Can't talk about Peace in Public

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia

Why Can't We Talk about Peace in Public?

By Matt Taibbi, RollingStone.com
Posted on February 28, 2007, Printed on March 2, 2007
http://www.alternet.org/story/48601/

"The fellas from 121 started showing up the other day. It's starting to sink in... I'll have to go home, the opportunities to kill these ****ers is rapidly coming to an end. Like a hobby I'll never get to practice again. It's not a great war, but it's the only one we've got. God, I do love killing these bastards. ... Morale is high, the Marines can smell the barn. It's hard to keep them focused. I still have 20 days of kill these mother****ers, so I don't wanna take even one day off. " -- letter home from an unnamed Marine F/A -18 pilot in Iraq.​
The above letter arrived in my inbox via an email circular sent by an acquaintance of mine, a defense analyst and former congressional aide named Winslow Wheeler. It came alongside a pained commentary by another former Pentagon analyst named Franklin (Chuck) Spinney, who is probably best known for the famous "Spinney report" of the mid-'80s which exposed the waste and inefficiency of many hi-tech Defense Department projects.
Spinney's career followed the classic whistleblower arc; after sending his courageous Jerry Maguire letter on Pentagon waste up the bureaucratic flagpole, he was nearly buried by his own bosses only to be saved from ignominy at the last minute by the intercession of Senator Chuck Grassley, who invited him to air his findings in Congress.
Spinney ended up on the cover of Time magazine a week later and soon thereafter began a new career as a much sought-after expert on the inner workings of the military-industrial complex. Like another famous post-Watergate whistleblower, Karen Silkwood, Spinney ended up inspiring a Hollywood feature film -- although in this case no Oscars were forthcoming, as the key role in the lighthearted comedy The Pentagon Wars was played by Cary Elwes instead of Meryl Streep. Brutally, Kelsey Grammer also made an appearance as the film's heavy.
Now retired and living in the Mediterranean, Spinney briefly returned to the States and somehow got hold of the above letter by a Marine pilot involved in close air support missions in Iraq. Spinney's commentary about the pilot ran as follows:
Here is a "warrior" who brags about killing for killing's sake, but the people he kills are just spots on the ground that disappear in clouds of explosions. He describes the joy of war at a distance and sees nothing of its horrors. You won't find any descriptions of blood, broken limbs, trauma or destruction in this email. You won't even find reference to his own feelings of menace or fear -- not to mention their noble counterweights courage and esprit -- just braggadocio on the subject of killing. Of course, his targets are all insurgents: no sense of any human capacity for doubt on that point. ... Hopefully, the man who wrote this ghastly thing is an aberration and not at all representative of the men and women in our military.​
I searched the internet to see if anyone had anything to say about Spinney's commentary. There were only a few sites that mentioned it, but in this one he is predictably blasted by soldiers who viewed his comments as a betrayal.
"I'm surprised at Spinney's outburst," writes one. "I would have thought that as an AF guy, he'd at least understand the emotion of a fighter pilot doing a CAS mission. I've enjoyed Spinney's views on Pentagon finances -- maybe he should stick with his area of expertise."
"Spinney is pathetic!!!" writes another. "I'm a grunt, we get paid to kill and we do a damn good job. America has kept Marines around for that fact, and not because we look incredibly good in our dress blues."
I'm always wary of these stories about American soldiers acting like hateful, mindlessly violent psychopaths in Iraq, though they're not exactly rare -- from Abu Ghraib of course, to a chilling video of a pilot pointlessly wasting a huge crowd of what appear to be civilians in Fallulah ("Oh, dude!" the pilot chuckles, after the explosion appears to kill dozens), to a gang of squids in the Gulf who lined up on an aircraft carrier deck in a formation that cleverly read "**** Iraq," to soldiers running over a cab driver's car with a tank because he was suspected of looting a few pieces of wood to stories about the use of napalm in Tallulah, and so on.
It's n

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
A Preemptive Strike could stop this disease. What a sick phucking dirthole of a nation, a disgraceful gutless, filthy useless country full of cowards.Genocide is sport and bussiness to them.Who's going to miss them?

Libra Girl

Electoral Member
Feb 27, 2006
A Preemptive Strike could stop this disease. What a sick phucking dirthole of a nation, a disgraceful gutless, filthy useless country full of cowards.Genocide is sport and bussiness to them.Who's going to miss them?

Gee, db, don't verbally gift wrap it! Tell it like it is! lol

Seriously though, human nature, at times, just beggars belief!

Sean D

Nominee Member
Nov 9, 2006
Put down a whole nation because of one pilot's email... not to harsh are you?

westmanguy

Council Member
Feb 3, 2007
There is so many wrongs in this world we cannot have peace.

If my nation is wronged, we don't stand and take the hits until we become nothing.

If my nation sees a something wrong happening in another nation, we don't watch its people get treated with cruel intent.

The world will never be perfect, and until it is, we will never see a peaceful world.

But looking back in Roman history there was a period of 200 years of peace, but with Middle East and other issues, thats not going to happen anytime soon.

Peace, is a feel good dream, can never be achieved, people who think peace can be achieved lack reality.

I realize I can have peace in my home, in my life, but I can't achieve peace in this world, noone can.

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
There is so many wrongs in this world we cannot have peace.

If my nation is wronged, we don't stand and take the hits until we become nothing.

If my nation sees a something wrong happening in another nation, we don't watch its people get treated with cruel intent.

The world will never be perfect, and until it is, we will never see a peaceful world.

But looking back in Roman history there was a period of 200 years of peace, but with Middle East and other issues, thats not going to happen anytime soon.

Peace, is a feel good dream, can never be achieved, people who think peace can be achieved lack reality.

I realize I can have peace in my home, in my life, but I can't achieve peace in this world, noone can.
Where do you live West?:wave:

selfactivated

Time Out
Apr 11, 2006
Richmond, Virginia
Ive one question.......could you do it? Not that Im taking this article for batem, because I have no proof. And not that I dont KNOW for a fact we have some twisted individuals in the military, look at our commander n chief. But someones got to do the job.......could you? I couldnt. So I dont critisise men twisted by their jobs. If they break the law........jail em but if its just trash talk? Ive seen worse on this site. By experts

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
I don't think we can paint the whole of anything with a paintbrush, kinda my mantra. I'm planning on going into service when I finish my degree and I certainly don't harbour any feelings of malice nor do I wish to kill people. It may come to that, but that's not my reason. I'd really like to fly search and rescue helicopters, but apparently it's the perverbial cream of the crop for helicopter pilots, so I might not get it right away or at all. I do want to fly though, that much I know. Been a dream of mine since I was a young tot.

fuzzylogix

Council Member
Apr 7, 2006
Put down a whole nation because of one pilot's email... not to harsh are you?

You are SSSSSSOOOOOOOO correct, Sean!!!

Putting down a whole nation because of one pilot's email would be sort of like....Well.....
I dunno...... invading and destroying two whole nations because of one person called Osama.... and then even forgetting that it was Osama who you were supposed to be finding in the first place.....

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
Minnesota: Gopher State
```Why Can't We Talk about Peace in Public?```

We do now - for the longest time people were afraid of upsettting the Bushies and their ilk but they are in the minority. Today, most Yanks openly criticize the warmongers who are in the defensive about their futile wars. It took a while but we who want peace are in the majority and, thankfully, are no longer afraid of calling for peace.