French Muslim schoolgirl stoned in playground for not following Ramadan

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004

France: Schoolgirl Stoned In Playground For Not Observing Ramadan

With a hat-tip to reader Peter C, a truly horrific sign of the times comes from Lyon in the south of France, where a schoolgirl was stoned by Muslim students on Wednesday (October 4), for not following Ramadan. France-Echos reports on the incident, which is described in today's edition of Le Progres a paper serving the Lyon, Villeurbanne and Caluire-et-Cuire region.

This is a translation of the France-Echos report:

A schoolgirl was stoned on Wednesday in playground for non-observance of Ramadan

According to information given by Michèle Vianès, from the Regards de Femmes organization:

The information that I gave Thursday from our cafe Regards de Femmes is in Le Progres today.

A schoolgirl of Jean Mermoz college in Lyon's eighth arrondissement (postal district) was pelted with stones on Wednesday morning in the playground because she ate a snack (Muslims must fast during the month of Ramadan). The argument that the incident stemmed from the non-observance of Ramadan is confirmed by the Lyon prosecutor's office, based on initial results from its investigation.

Azzedine Gaci, president of the CRCM (Regional Council for the Muslim Religion) , states that "if the facts are proven, they are unacceptable". He deplores the ignorance of the pupils, who should be taught the Koran at school, and who are unaware that "women who are not feeling well" * are exempted from observing Ramadan.

Without other commentaries for today, I will keep you updated

Michèle Vianès

The front cover of Le Progres says:

Ramadan fast: A college girl attacked

The attack happened in a recreation moment in the playground of Jean-Mermoz (Lyon 8th). Pupils of the third grade threw stones at an adolescent. The principal of the college said it was a simple incident, not premeditated. But for its side, the Prosecutor's Office of Lyon confirmed in the first stages of an inquiry that this this act could have been linked to the victim not observing the ramadan fast. The incident has provoked strong emotion in the education community.

The story continues on page 7 of the printed edition, which I do not have access to at present. Hopefully on Monday, today's edition will be online and I will update this story.

* Means literally "indisposed", or "out of sorts", and probably is a euphemism for her "time of the month".

Read it in Frenchy here: www.france-echos.com . . .

MikeyDB

House Member
Jun 9, 2006
Thank goodness i took place where it did! Imagine if somone were to get hold of a semi-automatic firearm and go to school and shoot a bunch of pupils!?

As soon as there are as many stories reflecting some degree of barbarism attributable to hckey, bulfights,and pedophiles, it will be wonderful that we can by simply naming the racial or ethnic overtone and eradicate behaviors we don't like instantly!

Sassylassie

House Member
Jan 31, 2006
You are really gripping the rim of reality to use Sports as an analogy for Stoning a little Girl, one is an organized sports the other is a barbaric law the abuses women and children. There is no place for Sharia law in our Country or our Schools, I'm including England as an "Our". Mike are you from the ME because you didn't even flinch when you read about a little girl getting hit over and over with rocks, can you even image how that child felt. No I don't suppose you care, from reading your posts your hatred of the US clouds any emotion you may have for a suffering little girl.