darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia

New Study Shows Medical Value of Marijuana

By Rob Kampia, AlterNet
Posted on February 22, 2007, Printed on February 22, 2007
http://www.alternet.org/story/48322/

Ever since California and other states began passing medical marijuana laws in 1996, the federal government has claimed that -- as a 2003 White House press release put it -- "research has not demonstrated that smoked marijuana is safe and effective medicine." A new study, just published in the journal Neurology, definitively refutes that claim and underlines the urgent need for the federal government to change its prohibitionist policies.
The study, conducted by Dr. Donald Abrams of the University of California at San Francisco, found marijuana to be safe and effective at treating peripheral neuropathy, which causes great suffering to HIV/AIDS patients. This type of extreme pain, which is caused by damage to the nerves, can make patients feel like their feet and hands are on fire, or being stabbed with a knife. Similar pain is seen in a number of other illnesses, including multiple sclerosis and diabetes, and cannot be treated effectively with conventional pain medications. Standard pain medicines -- even addictive, dangerous narcotics -- have little effect on this type of pain.
Marijuana doesn't cure neuropathy, but in the UCSF study marijuana was clearly shown to give relief. In this randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial (the design that's considered the "gold standard" of medical research), a majority of patients had a greater than 30 percent reduction in pain after smoking marijuana. For many, that level of relief means having a bearable quality of life.
This result is all the more remarkable because researchers like Abrams are only allowed to test government-supplied marijuana, which is of notoriously poor quality. There's every reason to believe the results would be even better if scientists were permitted to study a better-quality product.
Abrams' study is only the latest in a growing mountain of research showing that medical marijuana can provide real -- and potentially even life-saving -- benefits. In a study published last year of patients being treated for the hepatitis C virus (HCV), those who used marijuana to curb the nausea and other noxious side effects of anti-HCV drugs were significantly more likely to complete their treatment. As a result, the marijuana-using patients were three times more likely to clear the deadly virus from their bodies -- in other words, to be cured -- than those not using marijuana.
Clearly, the White House and its drug czar, John Walters, should abandon their rigid, unscientific rejection of medical marijuana and start reshaping federal policy to match medical reality.
Unfortunately, this is unlikely; what's more likely is that the Bush administration will ignore the scientific data during its last two years in power, just as it has for the past six years.
That puts the ball in Congress's court. There are a number of actions Congress can take to put federal medical marijuana policy on a path toward sanity.
The first, and simplest, is to prohibit the Drug Enforcement Administration from spending money to raid and arrest medical marijuana patients and caregivers in the 11 states where the medical use of marijuana is legal under state law. This taxpayer-friendly act would remove the cloud of fear that now hangs over tens of thousands of desperately ill Americans and those who care for them.
But that should be just the beginning. Everything about federal medical marijuana policy should be reconsidered. That includes the arbitrary rules that needlessly hamper research, as well as the absurd law that classifies cocaine and methamphetamine as having more medical value than marijuana, which is grouped with heroin and LSD as having "no currently accepted medical use."
The guiding principle must be to handle medical marijuana as science, common sense, and simple human decency dictate. Recent research leaves no doubt that our government's war on the sick and dying must end immediately.
Rob Kampia is executive director of the Marijuana Policy Project in Washington, DC.
© 2007 Independent Media Institute. All rights reserved.
View this story online at: http://www.alternet.org/story/48322/

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
I have read that the list of illnesses that can be helped by a toke or two is growing. There are some who would add the common cold and Hives to that list...scratch,...cough,...cough.....:)

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
I have read that the list of illnesses that can be helped by a toke or two is growing. There are some who would add the common cold and Hives to that list...scratch,...cough,...cough.....:)

Apparently cannibis has preventative qualitys as well, an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.:wave:

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Apparently cannibis has preventative qualitys as well, an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.:wave:

Problem is, that an ounce of "prevention" is worth about a $150 on today's market. So I've heard...:?

marygaspe

Electoral Member
Jan 19, 2007
Problem is, that an ounce of "prevention" is worth about a $150 on today's market. So I've heard...:?

I'm dense about dope, but what about if the doctor prescribes it to you? Who supplies it in that case?

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
I'm dense about dope, but what about if the doctor prescribes it to you? Who supplies it in that case?

I'm not sure what the government program will provide if anything, a couple of years ago what they made available was of varied quality from compost to dust all of it laced with fertilizer, independent tests condemned it as dangerous to smoke. If you require medical cannibis you're best off to find a reputable private dealer.:wave:

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
I've got a nice package of cure in my cupboard... I guess I'll just go and test it:color:

My staff at Darkbeaver Labs would be happy to conduct tests on your behalf and provide you with a detailed anylisis free of charge. It's just one of the public services we provide as an outreach programe of consumer information. Please help us in this important work.:wave:

Send Cannibis to DarkBeaver Smoke Control Unit
420 Dam Avenue
Rodentia RR1 Canada Support Our Beavers

RomSpaceKnight

Council Member
Oct 30, 2006
London, Ont. Canada
Been off the weed chronically for a month now. Did smoke a couple during a dinner party and slide show at my place on the weekend but have given up smoking daily. Will reserve it for dinner parties and fishing trips.

