Her Maj's first-ever miss

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
Major Erica Bridge has become the first female commanding officer of one of the British Army units that guards the Queen - the King's Troop, Royal Horse Artillery.

She will be in charge of 168 soldiers and 120 horses.

As well as fighting wars it is the unit that carries the coffin of a deceased royal. This last happened when it carried the Queen Mother's coffin during her state funeral in 2002.
-----------------------------------
Her Maj's first-ever miss

By JOHN KAY
January 16, 2007

Army first ... Major Erica will take charge of 168 officers and soldiers and 120 horses

A WOMAN has been made commanding officer of one of the Army units that guards the Queen — for the first time in their 350-year history.

Major Erica Bridge is taking over as CO of the King’s Troop, Royal Horse Artillery.

The 34-year-old will be in charge of 168 officers and soldiers, and 120 horses at their barracks in North West London.

The King’s Troop is one of the top units in the Household Division, which forms the Queen’s bodyguard and is at all state and ceremonial occasions.

Last night Erica, who joined the Royal Artillery and became adjutant of the King’s Troop in 2001, said: “I am absolutely thrilled at taking over as the commanding officer.

“I know I am the first woman CO in the Household Division in 350 years of history. But it makes no difference whether you are a man or a woman to do this job.

King's Troop, Royal Horse Artillery ... top unit

“Above all, I am a soldier and I have always been treated as such by my fellow officers and men.”

Erica — married to a lieutenant colonel in the King’s Royal Hussars with a 15-month-old son — went on: “There have been great changes in the Army over the past few years with greater acceptance of women.

“In fact, now 25 per cent of my fellow officers and troopers under my command are women and they all make first-class soldiers.”

The King’s Troop was formed 60 years ago.

One of its gun carriages always carries coffins of the Royals — the most recent being the Queen Mother.

The King's Troop carry the coffin of the Queen Mother in 2002

Erica, who has served in Northern Ireland, Cyprus, Bosnia and Kosovo, said: “Although we are mainly known as a ceremonial unit, all my men and women are properly trained soldiers. Some are preparing to deploy to places like Kosovo, Iraq and Afghanistan.”

j.kay@the-sun.co.uk

thesun.co.uk