Global warming reports 'scientifically unsound'

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
On climate change fiction trumps truth

Global warming reports 'scientifically unsound', so why don't the media care?

By LICIA CORBELLA

It's too bad the world's media don't hold the United Nations' Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) to the same standards they hold large corporations.
When Enron cooked the books there were -- rightly -- no end of indignant columns and talk shows condemning these high-paid fraudsters who massaged the numbers to fit their agenda and bolster their bank accounts.
The whistleblower who tried to get Enron to change its evil ways, Sherron Watkins, was named one of Time magazine's People of the Year.
But when it comes to scientists who whistleblow about IPCC reports cooked by politicians to fit their politicized agendas, those whistleblowers are either ignored or dismissed as "skeptics" or quacks and are labelled as haters of this planet and nature, even though most of them have dedicated their lives to studying nature and protecting it.
Dr. Christopher Landsea, a leading expert in the field of hurricanes and tropical storms resigned as an author of the IPCC 2007 report, stating the IPCC was "motivated by pre-conceived agendas" and was "scientifically unsound."

"I am withdrawing because I have come to view the part of the IPCC to which my expertise is relevant as having become politicized. In addition, when I have raised my concerns to the IPCC leadership, their response was simply to dismiss my concerns," wrote Landsea, of the National Oceanographic and Atmospheric Administration's Atlantic Oceanographic and Meteorological Laboratory.
Sounds a lot like what happened at Enron, doesn't it?
Landsea said a lead author for the IPCC report asked him to provide the writeup on Atlantic hurricanes in what he thought would be "a politically-neutral determination of what is happening with our climate."
Landsea, a contributor and reviewer for the IPCC report in 1995 and 2001, says this author, having been told research showed "no global warming signal found in the hurricane record," attended a Harvard lecture stating the polar opposite.
"I found it a bit perplexing that the participants in the Harvard press conference had come to the conclusion that global warming was impacting hurricane activity today. To my knowledge, none of the participants in that press conference had performed any research on hurricane variability... All previous and current research in the area of hurricane variability has shown no reliable, long-term trend up in the frequency or intensity of tropical cyclones, either in the Atlantic or any other basin."
But, science be damned. The pro-man-made global warming crowd wanted to sex-up the threat of a warming planet so they just made it up. Pulled it out of a hat.
Exaggerating to get your way is a tactic former U.S. v-p Al Gore, the star behind the documentary An Inconvenient Truth, admitted is acceptable.
"Nobody is interested in solutions if they don't think there's a problem. Given that starting point, I believe it is appropriate to have an over-representation of factual presentations on how dangerous (global warming) is, as a predicate for opening up the audience to listen to what the solutions are, and how hopeful it is that we are going to solve this crisis," said Gore in a May 2006 interview with Grist Magazine.
Gore's admission that he makes like Pinocchio to make a point on global warming should be an inconvenient truth, to be sure, but the mainstream media -- which positively love the doom and gloom scenario of man-made global warming -- have been virtually silent on this.
Also ignored has been Dr. Frederick Seitz, past-president of the National Academy of Sciences, who wrote in June 1996, with regard to the 1995 IPCC report: "I have never witnessed a more disturbing corruption of the peer-review process than the events that led to this IPCC report.
"This report is not what it appears to be -- it is not the version approved by the contributing scientists listed on the title page," Seitz wrote.
So what was removed from the original 1995 IPCC report that was approved by ALL of the contributing scientists?
The following passage is just one example of what was deleted from the original scientists' report:
"None of the studies cited above has shown clear evidence that we can attribute the observed (climate) changes to the specific cause of increases in greenhouse gases."
Dr. Seitz continued: "IPCC reports are often called the 'consensus' view.
"Whatever the intent was of those who made these significant changes, their effect is to deceive policy makers and the public into believing that the scientific evidence shows human activities are causing global warming."
But the evidence doesn't say that and neither did the scientists.
That's what the actual consensus said. That was changed. That's fraud. Billions of dollars are being shuffled around the world to support the lie. Much money is at stake -- much more than Enron multiplied. So, why don't the media care?
http://www.torontosun.com/Comment/2007/02/11/3587144-sun.html

Sparrow

Council Member
Nov 12, 2006
Quebec
As usual they create a problem = provide the solution = sit back until people demand the solution and make the money. It is too bad that some poeple are so gullable. I cannot fathom people complete believing what the hear in the news and read in the papers. No one seems to think for themselves.

Sorry you are on the receiving end but this is my rant for today.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Since the effects of global warming are out there and visible for people to see, saying it is fake is a bit silly. A lot of people don't want to believe in global warming because in truth, they are afraid of it. The idea that our children, and their children, and indeed, the human race, could be in real danger from our own mistakes is not what the ostriches want to hear.

The scientists from a 130 countries all agreed that the Earth was warming on a global scale. These same scientists also said it was very likely that human endeaver was causing it. Given that the global temperatures have been rising in lock step with the increase of CO2 in the atmosphere since the Industrial revolution, it looks like "yup, we're doin it alright....maybe we should stop".. This is so Goddamned simple, it is ridiculous

But let's not let those scientists tell us what to do...what the hell do they know?.

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
Correct me if I'm wrong, but this current IPCC release is only the recommnedations to policy makers is it not? Theres been talk that when the scientific literature is released it will show how past reports have under-estimated on many predictions, scientists leak stuff too, only we can't read the reports yet.

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
Correct me if I'm wrong, but this current IPCC release is only the recommnedations to policy makers is it not? Theres been talk that when the scientific literature is released it will show how past reports have under-estimated on many predictions, scientists leak stuff too, only we can't read the reports yet.
That's correct. It's a prereport recommendation list. But I wouldn't trust anything scientific after it's been in political (or mainstream press) hands. If they publish the report in its entirety without said mitts having had a chance to fk with it, I'll accept the science and continue analysing more science as I see it. From my viewpoint at the moment, GW has not been caused by us but merely added to, GW was happening anyway, we had our own smog disguising GW's effects from us, CO² may not be GHG, but we do emit many GHGs, and panicking about anything is stupid.

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
That's correct. It's a prereport recommendation list. But I wouldn't trust anything scientific after it's been in political (or mainstream press) hands. If they publish the report in its entirety without said mitts having had a chance to fk with it, I'll accept the science and continue analysing more science as I see it. From my viewpoint at the moment, GW has not been caused by us but merely added to, GW was happening anyway, we had our own smog disguising GW's effects from us, CO² may not be GHG, but we do emit many GHGs, and panicking about anything is stupid.
:thumbup:

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Since the effects of global warming are out there and visible for people to see, saying it is fake is a bit silly. A lot of people don't want to believe in global warming because in truth, they are afraid of it. The idea that our children, and their children, and indeed, the human race, could be in real danger from our own mistakes is not what the ostriches want to hear.

The scientists from a 130 countries all agreed that the Earth was warming on a global scale. These same scientists also said it was very likely that human endeaver was causing it. Given that the global temperatures have been rising in lock step with the increase of CO2 in the atmosphere since the Industrial revolution, it looks like "yup, we're doin it alright....maybe we should stop".. This is so Goddamned simple, it is ridiculous

But let's not let those scientists tell us what to do...what the hell do they know?.
Ummm, did you even read the article? Or is it that it does mesh nicely with your political leanings, so therefore it must be trash?
Brilliantly put!!!
:thumbup:
I'll second third and fourth that!!!

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Here we Ostriches are reading reports from key people involved that have blown the whistle on the politics involved in this sham call Kyoto.

So how is it we're the Ostriches???

I hope I never get the chance to say "I told you so", while staring red faced at you from the soup kitchen line!!!

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net

The scientists from a 130 countries all agreed that the Earth was warming on a global scale. These same scientists also said it was very likely that human endeaver was causing it.
BS. They agree that we've had a hand in it, not that we caused it.
Given that the global temperatures have been rising in lock step with the increase of CO2 in the atmosphere since the Industrial revolution,
Why the cooling period from 1940 to around the mid '70s then?
it looks like "yup, we're doin it alright....maybe we should stop".. This is so Goddamned simple, it is ridiculous
Scientists find climate a quite difficult subject to deal with yet you think it "Goddamned simple". Hmmmmmmmm
I agree we should quit screwing up our crib, though. But causing hype for or against GW is not good.

Geeeeeeez. Juan. The issue is not that GW is real or not, but that the press are out-to-lunch. As I said, I don't care what science says, after the press and politicians have had their mitts on the scientific findings, the findings are suspect.

Cobalt_Kid

Council Member
Feb 3, 2007
Why is it hard to accept the facts of climate change and global warming. The scientific facts are that CO2 acts as an insulator in the atmosphere by trapping solar radiation. Periods of high CO2 are associated with higher global temps.

To say that people do not have an effect on the environment is ridiculous. It's not like there's just a few people driving cars or using power supplied by fossil-fuel fired plants. There's hundreds of millions of vehicles that produce CO2 and thousands of fossil fuel plants as well as aircraft that put large amounts of CO2 out with each flight. At the same time deforestation is reducing the ability of the biosphere to remove CO2. The amounts of emissions is huge and does have a global effect.

How do you ignore the receding glaciers, droughts, massive hurricanes(eg. Katrina) and other extreme weather effects. Where I live now there's very little live pines left because we haven't had a truly cold winter since 1986. Not one cold enough to make a dent in the pine beetle population anyway. Take a flight over the Chilcotin or around Prince George and all you can see for miles is the red of dead trees.

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
Why is it hard to accept the facts of climate change and global warming. The scientific facts are that CO2 acts as an insulator in the atmosphere by trapping solar radiation. Periods of high CO2 are associated with higher global temps.
That's the hypothesis. There has been doubt cast on CO² as a GHG, however. Um, as Arvo said. "Given that the global temperatures have been rising in lock step with the increase of CO2 in the atmosphere since the Industrial revolution", I asked if the temps have been rising steadily since the industrial revolutiion, explain the cooling period between 1940 and the mid 70s.

To say that people do not have an effect on the environment is ridiculous. It's not like there's just a few people driving cars or using power supplied by fossil-fuel fired plants. There's hundreds of millions of vehicles that produce CO2 and thousands of fossil fuel plants as well as aircraft that put large amounts of CO2 out with each flight. At the same time deforestation is reducing the ability of the biosphere to remove CO2. The amounts of emissions is huge and does have a global effect.
Of course it does. But I have yet to find up-to-date accurate science that says we caused GW.
How do you ignore the receding glaciers, droughts, massive hurricanes(eg. Katrina) and other extreme weather effects. Where I live now there's very little live pines left because we haven't had a truly cold winter since 1986. Not one cold enough to make a dent in the pine beetle population anyway. Take a flight over the Chilcotin or around Prince George and all you can see for miles is the red of dead trees.
If you had read my posts in all the GW threads you may have noticed I am not ignoring anything except the hype brought on by panicmongers, politicians, and mainstream press. I prefer the scientific facts to hype. I know GW is happening and I know we've had a hand in it. I haven't said otherwise.

Cobalt_Kid

Council Member
Feb 3, 2007
What debate is there over the effect of greenhouse gases?

Just look a few million miles inward in our own solar system to see they work. Venus is considered to be a twin of our planet for size and similar orbit. It has a reducing atmosphere with large amounts of CO2. It also has a surface temperature of around 900F. The CO2 in our atmosphere plays an important part in keeping the planet warm enough for life but increase that CO2 and you're increasing the ability of the atmosphere to hold warmth. More energy in the system means more powerful and extreme weather effects.

What's happening now is unprecedented in our history and does have a human component. Trying to deny that is foolish IMO. Like I said I just have to walk out my door and look at the forests around me for a reminder of how the environment has changed in the last 20 years alone.

I'm much more inclined to believe people who are concerned with the preservation of the emvironment over those who are worried about financial loses. People would do well to remember that the economy is totally dependent on the environment and any short term gains we make by ignoring climate change will be erased by damage done by runaway weather.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Like I said, I agree, but Kyoto barely touches on deforestation, increased solar activity, what's that?

The science in Kyoto is junk. Period.

Is man partly responsible for GW? Hell yes. Are we the sole cause? Hell no.

This piece of international legislative toilet paper is nothing more then global welfare.

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
What debate is there over the effect of greenhouse gases?
I am not going to keep searching for the same bloody links every time someone comes along and asks. I posted them somewhere in a GW thread or maybe even 2 threads.