If all is ok in your life or you are using it for medicinal purposes (physical syptoms relief) it's ok. But if you have any major issues such as too much stress, health issues that dope will not target or mental issues such as depression, it's best to stay off it.

Everything in moderation.

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006

Jaun, if that cannibis were of good quality that $150.00 would treat my arthritis for two months easily and that's with no toxicity associated with the legal junk. Even at the street prices you quote for me it's a 100% better deal. The last legal stuff I tried wasn't in my stomach for an hour when it started bubbling and gurgling and the nausea and dizzyness was unbearable, that was two weeks ago, I quit after three days.:wave:

Vereya

Council Member
Apr 20, 2006
Tula
My staff at Darkbeaver Labs would be happy to conduct tests on your behalf and provide you with a detailed anylisis free of charge. It's just one of the public services we provide as an outreach programe of consumer information. Please help us in this important work.:wave:
Send Cannibis to DarkBeaver Smoke Control Unit
420 Dam Avenue
Rodentia RR1 Canada Support Our Beavers

Darkbeaver, it is very obliging of you, indeed, to offer your help in such serious and time-consuming research. I sure appreciate it! Two such devoted researches as us sure can make a major scientific break-through!

Vereya

Council Member
Apr 20, 2006
Tula
i'm not really sure. Most governments have supplies of it for such purposes, but where they get i dont know. I think they burn what they confiscate.

A joke (I just can't be serious this morning, sorrrry:
A couple of guys were sitting in a forest around a fire, smoking weed. Suddenly, a police officer appears, takes their weed away from them, throws it into the burning fire, and starts to lecture the guys, saying:
- what are you wasting your life for, smoking this stuff? Go out, get a job, find good girlfriends, start a decent lives. Just think about it, who smokes weed? it is only drug-addicts who do it, (sniff) writers... (sniff-sniff) musicians... poets...

mapleleafgirl

Electoral Member
Dec 13, 2006
windsor,ontario
I'm not sure what the government program will provide if anything, a couple of years ago what they made available was of varied quality from compost to dust all of it laced with fertilizer, independent tests condemned it as dangerous to smoke. If you require medical cannibis you're best off to find a reputable private dealer.:wave:

youd think that theyd get with the programme, eh! i mean, theyve been busting people for like a million years so youd think the government would at least know good from bad weed.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
I suffer with the lovely collection of problems the docs label 'fibromyalgia', and as a result of it I have developed osteo arthritis in my hips and lower four vertebra. I tried almost everything the docs were willing to give me for pain, and just ended up on more meds to fix the problems the meds caused ( antinflammatories gave me ulcers for example). At one point, my husband would have to set out a bowl full of varied snacks for my kids (toddlers at the time) to munch on while he was at work, because I was too tired and in too much pain to get out of bed half of the time.

my docs hit the point that they were willing to license me for marijuana possession, but, the legal hassle in getting licensed just wasn't worth it. Some friends who grow gave me a bit, and what it did for my pain was astonishing. I reserached it a bit, and found out that marijuana by nature is 'sticky'. Wonderfully enough, where it sticks, is your pain centers. it essentially gets in there and clogs up the synapses, preventing the chronic nerve firing that is associated with fibro (and other nerve issues as the article describes). Lovely stuff. proof of a divine design to the universe if I've ever seen it. lol. It's just too bad that I'm a hyper paranoid person to begin with, and I couldn't stand how much worse it made it. lol.

Curiosity

Senate Member
Jul 30, 2005
California
Karrie

I am grateful to have read your post on medical marijuana for pain.... my nephew was blown up in Iraq 1 1/2 years ago and is still in screaming pain although much of his body has healed physically, his spine is pretty much ruined and is collapsing regularly - an inoperable condition because around the
neck area the medics are hesitant to do anything more invasive than he has already been through.

They are now discussing medical marijuana for him because the painkillers aren't helping - only make him drowsy and unproductive and he has lost his normal energy and joy .... he has come back to us so bravely and has fought all the way to recover but some days he is practically immobilized from pain... and it makes him so angry and depressed.

At first I was unsure but I have to hope they will come up with something... and he won't take it unless he can do it legally....

If any of his pain can be alleviated, I hope they at least try it out.... it would be wonderful to see him laugh and relax again.....I miss him.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Karrie

I am grateful to have read your post on medical marijuana for pain.... my nephew was blown up in Iraq 1 1/2 years ago and is still in screaming pain although much of his body has healed physically, his spine is pretty much ruined and is collapsing regularly - an inoperable condition because around the
neck area the medics are hesitant to do anything more invasive than he has already been through.

They are now discussing medical marijuana for him because the painkillers aren't helping - only make him drowsy and unproductive and he has lost his normal energy and joy .... he has come back to us so bravely and has fought all the way to recover but some days he is practically immobilized from pain... and it makes him so angry and depressed.

At first I was unsure but I have to hope they will come up with something... and he won't take it unless he can do it legally....

If any of his pain can be alleviated, I hope they at least try it out.... it would be wonderful to see him laugh and relax again.....I miss him.

I am so sorry you and your family are having to go through this Curiosity. I truly hope they find some way to get him relief. One of the other ways I found relief was through deep tissue accupuncture. By placing needles deep into the tissue, it releases targeted endorphins. unfortunately, it wasn't long before I started reacting to the needles, but most people wouldn't have that problem.