darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
Clark Raps Harper Government On Mideast

Saturday, February 10 2007 @ 01:25 PM MST

Contributed by: 4Canada By JANICE ARNOLD
Staff Reporter

MONTREAL - Former prime minister Joe Clark pointedly criticized Prime Minister Stephen Harper’s stance on the Israeli-Arab conflict, saying the current Conservative government has put Canada’s “balanced and careful” Middle East foreign policy in jeopardy.

In a Jan. 31 address at McGill University, Clark said Harper made a “mistake” in making withdrawal of support from the Hamas-led Palestinian government his first major foreign policy action after taking office just over a year ago.

Clark also termed “ill-judged” Harper’s strongly pro-Israel position during Israel’s war against Hezbollah in Lebanon last summer.
Clark said he finds “troubling” the Conservative government’s “closeness to the foreign policies of the United States administration” to the exclusion of Canada’s interests in the rest of the world.

Clark was Progressive Conservative prime minister for nine months in 1979-80, and minister of external affairs under prime minister Brian Mulroney from 1984 to 1991.

Since October, he has been a professor of practice for public-private sector partnerships at McGill’s Centre for Developing Area Studies.

He said Harper is moving away from the “constructive role” Canada has developed over the past 25 years in the Middle East under successive Liberal and Progressive Conservative governments, without making clear where he is going.

Canada, he said, worked hard over the years to be a “reliable interlocutor” between Israelis and Arabs. “Not many other countries have that reputation,” he said.

The Harper government, he suggested, appears not to understand the “complexity on the ground… One of the lessons I learned was the Palestinian issue is very much symbolic for the developing world.”

Clark disputed Harper’s opinion, stated in a year-end interview, that Canada has been been “completely absent” from the Middle East in the past decade.

“Apart from being flatly false, that rebuke is even more unsettling as either a warning shot, or an unguarded statement of belief, by the prime minister who so dominates this government.”

He said Harper should acknowledge that he erred, as Clark himself had to do on “one celebrated occasion.” He was referring to the diplomatic crisis he set off just two days after being sworn in as prime minister when he announced Canada would move its embassy from Tel Aviv to Jerusalem, fulfilling a campaign promise.

He quickly dropped the plan in the wake of outrage from the Arab and Islamic world.

Clark interprets sending Foreign Minister Peter MacKay to the Middle East last month as an attempt to “repair the damage of the hard lines” Harper took upon coming into office.

Clark’s address was a broad critique of the Harper government’s foreign policy in general. He said he hoped his remarks would spark public debate on where Harper is taking Canada in the international arena. He said others have similar concerns but are not in a position to raise them openly.

“There has not been much public debate about what motivates the changes, or what their consequences might be. Moreover, there is no evidence that they are the result of advice from the foreign ministry or other customary sources, including the platform or resolutions of Mr. Harper’s party.”

He said Harper is taking too much direction from the Bush administration and letting Canada’s relations with rest of the world deteriorate. This may be shortsighted, he said, because the United States’s reputation and authority is declining in the world, while the relative power of other countries, notably China and India, is growing.

Clark said he has no trouble with a Canadian government being close to the White House, but said that “what is troubling is focusing on one relationship so exclusively.”

http://www.cjnews.com/viewarticle.asp?id=11142

http://www.vivelecanada.ca/article.php?story=20070209232504828

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
Good for him. If there's such a thing as a politician I have more than a smidgeon of respect for, it's Joe Clark. As usual, I saw a few things that I disagree with over the years but I think he's basically a good dood.

Last edited:

mabudon

Metal King
Mar 15, 2006
Golden Horseshoe, Ontario
Yeah, if it does spark some sort of conversation at high levels, or even a national level, that would be good...

I think we'll be seeing "Joe Clark was NOT a Prime Minister" ads sometime real soon tho ;)

This is well-timed, especially after the "mini throne speech" last week which had Harper promising a "more assertive foreign policy", which in and of itself is totally a ludicrous notion- reminds me VERY much of waht Dubya said during the debates in the US in the first Dubya election, about how he promised to "re-forge the US military for the 21st century" and to "redefine the way wars are fought in the 21st century", boasts which got that country waist-deep in Iraq with no hope in sight, and allowed us to jump in to Afghanistan and enjoy a miniature version of the same fate....

An actual open discussion, especially with regards to 1) how much we CAN do, geo-aggresion wise, 2)how much that will cost, 3) how much we are willing to sacrifice and especially, as with any MASSIVE investment, 4) what exactly do WE as a country of people footing the bill for it, get out of it??? Altruism is all well and good and I fully believe in it, but at a national level it is MADNESS and it seems that Harper, Bush and Blair don't see the problem in imposing it on the citizens of the countries they are supposed to be managing

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
What, Clark is upset Hamas was having problems buying bullets for their AKs? This guy is a moron.

As I said elsewhere:
This would be the Joe Clark that couldn't get through law school.

The guy that lost his one chance at governing because he couldn't count.

So he became Lyin' Brian's right hand man.

Supported both the idiotic Meech Lake accord and the disasterous Charlottetown accord.

He hated the prinipled Tories that formed Reform so much (guilt, I suppose.....the hatred of the collaborator for the patriot :icon_smile:) he refused to work in any way to re-unite the Party, thus sounding it's death-knell.

When the new Conservative Party emerged, refused to take his place of influence within the party, and instead threw his support behind the most corrupt government this country has ever seen. (That would be the LIBERALS, don't forget, including Mr. Dion)

My mother, a life-long PC (and Joe Clark fan), was so pissed at him she said at a family gathering "I'd just like to hit him with a stick!" She is 86, and that is the first time I ever heard her wish violence on anyone. Much laughter.

Let me say it again......Clark is not very bright, and is a vindictive little weasel.

To that little rant, let me add that Clark is an absolute hypocrite.......yeah, right........."carefully constructed foreign policy on the Middle East'............like this, perhaps?

It was a remarkably short honeymoon. Just two days after Joe Clark is sworn in as prime minister, he plunges the country into a diplomatic crisis. His government plans to move Canada's embassy in Israel from Tel Aviv to Jerusalem,
http://archives.cbc.ca/IDC-1-73-2149-13104/politics_economy/joe_clark/clip5

Get it straight folks......the idiot Clark is so upset that Harper and the rest of the old Reformers DIDN'T just shut up and put up with Mulrooney's shenanigans (like Clark did) that it has become a psychosis with him.

If Stephen Harper came out against cannibalism, Clark would be dinning on roast toddler that very evening.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
Anyone want to bet that if the liberals ever get back in power we will have Senator Joe Clark talking nonsense.

Sure wouldn't put it past them...........

He would fit there. I mean really, look up "pompous ass" in the dictionary, and there is a picture of Joe.

I have to say though, I can't work up a real sense of disgust with Joe, not like the Liberal Dons, Chretien and Trudeau, who so surely set this nation on the road to irrelevence.......

Joe can't help it he was born without a brain.......

blugoo

Nominee Member
Aug 15, 2006
Oh, Joe...just ride off into the sunset if your dislike of Stephen Harper compels you to say such asinine things.

Joe is seriously on board with funding a terrorist organization with the stated aim of the total destruction of a nation and its people? That's the kind of Canada Joe is calling for?

Joe Clark needs to go take time off, write a book, have a rest....his bitterness is blinding him to what was obviously the right thing to do.