Iranian MPs denounce "300"

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
ehran: 16:02 , 2007/03/13

Iranian MPs denounce Hollywood film “300” TEHRAN, March 13 (MNA) – Iranian members of parliament her on Monday deprecated the production and screening of the Hollywood film “300”.
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]In a letter to Foreign Ministry and the Ministry of Culture and Islamic Guidance, the MPs stressed the necessity for measures and negotiations to prevent the screening of the anti-Iranian movie in the world especially in Malaysia.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Directed by Zack Snyder and based on the epic graphic novel by Frank Miller, '300' is a ferocious retelling of the ancient Battle of Thermopylae in which King Leonidas and 300 Spartans fought to the death against Xerxes and his massive Persian army.[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Facing insurmountable odds, their valor and sacrifice inspire all of Greece to unite against their Persian enemy, drawing a line in the sand for democracy.[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]The film has entered North America’s theaters since last Friday, selling over $70 million and irritating Iranians throughout the world. [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]NM/KK[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]END[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]MNA [/FONT]

.......................................................................................................................

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
You think they would have more pressing issues to address then a movie.

I'll agree somewhat with your comment. The subject deserves some discussion though. You posted an interesting piece on holloywood and the liberties they take with physics, similarlar liberties are routinly taken with history and politics to build propaganda, a look at the hollywood epic blockbusters of the last ten years is revealing in the imperial way.They're not realy addressing the movie but rather the culture that produced it.What's that Arcade Fire disc you recommended a while ago? I'v forgotten it's title, don't make me have to go back through the posts or there will be trouble Durka, I have voodoo ready for youhoohaha.:wave:

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
I'll agree somewhat with your comment. The subject deserves some discussion though. You posted an interesting piece on holloywood and the liberties they take with physics, similarlar liberties are routinly taken with history and politics to build propaganda, a look at the hollywood epic blockbusters of the last ten years is revealing in the imperial way.They're not realy addressing the movie but rather the culture that produced it.What's that Arcade Fire disc you recommended a while ago? I'v forgotten it's title, don't make me have to go back through the posts or there will be trouble Durka, I have voodoo ready for youhoohaha.:wave:

Yes, I would agree that Hollywood can have a rather warped view of history. But, the movie 300 is hardly marketing it self as a historical epic. It based off a graphic novel. ie comic book. 300 is about as historically accurate as mel gibsons christ movie.
:happy11:
The Arcade Fire album is "Neon Bible".

mabudon

Metal King
Mar 15, 2006
Golden Horseshoe, Ontario
Man, I clicked on this hoping to read about how the film looks like a bunch of cutscenes from a crappy video game and the Iranians were denouncing the rampant overuse of special effects to make films with NO substance....

Instead, I read this :D

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
Man, I clicked on this hoping to read about how the film looks like a bunch of cutscenes from a crappy video game and the Iranians were denouncing the rampant overuse of special effects to make films with NO substance....

Instead, I read this :D

Have you seen it?

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
I haven't seen the movie yet, but I will. It looks very good. Plus it's a genre of movie that I enjoy. A little fantasy every now and then is great and graphic novels make for great movies.

thomaska

Council Member
May 24, 2006
Great Satan
I saw it, I thought it was a decent fast moving show. Entertainment-wise it was good, but no, not very acurate historically. My wife kept saying "They should have killed that guy(Xerxes)" I had to keep telling her that they couldn't because he didn't die there.

The Iranians of today have exactly "ZERO" in common with the followers of mysticism and Zoroaster of ancient Persia. But they need something to complain about I suppose.

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
"Iranian MPs denounce Hollywood film '300' ". Who gives a crap? :D
Seriously, they also denounce being neighborly, having liberty, being secular, etc.

Um, I haven't seen it yet, but if I was going to watch something having fidelity to real history, I wouldn't watch anything coming out of Hollywood. I will watch it for entertainment value only.

I think not

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 12, 2005
The Evil Empire
It was a fun movie, it did have some history that was accurate. Aside from that it was enterntainment, if you want history, pickup a history book. And I don't see why Iranians are bitching, history is not as kind as the movie was.

tracy

House Member
Nov 10, 2005
California
A guy friend of mine saw it yesterday and loved it of course. It seems like a guy movie. Lots of blood and guts and fighting... not my kind of thing.

Zzarchov

House Member
Aug 28, 2006
I saw it, I thought it was a decent fast moving show. Entertainment-wise it was good, but no, not very acurate historically. My wife kept saying "They should have killed that guy(Xerxes)" I had to keep telling her that they couldn't because he didn't die there.

The Iranians of today have exactly "ZERO" in common with the followers of mysticism and Zoroaster of ancient Persia. But they need something to complain about I suppose.

1.) Zoroastians are still around in Iran, and they aren't mystic, they are monotheseists. In non religious circles, they are also believed to have been the ones who converted the Jewish tribes from worshipping a pantheon of gods (of which Jehovah was merely their version of Zeus) to monotheism and introduced such concepts as a coming messiah and winged angels.

Xerxes himself was a pretty normal guy and was married to a Jewish queen.

2.) Modern Iranians are direct descendants of the Zoroastians of the Persian Empire who were were conquered by Islam. At that time the Zoroastian church was horridly corrupt (think middle ages Catholic corrupt) and its people converted fairly readily. They are litterally the descendants of the people who fought at Thermopylae.

Its a comic book. In reality it was 7,000 greeks which only happened to include 300 spartans. When the goat trail was betrayed, 700 Thespians stayed behind to buy the army time to retreat, they were accompanied by 300 spartans (the weakest factions got to stay behind).

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
I read an article on this yesterday and I think it is hilarious. It is almost a fantasy movie and the Iranians are all jumping up and down crying. Too funny. They make some of the Persians look like Orcs from the Lord of the Rings.

It is a movie and their top officials are releasing silly statements. I say make another one.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
Yes, I would agree that Hollywood can have a rather warped view of history. But, the movie 300 is hardly marketing it self as a historical epic. It based off a graphic novel. ie comic book. 300 is about as historically accurate as mel gibsons christ movie.

Or Al Gores documentary on GW. :thumbup:

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006

I'd had enough Mel GIbson by the time his Jesus thing came out and I decided to save my time. Thanks for the Arcade Fire note I have posted it on the wall in the form of a work order. Gibsons flick turned a lot of christian crank, there's nothing like a movie to whip up warriors.:smile:

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006

I'd had enough Mel GIbson by the time his Jesus thing came out and I decided to save my time. Thanks for the Arcade Fire note I have posted it on the wall in the form of a work order. Gibsons flick turned a lot of christian crank, there's nothing like a movie to whip up warriors, Gore has used the powerfull cineimatic message to position himself as the green president in the coming shakeup in the head office. :alien:

Last edited: