Khalid Sheikh Mohammed Acknowledges Planning Sept. 11 Attacks

Toro

Senate Member
Okay, conspiracists.

Khalid Sheikh Mohammed Acknowledges Planning Sept. 11 Attacks

By Paul Tighe and Ken Fireman

March 15 (Bloomberg) -- Khalid Sheikh Mohammed acknowledged he was al-Qaeda's commander responsible for organizing the Sept. 11 attacks in the U.S. ``from A to Z,'' according to a transcript of a hearing released by the U.S. Defense Department.

``I was the military operational commander for all foreign operations around the world'' under the leadership of Osama bin Laden, Mohammed said in a statement read to a tribunal at Guantanamo Bay, Cuba by a U.S. military officer acting as his personnel representative.

Mohammed's list of terrorist operations he oversaw included the 1993 World Trade Center bombing, an attack on a nightclub in Bali, Indonesia, and planned attacks on buildings in New York, Chicago, California and Washington state, according to the transcript released yesterday.

Mohammed is among 14 suspected terrorist leaders transferred to Guantanamo Bay in September after being held by the Central Intelligence Agency. The U.S. is conducting hearings to establish whether the detainees are enemy combatants and will continue to be detained at the prison where the U.S. holds about 435 people, some of them captured after the Taliban regime was ousted from power in Afghanistan in 2001.

Mohammed responded to questions by the tribunal president that he was the author of the document outlining his involvement in al-Qaeda's operations by saying: ``That's right'' and ``That's true,'' according to the transcript.

Al-Qaeda is engaged in a war, Mohammed told the tribunal in a closing statement.

``The language of war is victims, I don't like to kill people,'' he said, according to the transcript. ``I'm not happy that 3,000 been killed in America. I feel sorry even. I don't like to kill children.''

Definitions of detainees as terrorists or enemy combatants are made by the CIA, he said. He asked the authorities to be fair with Guantanamo detainees who aren't combatants.

Hearings Held

Mohammed's tribunal began March 10, and hearings for Ramzi Mohamed Abdullah Binalshibh and Abu Faraj al-Libi took place a day earlier, Bryan Whitman, a Pentagon spokesman, said March 12, according to a report by the Defense Department's American Forces Press Service. Not all the detainees chose to appear before the panel, he said.

Transcripts from the hearings are edited to remove information that may be dangerous to national security, Whitman said last week, according to the Defense Department's Web site. The 14 leaders are ``unique for the role that they have played in terrorist operations,'' he said at the time.

High Value

The hearings, known as the Combatant Status Review Tribunals, are being held without media coverage because the 14 are high- value detainees, Whitman said March 6. There is no time limit for the hearings, which involve the same process that all detainees at the prison go through, he added.

Mohammed was arrested in March 2003 in Rawalpindi in an operation by the Pakistani and U.S. intelligence services. Binalshibh, captured in Pakistan in September 2002, is alleged to have helped finance the Sept. 11 attacks in New York and Washington.

Al-Libi is a suspected leader of al-Qaeda, according to the Defense Department's report.

The group of 14 also includes Hambali, an alleged leader of the Southeast Asian group Jemaah Islamiyah, who is accused of organizing the 2002 Bali bombings that killed 202 people, 88 of them Australians, and an attack in Bali in 2005 that killed 20 people and three suicide bombers.

U.S. government officials said last month al-Qaeda's leadership is rebuilding its network in the tribal region of Pakistan bordering Afghanistan.

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601087&sid=anoJPX1ejzEs&refer=home

Zzarchov

House Member
Aug 28, 2006
Not that he didn't do it..but the allegations of torture coming out of that place (one of the reasons a self respecting nation shouldn't conduct such things) means that any confessions you hear coming out of there, genuine or not, sound fake. And thats how it will sound to all the world who hear the confession. Opportunities squandered.

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
I suppose you think the confession is valid testimony. What's more important is the timing of the news.Anyone who dosn't believe the suit and tie mob did the real estate job of the century has serious reality issues.The story book recounting of the activitys surrounding the event bear the sloppyness of the systemic decay.Convenient concentricly progressing circumstances frequently indicate planning, the enemy attack scenerio was permanently fixed in the media fourty-eight hours after the event nothing substantial has been added to that explanation since.Al-Quada is phoney.

mabudon

Metal King
Mar 15, 2006
Golden Horseshoe, Ontario
Does "reasonable doubt" apply in this kind of case??

If it does, there can be no conviction on the 9-11 deal, ALL of the actual physical evidence that may have existed was promptly destroyed by the US government, so all's that's left is hearsay and audiotapes of dubious value, neither of which can stand as any sort of sole evidence (which is likely why this is being presented as a "slam dunk" so that mouthpieces can trumpet the confession as "all the evidence WE need right there!!")

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
Toro, you should incorporate the conspiracy and the rot that surrounds it into your investment stratagees, I'm sure others do, concentrate on bullets, murder and fraud the perenial favourites.haha I can help with your portfolio reorganization to optimize your leverage and vastly improve your returns, send a lot of money in a plain brown envelope.

Darkbeaver Investments
RR1 Canada
PO box 666-666-069-911

Sparrow

Council Member
Nov 12, 2006
Quebec
Just what Bush need to improve his popularity and validate his war on terrorism and hold up the idea of al-Qaeda. What about ben Ladin, we don't hear about him. Fox said he is dead or has he been pensioned off?