UN predicts huge migration to rich countries

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
Between now and 2050 Britain's population will grow more than any other major European country. It'll grow by 15% to almost 70 million. Britain's nearest competitor, France, will grow by 10.7% and Spain by 4.8%. The populations of Germany, Italy and Russia will SHRINK.

UN predicts huge migration to rich countries

By David Blair

15/03/2007

At least 2.2 million migrants will arrive in the rich world every year from now until 2050, the United Nations said yesterday.

Europe's population change: Britain's population, already undergoing its fastest growth since the 1950s, will grow more than any other major European nation between now and 2020 - by 15% to as good as 70 million. Germany's will shrink by -10.3%.

Britain's population will rise from 60 million to approaching 69 million by 2050 - almost entirely because of immigration.

The latest figures from the UN's population division predict a global upheaval without parallel in human history over the next four decades.

There will be billions more people in Africa, Asia and the Middle East. Of these, tens of millions will migrate to Europe and America, while the indigenous populations of most countries in the rich world will either stagnate or decline.

In total, the world's population will grow by 2.5 billion and reach about 9.2 billion by 2050.

This increase - almost all of which will occur in Africa, Asia and the Middle East - is the equivalent of the global population in 1950.

While some countries will grow exponentially, others will shrink dramatically.

The UN predicts the steady depopulation of vast areas of eastern Europe and the former Communist world, as a result of high levels of emigration and birth rates running persistently below replacement levels.

Bulgaria's population will fall by 35 per cent by 2050. Ukraine's will plummet by 33 per cent, Russia's by one quarter and Poland's by one fifth. There will be 10 per cent fewer Germans and seven per cent fewer Italians.

But the flow of migrants across borders will dramatically increase the populations of other developed countries.

"The population of the more developed regions is expected to remain largely unchanged at 1.2 billion, and would have declined, were it not for the projected net migration from developing to developed countries," said the UN.

The level of sustained, mass migration across borders that the world will experience over the next four decades is unprecedented.

Between 1970 and 1980, the rich world took about one million migrants a year from poor countries. During the next 43 years, immigration will run at more than twice that level and approach 2.3 million every year from now until 2050.

Of these migrants, some 400,000 will leave Africa every year and about 1.2 million will emigrate from Asia. The gap in wealth and opportunity between the rich and poor worlds will be the most significant "pull factor" behind this change. But the pressure exerted by rapidly rising populations in developing countries will also be an important underlying cause.

By 2050, India will have the highest population in the world, totalling almost 1.7 billion people. There will be 292 million Pakistanis, giving their country the fifth biggest population. Nigeria will have 289 million people - making it the world's sixth most populous country - and Uganda's population will rise to 93 million,
comfortably exceeding the totals in both its larger neighbours, Kenya and Tanzania.

This massive population growth will lead to land degradation on a huge scale and place an immense strain on the limited water resources of poor countries. Malawi cannot feed its present population of 13 million - and every year its soils become more degraded and yields steadily fewer crops.

By 2050, the UN forecasts that it will have almost 32 million people - more than twice as many as today. Population growth on this scale will almost certainly leave Malawi permanently dependent on international food aid to keep millions of its people alive.

The UN's population predictions have proved largely accurate in the past. While the margin of error for these figures runs into the millions, the broad trends they disclose are undisputed.

telegraph.co.uk

hermanntrude

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Jun 23, 2006
Newfoundland!
clever graph. cheerfully blanked out the countries which don't support their theory by the looks of it. the telegraph is renowned for being anti-immigration and scaremongery. My mother reads it and she's insane about the subject, so much so i cant talk about it with her

westmanguy

Council Member
Feb 3, 2007
Canada has the highest growth out of all the G8 nations...

Immigrants are coming in scores to select countries, and they are NEVER content with coming for a better life, they want to revamp our society to allow their customs to become mainstream.

You want a society where your life is the norm: STAY WHERE YOU CAME FROM!!

Come to Canada, be free in your church or home, but PLEASE be Canadian in public!

I like the USA melting pot. You come to the USA, your free to be you in your home and church, but you conform to the US culture in public.

Your not forced to but society expects it.

And Canada is not expecting and conform to our public culture... which makes us a haven for immigrants.

They come here, and are free to demand changes!

hermanntrude

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Jun 23, 2006
Newfoundland!
dude this thread isnt even specifically about canadian immigration.

Immigrants are coming in scores to select countries, and they are NEVER content with coming for a better life, they want to revamp our society to allow their customs to become mainstream.

Not true. many of us believe canada is a better place and admire the canadian way of life. Please don't tar all immigrants with the same brush. it's probably not even the majority, but it's the only segment you'll hear about on the news because there are people who are trying to light a fire under your arse.

Free to demand but not necessarily actually have their demands met. Can you actually name a time when immigrants made a demand which was made law without good reason?

westmanguy

Council Member
Feb 3, 2007
Ok, I am sorry.

