The Value of Gold

s_lone

Council Member
Feb 16, 2005
Montreal
What is the true value of gold?

What practical use does it have that justifies it being a central focus of economy?

the caracal kid

the clan of the claw
Nov 28, 2005
www.kdm.ca
practical? that is not the basis for it being a "precious metal". Its status mostly comes down to being "pretty" and its availability.

hermanntrude

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Jun 23, 2006
Newfoundland!
it's actually starting to be incredibly useful to us chemists. Particularly in nanotechnology we often need a surface which isnt prone to oxidation but can still be modified chemically. Gold fits the bill like almost nothing else. I use it a lot.

s_lone

Council Member
Feb 16, 2005
Montreal
it's actually starting to be incredibly useful to us chemists. Particularly in nanotechnology we often need a surface which isnt prone to oxidation but can still be modified chemically. Gold fits the bill like almost nothing else. I use it a lot.

Well there you go, that is a practical use of gold. But does this justify it being an important economic factor in 2007?

hermanntrude

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Jun 23, 2006
Newfoundland!
lol probably not. I dont know much about the subject but i expect it comes down to tradition. It was originally the very same thing as money, mostly because it was shiny

s_lone

Council Member
Feb 16, 2005
Montreal
some standard for trading needed to be established. I don't recall how gold was selected as "the" metal of choice.

Who will really want to buy gold when the world is in a state of crisis? What is precious nowadays is energy. Shouldn't gold be scrapped for some form ''energetic'' value?

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
Isn't gold also used quite a bit in high tech electronics? I remember hearing about a company that recycles and refurbishes used mobile phones. Gold was one of the rare earth metals they could get from the old phones.

Toro

Senate Member
I just learned how to use the "multi" button!

Ok... so why is it precious? Why does the US Federal Reserve Bank hold about 3% of the gold ever mined?

Because it is considered money.

Well there you go, that is a practical use of gold. But does this justify it being an important economic factor in 2007?

It is not an important factor. However, because the volume of gold mined relative to demand has risen less than the volume of dollars created, its value rises.

Who will really want to buy gold when the world is in a state of crisis? What is precious nowadays is energy. Shouldn't gold be scrapped for some form ''energetic'' value?

In a state of true crisis, precious metals will be the true medium of exchange and store value. Oil will not because it is too difficult to transact and its far more abundant than gold. But this will almost certainly never happen.

Reactions: Tonington

s_lone

Council Member
Feb 16, 2005
Montreal
In a state of true crisis, precious metals will be the true medium of exchange and store value. Oil will not because it is too difficult to transact and its far more abundant than gold. But this will almost certainly never happen.

But why would anyone even care about gold in a real state of crisis? Wouldn't we just trade truly energetic stuff like food, water, gas etc.?

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
It amazes me the length peoeple will go for gold... nazis prying gold fillings from dead jews mouths strikes me as the most brazen.