Canada, going down American Drains

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
Leaked document reveals bulk water exports to be discussed at continental integration talks

By Council of Canadians

Global Research, May 1, 2007
Council of Canadians

Ottawa – The leaked document of a prominent Washington-based think tank obtained by the Council of Canadians reveals that government officials and business leaders from Canada, Mexico and the United States are scheduled to discuss bulk water exports in a closed-door meeting at the end of the month as part of a larger discussion on North American integration.​
Titled the “North American Future 2025 Project,” the initiative being led by the U.S.-based Center for Strategic and International Studies, the Conference Board of Canada and the Mexican Centro de Investigación y Docencia Económicas calls for a series of “closed-door meetings” on North American integration dealing with a number of highly contentious issues including bulk water exports, a joint security perimeter and a continental resource pact.​
According to the document, a roundtable on the “Future of the North American Environment,” is planned for Friday April 27 in Calgary, and will discuss “water consumption, water transfers and artificial diversions of bulk water” with the aim of achieving “joint optimum utilization of the available water.”​
"This is just the latest in a series of closed-door meetings that grant the business sector privileged access while shutting out the public,” says Maude Barlow, national chairperson of the Council of Canadians. “The document is damning not just because it outlines a process that lacks transparency and accountability,” says Barlow, “but also because of what is being discussed by governments and so-called corporate stakeholders.”​
The document also reveals that “trilateral coordination of energy policy” and the development of “North American security architecture” are being discussed by high-level government officials from Canada, the U.S. and Mexico.​
The Council of Canadians is demanding that the Canadian government cease all further participation in such talks on North American integration until there is parliamentary debate and meaningful public consultation on the issue.

To consult the leaked document Leaked document: North American Future 2025 Project (PDF format)
Center for Strategic and International Studies (CSIS)​

http://www.globalresearch.ca/index.php?context=section&sectionName=membership

http://www.globalresearch.ca/www.globalresearch.ca

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
I heard somewhere that Canada has three-quarters of the world's supply of fresh water. Unless everyone here is really bloody thirsty...

wallyj

just special
May 7, 2006
not in Kansas anymore
If we can safely export our resources to another country,let's do it.There is some that think any talks with the U.S. is really,really bad and will only lead to us becoming the 51st province. How immature. The states are our largest trading partner,by far,and will get along without us a lot better than we will without them.

the caracal kid

the clan of the claw
Nov 28, 2005
www.kdm.ca
I see it as funny that the talks what in essence is water privatization is occuring in calgary, a city that privatized its groundwaters and is at the risk of having no public water supply should the projections of the bow and elbow running dry prove true.

More seriously, when will canada learn that bulk exportation of raw goods does not do canada any good? have all forms of entrepreneurialism been bred out of this place?

Stretch

House Member
Feb 16, 2003
Australia
If we can safely export our resources to another country,let's do it.There is some that think any talks with the U.S. is really,really bad and will only lead to us becoming the 51st province. How immature. The states are our largest trading partner,by far,and will get along without us a lot better than we will without them.
You heard of the North American Union......?
the good ol' us of g don't have friends, just people they haven't attacked yet.
wont be long till a war is fought over water rather than oil...water being more important than oil.

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
Dealing with the USA usually ends up in one being shafted (how free is free trade? Softwood lumber?). Simple as that. If they want our water (like they don't have any of their own), they should pay through their beaks for it.
I've been saying for quite a few years now that Canada should goddam well develop more trade with others on the planet and quit relying so heavily on trade with the US. Ah, but no, things are comfy cozy as is. Stick with the status quo, it'll last forever.

I think not

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 12, 2005
The Evil Empire
Dealing with the USA usually ends up in one being shafted (how free is free trade? Softwood lumber?). Simple as that.
Not quite that simple. Softwood Lumber was never part of NAFTA. The US wanted softwood out of NAFTA and Canada wanted cultural issues out of NAFTA. You got what you asked for.
If they want our water (like they don't have any of their own), they should pay through their beaks for it.
Markets dictate price not wishful thinking.
I've been saying for quite a few years now that Canada should goddam well develop more trade with others on the planet and quit relying so heavily on trade with the US. Ah, but no, things are comfy cozy as is. Stick with the status quo, it'll last forever.
Look into your history and take a close look how many of your PM's tried "diversifying" your exports. Nobody is interested.

Reactions: crit13

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
Not quite that simple. Softwood Lumber was never part of NAFTA. The US wanted softwood out of NAFTA and Canada wanted cultural issues out of NAFTA. You got what you asked for.
Wrong. We got what pols settled for. Big diff.
Markets dictate price not wishful thinking.
Demand dictates pricing. Why is fuel so high? There's no shortage. Canada has enough to last itself for another few hundred years. People are willing to pay the price so the price stays up.
Look into your history and take a close look how many of your PM's tried "diversifying" your exports. Nobody is interested.
Countries change: like Russia, Venezuela, China. Even Canada isn't the same as it was in its history.

I think not

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 12, 2005
The Evil Empire
Wrong. We got what pols settled for. Big diff.
Either way, softwood lumber isn't part of NAFTA.
Demand dictates pricing. Why is fuel so high? There's no shortage. Canada has enough to last itself for another few hundred years. People are willing to pay the price so the price stays up.
I imagine because you don't have enough refining capacity, not to mention your inter-provincial trade barriers, and your whopping gas tax.
Countries change: like Russia, Venezuela, China. Even Canada isn't the same as it was in its history.
Well then what's stopping you?

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
Either way, softwood lumber isn't part of NAFTA.
I didn't say it was.
I imagine because you don't have enough refining capacity, not to mention your inter-provincial trade barriers, and your whopping gas tax.
You folks don't have high fuel prices? :roll:
Well then what's stopping you?
It's happening, but not very quickly.

the caracal kid

the clan of the claw
Nov 28, 2005
www.kdm.ca

very pertinent points, i think not.

refining capacity: have you researched the history of refining in canada? On the surface it has that "made in canada problem" appearance of the dumb canadian exploiting resources, and being exploited by those he sells it to.

our inter-provincial trade barriers are a serious issue that has not been addressed accordingly by our politicians. As with so much in Canada though, the provinces bicker amungst each other to the detriment of all.

Our gas taxes are not so whopping. the issue with our gas taxes is the same that there is with most of our taxes: the money goes into the government pool rather than being directed to programs related to what is being taxed.

I think not

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 12, 2005
The Evil Empire
the issue with our gas taxes is the same that there is with most of our taxes: the money goes into the government pool rather than being directed to programs related to what is being taxed.
On average (unless I am mistaken) one third of your gas prices goes towards taxes (federal & provincial), I would say that's whopping.

BitWhys

what green dots?
Apr 5, 2006
I heard somewhere that Canada has three-quarters of the world's supply of fresh water. Unless everyone here is really bloody thirsty...

Other than the whole "the ecosystem probably needs a good chunk of it" thing I think we can come up with an inch or two of water levels to accomodate them but they better bring their chequebook. Until then I hope D'Aquino et al enjoy that little sandbox the politicos set up for them.

keeps Maude on her toes, though, don't it? :lol:

Last edited:

ottawa224

Apr 16, 2007
overbrook
It is wrong to sell the water itself. If mexico and U.S what to pay for the land and pipes to run the water, I'm for it. In exchange for the water, U.S should sofen up on other exports.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
We could build a half dozen water pipelines to the U.S. and sell our water wholesale. The problem is: How will we ever shut them off? Populations in the U.S. will grow and Canadian water will become a way of life that they would go to war to keep. Our water supply, like the oil, is not infinite. We shouldn't even be discussing this with them. Water should already be more valuable than oil.

Outta here

Senate Member
Jul 8, 2005
Edmonton AB
I've been wondering something about this issue of water for awhile now. We have the technology to convert salt water into fresh water, yes? I understand there would be a great deal of expense involved in processing the amount of water needed to provide what will be required in the not too distant future. However, would this not be an expense well worth investing in? I assume there must be other hindrances to this otherwise quite obvious solution, but I don't know what they are. Can anyone school me a little about this?

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
I've been wondering something about this issue of water for awhile now. We have the technology to convert salt water into fresh water, yes? I understand there would be a great deal of expense involved in processing the amount of water needed to provide what will be required in the not too distant future. However, would this not be an expense well worth investing in? I assume there must be other hindrances to this otherwise quite obvious solution, but I don't know what they are. Can anyone school me a little about this?

The conversion of salt water to fresh, takes only energy. You boil the water and condense the steam and voila, fresh water. It is not without problems. This takes a fair amount of energy and you have to do something with the salt. You could just dump the salt back into the ocean but I don't know what the ecological ramifications might be. Right now, we don't need desalination. The U.S. does. We sure don't want to use it so we can pipe water to the U.S.. We are already polluting our air in a couple locations to generate power to sell to the U.S.

link