Thanks for nothin, Canada

Status
Not open for further replies.

mabudon

Metal King
Mar 15, 2006
Golden Horseshoe, Ontario
http://www.thestar.com/News/article/182137

So THAT is the thanks we get for our "sacrifice"???

Sure, sure, apologists will defend it as a "slip of the tongue" and nothin of substance- but since "slips of the tongue" are jumped on a LOT by folks of every stripe, simply passing it off as such is weak at best...

If we aren't noticed and thanked by our "best friends", I say it's time to leave that mess to the folks who seem to want to own the situation so badly...

So where's the upside to this garbage???

Hopefully some Harper supporter can come here and show us what's right with this picture- I imagine since we're already the 51st state, mentioning us by our former name of "Canada" would be redundant- or that Harper has his head so far up the US' arse that he wouldn't hear it either way

hermanntrude

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Jun 23, 2006
Newfoundland!
http://www.thestar.com/News/article/182137

So THAT is the thanks we get for our "sacrifice"???

Sure, sure, apologists will defend it as a "slip of the tongue" and nothin of substance- but since "slips of the tongue" are jumped on a LOT by folks of every stripe, simply passing it off as such is weak at best...

If we aren't noticed and thanked by our "best friends", I say it's time to leave that mess to the folks who seem to want to own the situation so badly...

So where's the upside to this garbage???

Hopefully some Harper supporter can come here and show us what's right with this picture- I imagine since we're already the 51st state, mentioning us by our former name of "Canada" would be redundant- or that Harper has his head so far up the US' arse that he wouldn't hear it either way

he probably had it on the autocue but didnt know how to pronounce it

Andem

dev
Mar 24, 2002
Larnaka
Bush has never liked Canada and even referred to Mexico as their most important neighbour after Canada took care of all diverted flights on 11.09.01. This is old news and Canadians are certainly not the type of people that would even accept or want praises from Bush.

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
he's an ungrateful prick... no different then when he omited Canada from helping the US immediately after 911.

I doubt GWB can commit more then a couple countries to memory at any given time.

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
We are regularly fogotten by the Yankee, It'll be a surprize to most of them when we invade and loot thier land and disappear back into the frozen expanse of the great white emptyness.:wave:

mabudon

Metal King
Mar 15, 2006
Andem-

I just figure, if I HAVE to "support the troops" and all that crap, I'd like to think they were accomplishing something that could be noticed by someone, anyone- again, I'd take this as the "Exit strategy" we need so badly, who cares if it's just a miscue

RUEZ

Nominee Member
Feb 12, 2007
PG
Really are we only in Afghanistan in order to get praise from Bush? I thought we were there to route out the Taliban and Al quaeda, and to help rebuild the country. We might think about putting that into any treaty we sign in the future. We could call it the significant acknowlegement clause.

mabudon

Metal King
Mar 15, 2006
RUEZ- seriously, I believe that a little bit of praise is the ONLY thing we can hope for, all of the purported reasons are pure knee-jerk hokum.

Hopefullly we'll all be here once the failure is complete, THEN I promise not to be TOO cocky about having been right for so long- hell, it doesn't hardly take ANY thought to de-bunk most of the stuff we hear- I was merely sayin that the ONLY thing we as a country could hope for outta this, we're not even getting THAT and all's it would have taken is 3 syllables to accomplish- as for "rebuilding the country" and "making it so that women can go to school", mark this, that stuff will NEVER HAPPEN and it's only going to take a few more years of wasted everything to prove it

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
Bush has never liked Canada and even referred to Mexico as their most important neighbour after Canada took care of all diverted flights on 11.09.01. This is old news and Canadians are certainly not the type of people that would even accept or want praises from Bush.
Right on, Andem. I think if I were Harper, as soon as the Yanks got there, I'd pack our troops up and bring em home. :D

Cobalt_Kid

Council Member
Feb 3, 2007
The Republicans have a long history of taking Canada for granted.

This kind of reminds me of back in the 80s when Regan refered to Mulroney as PM Muldoon after Brian spent a lot of time and effort sucking up to the White House. Sort of like Steven and Peter are doing now and with the same result.

blugoo

Nominee Member
Aug 15, 2006
I think people tend to blame Bush for more things than are his fault, but this one is definitely on him.

To mention other countries effort's by name in Afghanistan, and not Canada, is either a deliberate snub, or a gross oversight.

Canadian troops have performed heroically, and deserve to be mentioned near the very front of the list of the countries who have helped in Afghanistan.

RUEZ

Nominee Member
Feb 12, 2007
PG

This kind of reminds me of back in the 80s when Regan refered to Mulroney as PM Muldoon after Brian spent a lot of time and effort sucking up to the White House. Sort of like Steven and Peter are doing now and with the same result.
Could you give me an example of this sucking up?

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net

Yeah, good ol' Lyin Brian. Whatta putz. I dunno why Canucks even ponder what the hell Junior thinks of us. The guy's a dud.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
Really are we only in Afghanistan in order to get praise from Bush? I thought we were there to route out the Taliban and Al quaeda, and to help rebuild the country. We might think about putting that into any treaty we sign in the future. We could call it the significant acknowlegement clause.

DEAD ON!

Geezus, one minute the lefties are crying because we are too close to Bush, the next they whine because Daddy Bush has not patted them on the head.

Spare me.

Cobalt_Kid

Council Member
Feb 3, 2007
Could you give me an example of this sucking up?

Now or then?

Back then Mulroney seemed more concerned with helping the U.S. economy than Canadas'. Free trade was a joke especially if you're in the softwood lumber trade.

Now it's the same crap. In the last softwood lumber deal with the American Harper rammed it through weeks before we won the case that would have seen all tariffs lifted and all money returned. In the deal the White House got 500 million in discretionary funds and the U.S. lumber lobby got another 500 million to fight us in the next round whenever that comes up. A major sell-out of people who had been fighting for fair trade for years.

On a personal level I think it's a disgrace that our Foreign Affairs minister is seemingly having one with the Secretary of State of the U.S. It's unproffessional at the least and compromises our foreign policy, which is pretty much run from south of the border now anyway.

I think not

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 12, 2005
The Evil Empire
Free trade was a joke especially if you're in the softwood lumber trade.

What's even funnier is that softwood lumber has always been excluded under the free trade agreements, and yet many keep bringing it up as if it were. Oh ya, Canada took exception to Canadian Cultural issues under the free trade agreements.

Next.

Status
Not open for further replies.