But you know what I mean? You get these certain immigrants on the news, and they annoy you so much, and you assume the rest are all like them.

Like a few select natives on the news that are annoying as heck, and you group them with all natives.

You get this small annoying group of people who want everything to change when they move hear, and they demand this and that.

And the rest of the good immigrants who are content with their lives are grouped with these other people and are subject to intolerance.

I, like alot of people (what about you), don't like people who come here and want to change things? Do you like when immigrants come and demand changes?

And Canada has made many changes to meet immigrants demands!

hermanntrude

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Jun 23, 2006
Newfoundland!
well personally I feel that an immigrant doesnt have much right to demand large changes, but can respectfully suggest changes if they a) don't affect anyone else or b) are beneficial to society as a whole. This is where the problems start of course because many people feel that any suggestion made by an immigrant is obviously not of any benefit to the country because they've watched the news too much, and by the time they hear about any of the changes suggested they've been twisted out of recognition by the scandal-hunting journalists.

I was considering coming to canada before I even met my wife. It was between here and australia. When i met my wife the decision was made for me. the reason i started to think about Canada is that I admired the way things go here, I loved the unpopulated-ness and the high taxes being used for a high standard of living.

I still suspect (although i'll admit i dont know for sure) that there arent many changes that have been made for immigrants which affect your life in a negative manner.

Curiosity

Senate Member
Jul 30, 2005
California
It is now and has been for some time - my prayer that the United Nations will itself migrate to a filthy rich country which can support all of its money flinging membership!

Puhleeeese....

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
In 1985...I fail to see how that specifically was demanded by new immigrants, more a result of our Charter and the fact that we are multicultural....

Edit: here is the legislation Hermann

snfu73

disturber of the peace
Canada has the highest growth out of all the G8 nations...

You want a society where your life is the norm: STAY WHERE YOU CAME FROM!!

Come to Canada, be free in your church or home, but PLEASE be Canadian in public!

I like the USA melting pot. You come to the USA, your free to be you in your home and church, but you conform to the US culture in public.

Your not forced to but society expects it.

And Canada is not expecting and conform to our public culture... which makes us a haven for immigrants.

So, you have a flood of imigrants there in rural manitoba messing around with your culture? Have you ever even seen anyone that didn't have a farmer tan? Dude...more racism? Come on. Your blanket statements, your stereotypes...it's all junk. No one wants to take away from YOUR culture, they just want to be able to have some of their customs preserved. I see nothing wrong with that? In fact, if I recall, you were the guy who wants YOUR religion kept pure by telling your friends how offended you get by people using the lords name in vain. Again...as long as YOUR rights are protected, everything is cool...if someone else tries to have their rights protected...it's bad in your books. Guess what, dude, you ain't the only guy on the planet.

snfu73

disturber of the peace
The Multiculturalism Act
What exactly is wrong with the multiculturalism act? You want a monocultural society? Keep in mind, we are ALL immigrants here. This country, as we know it, was built by immigrants....mostly on stolen or swindled land. We brought customs and traditions with us that we still hold on to...still hold dear. We are a product of our homelands. To demand that new immigrants completely surrender their identity to conform to YOUR vision of what a Canadian should be is bull.

tamarin

House Member
Jun 12, 2006
Oshawa ON
So what does planet Earth have to say about 9.2 billion humans? It's a huge number. There should be plans afoot right now to deal with this nonsense. Overpopulation is every bit as important as global warming and - more importantly - no one denies it's happening. So where is overpop's own Kyoto agreement?

Curiosity

Senate Member
Jul 30, 2005
California
Tamarin

Good question - you don't want to ruffle the U.N. with that - overpopulation seems to be a conundrum for most of their major players these days....best we tiptoe around it and pretend it doesn't exist....

tamarin

House Member
Jun 12, 2006
Oshawa ON
Curiosity, the century's single most pressing issue is biodiversity. Sustaining it, protecting it. Overpopulation is a scourge. There should be caps on population. Hey, just imagine at the same time as they're setting up a global trading market for emission credits we could be setting up a global trading market in population credits. Would that ever piss off India and China.

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
So what does planet Earth have to say about 9.2 billion humans? It's a huge number. There should be plans afoot right now to deal with this nonsense. Overpopulation is every bit as important as global warming and - more importantly - no one denies it's happening. So where is overpop's own Kyoto agreement?

If you're sincere there is something you can do personally to partially corect the problem.:smile:

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
Curiosity, the century's single most pressing issue is biodiversity. Sustaining it, protecting it. Overpopulation is a scourge. There should be caps on population. Hey, just imagine at the same time as they're setting up a global trading market for emission credits we could be setting up a global trading market in population credits. Would that ever piss off India and China.

There is a formula for that very adjustment, a global head tax of some sort, I think the book was Stand on Zanzibar by Dalgren somebodyorother.:alien:

Curiosity

Senate Member
Jul 30, 2005
California

Tamarin

I like your thinking...... ever consider going into politics? We could use some level heads like yours.