Just look a few million miles inward in our own solar system to see they work. Venus is considered to be a twin of our planet for size and similar orbit. It has a reducing atmosphere with large amounts of CO2. It also has a surface temperature of around 900F. The CO2 in our atmosphere plays an important part in keeping the planet warm enough for life but increase that CO2 and you're increasing the ability of the atmosphere to hold warmth. More energy in the system means more powerful and extreme weather effects. [/quote[ I know how the process works. I have known for many, many years.

What's happening now is unprecedented in our history and does have a human component. Trying to deny that is foolish IMO.
I agree with you for the third time. I have denied that in the past but I was still reading up on the topic. Now I am fairly well read on it.
Geeeeeeeez I wish people would understand that I don't deny science, but I do deny the hype and political crap. Even scientists when faced with varying conflicting informations don't leap to one conclusion and stay there no matter what. I've changed my mind about 3 or 4 times on GW and it's causes.

I'm much more inclined to believe people who are concerned with the preservation of the emvironment over those who are worried about financial loses. People would do well to remember that the economy is totally dependent on the environment and any short term gains we make by ignoring climate change will be erased by damage done by runaway weather.
I am much more inclined to believe the majority of evidence from scientists over any people concerned with the environment or economies.

Cobalt_Kid

Council Member
Feb 3, 2007
The majority of scientists(90%) out there agree that climate change is occuring and that there is a strong man-made factor to it.

Does that mean that we know for certain that man is responsible for this change...no, but the science is getting stronger and stronger every year. That's how science works.

I've also read articles to the effect that the oil and gas industry is waging a misinformation campaign against climate change the same way "Big Tobacco" did against information on the harmful effects of cigarettes. Makes sense, they have even more profit at stake than the big tobacco companies ever did. Like I said, I believe people who are motivated by something more than blind greed.

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
The majority of scientists(90%) out there agree that climate change is occuring and that there is a strong man-made factor to it.
Yeah, so? Um, have you evidence of that "90%" ratio?

Does that mean that we know for certain that man is responsible for this change...no, but the science is getting stronger and stronger every year. That's how science works.
Here is actually how science works: it uses something called "scientific method"; http://teacher.pas.rochester.edu/phy_labs/AppendixE/AppendixE.html
Um, http://wilstar.com/theories.htmhttp://teacher.pas.rochester.edu/phy_labs/AppendixE/AppendixE.html

I've also read articles to the effect that the oil and gas industry is waging a misinformation campaign against climate change the same way "Big Tobacco" did against information on the harmful effects of cigarettes. Makes sense, they have even more profit at stake than the big tobacco companies ever did. Like I said, I believe people who are motivated by something more than blind greed.
They're pretty much bound to screw with information. That would be obvious.
I'll stick to science and leave the believing of press, politics, environuts, and oil companies to those who are interested.

Sparrow

Council Member
Nov 12, 2006
Quebec
Don't count on scientists as being motivated by something more than blind greed. How do you think they earn their money? They are getting their moneys from organisations interested in scaring people to the point that we will allow ourselved to be controlled, a perfect example the Kyoto accord. If not why does the accord give certain countries almost a free ride even if they are high polluters.

These scientists would be more believeable if they would also talk about all the elements contributing to global warming. You never hear them mentioned how our climate has changed since the Ice Age and if one of them does they condem him. There is no doubt the climate is warming up, we would have to be blind and stupid not to realize it, but to what extent are we responsible.

Cobalt_Kid

Council Member
Feb 3, 2007
I understand the sciencetific process and that new theories replace old. It wasn't very long ago that there was intense debate over whether or not continental drift occured. Less than 100 years ago the science was that the entire universe was made up of the Milky Way alone. It took Hubble years and some very public battles with his critics before his view prevailed.

You're not going to get every scientist in the world to agree on anything, but the concensous view is shifting more and more towards man-made climate change. Is there doubt...yes and that doubt is being exploited by groups with special interests the same way evolution is questioned by some.

Avro

Time Out
Feb 12, 2007
Oshawa
I'm sure if you paid a scientist enough dough you could get him to deny smoking causes cancer....oh wait....big tobacco already did that.