Time to start learning to goose step

RomSpaceKnight

Council Member
Oct 30, 2006
London, Ont. Canada
The new requirements state that the USGS's communications office must be “alerted about information products containing high-visibility topics or topics of a policy-sensitive nature.''

The agency's director, Mark Myers, and its communications office also must be told — prior to any submission for publication — “of findings or data that may be especially newsworthy, have an impact on government policy, or contradict previous public understanding to ensure that proper officials are notified and that communication strategies are developed.''

http://www.livescience.com/forcesofnature/061214_ap_usgs_screening.html

RomSpaceKnight

Council Member
Oct 30, 2006
London, Ont. Canada
Then again I am all for gun control and banning of trans fats in food. When does goverment control or censorship cross over from being for the greater good of society and when is it repressive and serving special interests?

wallyj

just special
May 7, 2006
not in Kansas anymore
Good question.I believe in freedom ,but where does my freedom end and your freedom start. This suppresion of scientific facts/and or opinions is wrong. If I have to vet everything I say through a moderator,then there is not total freedom. But I do realize that there are restrictions everywhere and if I care to post here then I must follow the rules or suffer the consequences.Bush and co. are starting to look desperate.

RomSpaceKnight

Council Member
Oct 30, 2006
London, Ont. Canada
HOW OLD IS THE GRAND CANYON? PARK SERVICE WON’T SAY — Orders to Cater to Creationists Makes National Park Agnostic on Geology

Washington, DC — Grand Canyon National Park is not permitted to give an official estimate of the geologic age of its principal feature, due to pressure from Bush administration appointees. Despite promising a prompt review of its approval for a book claiming the Grand Canyon was created by Noah's flood rather than by geologic forces, more than three years later no review has ever been done and the book remains on sale at the park, according to documents released today by Public Employees for Environmental Responsibility (PEER).

“In order to avoid offending religious fundamentalists, our National Park Service is under orders to suspend its belief in geology,” stated PEER Executive Director Jeff Ruch. “It is disconcerting that the official position of a national park as to the geologic age of the Grand Canyon is ‘no comment.’”

In a letter released today, PEER urged the new Director of the National Park Service (NPS), Mary Bomar, to end the stalling tactics, remove the book from sale at the park and allow park interpretive rangers to honestly answer questions from the public about the geologic age of the Grand Canyon. PEER is also asking Director Bomar to approve a pamphlet, suppressed since 2002 by Bush appointees, providing guidance for rangers and other interpretive staff in making distinctions between science and religion when speaking to park visitors about geologic issues.

http://www.peer.org/news/news_id.php?row_id=801

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
Then again I am all for gun control and banning of trans fats in food. When does goverment control or censorship cross over from being for the greater good of society and when is it repressive and serving special interests?

When government control includes strict gun control it has ALREADY crossed over from being for the greater good to being repressive and serving special interests.

That said, this is ludicrous. The Bush administration has done extensive damage to American liberty already, without trying to dictate the release of harmless scientific findings paid for by the people.

RomSpaceKnight

Council Member
Oct 30, 2006
London, Ont. Canada
Guns impact everyone. Not wearing your seat belt or your helmet won't get someone else killed. Lax gun laws do. Factor out hanguns and Americas murder rate is 1.6 times as bad as Canada's. Factor handguns in and it skyrockets to 14.5 times.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
Guns impact everyone. Not wearing your seat belt or your helmet won't get someone else killed. Lax gun laws do. Factor out hanguns and Americas murder rate is 1.6 times as bad as Canada's. Factor handguns in and it skyrockets to 14.5 times.

You say that, yet you notice that the American murder rate would STILL be higher than ours even if every gun murder was discounted........it is an inner city culture thing.

Here's some shockers for you, but they are facts........

The states along the Canadian border out west have some of the LAXEST gun laws in the United States. No restrictions on "assault" weapons, people allowed to carry concealed handguns, and the highest rates of gun ownership in the USA.

Guess what?

