the whole of Helmand to government control," Lieutenant Colonel Carver said.

"You have to do it a piece at a time."

thesun.co.uk

folcar

Electoral Member
Mar 26, 2007
When well over 100 000 Russian troops who were not as restrained as the forces we have there are couldn't do it, it seems this operation is little more than an effort of futility.

Logic 7

Council Member
Jul 17, 2006
Brits lead huge Taliban assault

By ONLINE REPORTER
April 30, 2007

British soldiers in Afghanistan

A BRITISH led mission involving more than 2,000 NATO and Afghan troops was launched this morning to drive Taliban fighters from their heartland in southern Afghanistan.

thesun.co.uk

And this is the evidence of what your article is saying, i am impress, by your critical behavior blackleaf.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
When well over 100 000 Russian troops who were not as restrained as the forces we have there are couldn't do it, it seems this operation is little more than an effort of futility.

Different situation:

The Russians were trying to de-populate the countryside in Afghanistan, they could claim support only among the Army and gov't of their puppets...........they alienated EVERYBODY else, and the entire nation took up arms against them.

There were millions of refugees from that war......none from this war, which speaks of the difference very clearly.

Logic 7

Council Member
Jul 17, 2006
Different situation:

The Russians were trying to de-populate the countryside in Afghanistan, they could claim support only among the Army and gov't of their puppets...........they alienated EVERYBODY else, and the entire nation took up arms against them.

There were millions of refugees from that war......none from this war, which speaks of the difference very clearly.

There is also refugee from this war, it is just not stated in US- Western-chicken-media, there is also a lot of peoples who are starting to join the taliban, otherwise, taliban would be dead for a long time.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
The question is how much of the Taliban is actually Afghanis, and how many come from elsewhere?

As well, there may be some people driven from homes by this conflict......there usually are in war........but far from the six million (one fifth of the total population) that fled during the Russian occupation. This was the largest refugee situation ever in the world.

We are now 5 and one half years into this little spat............and our casualty count is tiny, tiny. In the nine years of the Soviet invasion, 14,453 Russians were killed, and over 53,000 were wounded by enemy action.

So far, the United States and NATO have suffered 626 deaths in Afghanistan, and that includes 62 Spanish soldiers killed in an accidental plane crash in Pakistan.

When you look at the facts, any attempt to compare our mission to help the Afghan people to the monstrous Soviet invasion is disingenuous at best.

Logic 7

Council Member
Jul 17, 2006
The question is how much of the Taliban is actually Afghanis, and how many come from elsewhere?

As well, there may be some people driven from homes by this conflict......there usually are in war........but far from the six million (one fifth of the total population) that fled during the Russian occupation. This was the largest refugee situation ever in the world.

We are now 5 and one half years into this little spat............and our casualty count is tiny, tiny. In the nine years of the Soviet invasion, 14,453 Russians were killed, and over 53,000 were wounded by enemy action.

So far, the United States and NATO have suffered 626 deaths in Afghanistan, and that includes 62 Spanish soldiers killed in an accidental plane crash in Pakistan.

When you look at the facts, any attempt to compare our mission to help the Afghan people to the monstrous Soviet invasion is disingenuous at best.

Facts= Russians invaded afganisthan with the help of Northen alliance, their ennemy, mujahadeen

today= Us coaltion invaded afganisthan with the help of Northen alliance, their ennemy, taliban

And what is the connection beetween taliban and mujahadeen?

they ennemy are the Northen alliance and external threath.

And why do you think there was so many russian killed?

Cia was helping oussama and mujahadeen with satellite to tell them where was the Northen alliance(just a coincidence that today they are canadians and nato alllies) and the russians.

And what is your source of what you are saying about talibans coming from other country? national post, or any other crédible news sources?

Well it is the same goal, have a look at this documentary where you clearly see a debate beetween gorbatchev and richard perle, very funny, and you will learn many thing from this invasion of the soviet.

http://www.archive.org/about/javascript-required.htm

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
Are wetrying to de-populate the countryside?

No, we are trying to rebuild the countryside into something liveable.

Have we driven 6 million Afghans from the country causing a massive refugee problem?

No. Displacement has been minimal.

Have the Afghans as a people taken up arms against us?

No. There is some Taliban resurgence, but there most definitely is NOT a nation-wide call to arms, or anything like it.

You should read up on Soviet tactics and strategic aims at the time......you'll get a look at the behaviour of a REAL oppressor

mabudon

Metal King
Mar 15, 2006
Golden Horseshoe, Ontario
LINK
Hmmm.... says there that two million folks fled to Iran alone- could just be propaganda, of course :D

Still, looks to me like another disingenuous phenomenon in this thread is the attempt to make it seem like this particular attempt at occupying Afghanistan is any different (or I guess the common slant is "better") than any of the previous ones

able

Electoral Member
Apr 26, 2007
Where I have a problem is the description. 2,000 men is less than 2 battalions, hardly what I would call a world beating force, but it does seem to be repeating Viet Nam. The military has this fixation with set piece battles, we come in large numbers, you meet us in large numbers, and we destroy you with our superior firepower. Of course, the enemy isn't as stupid as this wishful strategy is, they simoly fade away to pick a fight another day on their terms. To those who have never been in the military, the headline sounds impressive, to those who have, it is an indication that frustration has set in, nothing is working, so let's make a big noise, make it look like we're finally accomplishing something, thus, get the politicians off our back. In the end, nothing has changed, and everything will return to normal. Of course, if you take into account the number of men available, then I suppose it is the best they could do. The disturbing part to me is, the young men will continue to die in small numbers, the body bags will still come home, and we will still be told that we are winning.

Logic 7

Council Member
Jul 17, 2006
Are wetrying to de-populate the countryside?

No, we are trying to rebuild the countryside into something liveable.

Since when we rebuild something with tank, soldiers etcc?

Have we driven 6 million Afghans from the country causing a massive refugee problem?

No. Displacement has been minimal.

bullstrawberry crap, what mabudon posted proved it.

Have the Afghans as a people taken up arms against us?

No. There is some Taliban resurgence, but there most definitely is NOT a nation-wide call to arms, or anything like it.

explain to me why taliban arent dead yet?

You should read up on Soviet tactics and strategic aims at the time......you'll get a look at the behaviour of a REAL oppressor

Look at the documentary i just link, and come back to me after that.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
You guys really don't have a clue.

Iran had 2.3 million Afghan refugees within its borders in 1986. These are part of the 6 million that fled the Soviet invasion, and are only now being forcibly repatriated. they ARE NOT refugees from the American/NATO actions since 2001.

There are new refugees from those actions......about ten thousand in Iran, and 160,000 in Pakistan. there has been a larger number of refugees voluntarily returning to Afghanistan than have left since 2001.

try to get your facts straight.
http://countrystudies.us/iran/35.htm

able

Electoral Member
Apr 26, 2007
Hope you weren't including me as you guys, I don't count refugees, I count body bags.

mabudon

Metal King
Mar 15, 2006
Golden Horseshoe, Ontario
Okay, okay, I was not aware of the actual numbers over the timeline, I'll admit that

Regardless of that, tho, I wonder what two million displaced refugees are gonna think upon returning to the "model democracy" that we've built for them...... I'd estimate that 500,000 of them should be combat-ready and if they aren't furious yet, they will be when they see what we've done to their homeland

Logic 7

Council Member
Jul 17, 2006
You guys really don't have a clue.

Iran had 2.3 million Afghan refugees within its borders in 1986. These are part of the 6 million that fled the Soviet invasion, and are only now being forcibly repatriated. they ARE NOT refugees from the American/NATO actions since 2001.

There are new refugees from those actions......about ten thousand in Iran, and 160,000 in Pakistan. there has been a larger number of refugees voluntarily returning to Afghanistan than have left since 2001.

try to get your facts straight.
http://countrystudies.us/iran/35.htm

That doesnt answer my questions in my last posts, moreover, where is your source that more refugee returned to afganisthan than left since 2001?

folcar

Electoral Member
Mar 26, 2007
Seems to me that with large parts of the country in Taliban Hands, limited and spread out Nato Forces, wide spread unemployment, the Taliban recruiting the unemployed because they pay and provide food, civilian casualties caused by both sides, the Taliban and Al-Queda having a very convienent safe zone the Nato forces won't enter AKA Pakistan. If greater military force was brought to the region with the Pakistani's agree'g to push out the Taliban and Al-Queda or allow Nato at them. I would say we would have a fighting chance of accomplishing the rebuild and establishment of a democracy, but everything i have seen in the mainstream media and the not so mainstream indicates that we are promoting small victories amidst daily set backs. The area of Afghanistan actually controlled is small, and even then is still subject to attack. The population that would side with NATO outside of the protected area wouldn't dare as Taliban reprisals to them are all to real, and in terms of propaganda there are reports daily that are attempting to discredit the mission. Currently the prisoner torture debate! It is fast becoming another Vietnam and victory at current will be marginal at the very best.

RomSpaceKnight

Council Member
Oct 30, 2006
London, Ont. Canada
The USSR could not subjigate Afghanistan. The British Empire stopped at the Khyber Pass. Pakistan's border area with Afghanistan is an autonomous area. Maybe NATO has bitten off more than it can chew in trying to bring peace and democracy to the area.