how left/right wing are you?

where do u put yourself on a scale of 1 (extreme left) to 10 (extreme right)?

Votes: 1 2.0%

Votes: 2 4.0%

Votes: 7 14.0%

Votes: 9 18.0%

Votes: 10 20.0%

Votes: 7 14.0%

Votes: 8 16.0%

Votes: 4 8.0%

• Total voters

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
When i did it, I also was 4 squares left, and 6 south! That kinda shocked me...

eh1eh

Blah Blah Blah
Aug 31, 2006
Under a Lone Palm
Libertaian? They seem to have a lot of those quizes. Seen two in the last five minutes.
Good poll Herm, bet there are a heck of a lot of 4's here.

Last edited:

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006

TomG

Electoral Member
Oct 27, 2006
Left 9 and down 5 for me. Just call me a gut level primitive communist and I’ll own that label--as long as nobody calls me a Marxist, or any other kind of ‘ist’ for that matter. What I am suites where I live. It’s a way of life rather than an exercise in applying an ‘ology’ of some sort. I live in a bush municipality of about 250 residents spread over 600 sq miles in a narrow strip along a river.

My bush follows the rules of life in the bush found across most of the world. In the bush, all life is necessity. From Van Der Post’s ‘In a Far Off Place;’ “…no matter how ugly or beautiful it may look to you, everything in the bush has its own right to be there. No one can challenge that right unless compelled by some necessity of life itself. Everything has its own dignity…and we are bound to respect it as we would wish our own life to be recognized and respected. Life in the bush is necessity, and it understands all form of necessity. It will always forgive what is imposed on it. But it will never understand or forgive anything less than necessity…”

Here we do what needs to be done. We take care of each other because there is nobody or anything else to do it, and because each and every one of us is important—here if nowhere else. We survive and prosper together or not al all. Personal likes, family, race, ethnicity and any of the philosophies are irrelevant. Philosophies distract from the immediacies of what must be done. Ideology of any kind numbs the sense of necessity, without which we would perish. We are not a cohesive group, we are simply individuals who are bound together by the place itself. We are here; it is our place. Anybody that doesn’t understand ‘necessity’ doesn’t belong here. I am a relative newcomer. The place has me, I don’t own it. I fit in. I understand necessity.

I include the above to illustrate the limitations of the political compass scale—the designers themselves recognize the limitations.

Where I should be placed on the compass seems to depend of where I live. To live with my values in the city I would have to seek refuge in the mind numbing abstractions of an extreme ideology. Here I can’t live without my values. Here, we all know each other. Our officials are acclaimed rather than elected. If a person seeks personal advantage they can’t escape that they do so at the expense of somebody they know. You know that if your advantage deprives somebody else of necessity then that person dies.

The abstractions of ‘isms,’ ists,’ ‘ologies’ and ‘izations’ belong to the city where personal advantage can ignore ‘necessity’ and allow anonymous killing seen as the virtue of freedom and democracy or free enterprise, or globalization or revolution. Here we can’t afford abstractions, and there aren’t enough of us to be killed for the good and glory of the human race.

For contrived forced orthogonal factors constructed as a heuristic device, I prefer I. Berlin’s negative and positive liberties http://plato.stanford.edu/entries/liberty-positive-negative/, although as Gerald MacCallum observed, there is only one basic concept of freedom.

Curiosity

Senate Member
Jul 30, 2005
California
I wish they had put "middle" on each question...

Economic Left/Right: -3.50
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.77

Chart was too big to print.... I am four squares left of vertical center and three squares below horizontal center

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
And much to the surpize of some, here's Colpy:
The Political Compass

Economic Left/Right: -3.88
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -1.74

thomaska

Council Member
May 24, 2006
Great Satan
And much to the surpize of some, here's Colpy:
The Political Compass

Economic Left/Right: -3.88
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -1.74

I was surprised myself, I was exactly in the middle vertically, and one line down below the horizontal. Apparently, I'm just not the Nazi I thought I was.