The murder rates in those states are equivalent or LESS than in the Canadian provinces right across the border, despite our strict gun control.

American murder statistics are thrown way off by the incredibly high murder rates in inner cities, where gun laws are often strict.

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
The only thing that'd work with firearms is to keep them out of the hands of idiots and criminals.
Or ban them all. Better ban the top killers first though, things like vehicles (there were about 35,000 vehicle deaths and injuries in 2001), fat (there were 74,626 people die of heart disease in Canada in 2002), processed tobacco, drugs, alcohol, etc. Firearms deaths in Canada in 2000 were 165.

http://ww2.heartandstroke.ca/Page.asp?PageID=33&ArticleID=1077&Src=news&From=SubCategory

http://www.tc.gc.ca/roadsafety/stats/overview/2004/menu.htm

http://www.nationmaster.com/graph/cri_mur_wit_fir-crime-murders-with-firearms

But as usual, people's priorities are all screwed up.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
"The rifle hanging on the wall of a working class flat or a labourer's cottage is the symbol of our democracy, and it is our duty to keep it there" George Orwell.

thomaska

Council Member
May 24, 2006
Great Satan
The new requirements state that the USGS's communications office must be “alerted about information products containing high-visibility topics or topics of a policy-sensitive nature.''

The agency's director, Mark Myers, and its communications office also must be told — prior to any submission for publication — “of findings or data that may be especially newsworthy, have an impact on government policy, or contradict previous public understanding to ensure that proper officials are notified and that communication strategies are developed.''

http://www.livescience.com/forcesofnature/061214_ap_usgs_screening.html

"This is not about stifling or suppressing our science, or politicizing our science in any way,'' Barbara Wainman, the agency's director of communications, said Wednesday. “I don't have approval authority. What it was designed to do is to improve our product flow.''

You kind of goose stepped around this paragraph, does it mean nothing? Or is it just meaningless babble from one of the puppets of the Vast Right Wing Conspiracy?

Zzarchov

House Member
Aug 28, 2006

And to make that math..you are then assuming that if not for a gun they wouldn't find a way to kill each other.

Im told Machettes work pretty well.

I do notice Israel has one of the lowest murder rates (and everyone has a gun), Switzerland is also very low and everyone has a gun there too.

Brazil has incredible strick gun laws and about 15 times the murder rate of Israel.

Its almost like..if people want to kill each other..they will, with or without guns. Hrm..funny thought. That must be why wars and murders happened before the invention of the gun.

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
One of my favorite quotations:
False is the idea of utility that sacrifices a thousand real advantages for one imaginary or trifling inconvenience;
that would take fire from men because it burns, and water because one may drown in it; that has no remedy for evils
except destruction. The laws that forbid the carrying of arms are laws of such a nature. They disarm only those who
are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.
- Cesare Beccaria

Sassylassie

House Member
Jan 31, 2006
L one of the three Caesars of Criminology I believe. I must go dust off my text books to be sure, am I correct? I think I am.

earth_as_one

Time Out
Jan 5, 2006
This new policy is bad for the US over the longterm. If I understand this correctly, the presumption is the bible is a factual document and all science much conform with the biblical facts. This is the same sort of thinking which led to the Pope locking up Copernicus.

MikeyDB

House Member
Jun 9, 2006
Bubba from Saint John NB and ITN believe everything they can read that facilitates supporting the murder of men women and children by the United States, I'm sure there's room in that bloodlust for a few warped facts and misinformation that allows their kind of thinking greater latitude when it comes to killing anyone esle who doesn't see the world their way. Even if that means believing that there was a great flood that created the Grand Canyon and and the "fact" that the world is flat and only around 5000 years old....

People will believe whatever they're told and when a lunatic like George Bush (who has difficulty speaking English) tells the American people that positive proof of Moses basket floating down the Columbia river has been found...there's a Canadian living in New Brunswick and a Yank who will interrupt their celebrations of death and mayhem to point out that "see.....you can believe everything and don't bother questioning the U.S. government about anything....OR ELSE!"

Last edited: