Two Months Before 9/11, an Urgent Warning to Rice

sanch

Electoral Member
Apr 8, 2005
The difficulty with the neocon approach to 9/11 is that history needs to be totally rewritten to accomodate their version. Pre 9/11 Bush was not a nation builder and had no concept of international relations. This is from Bob Woodward's book.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/09/30/AR2006093000282.html

On July 10, 2001, two months before the attacks on the World Trade Center and the Pentagon, then-CIA Director George J. Tenet met with his counterterrorism chief, J. Cofer Black, at CIA headquarters to review the latest on Osama bin Laden and his al-Qaeda terrorist organization. Black laid out the case, consisting of communications intercepts and other top-secret intelligence showing the increasing likelihood that al-Qaeda would soon attack the United States. It was a mass of fragments and dots that nonetheless made a compelling case, so compelling to Tenet that he decided he and Black should go to the White House immediately.

Tenet called Condoleezza Rice, then national security adviser, from the car and said he needed to see her right away. There was no practical way she could refuse such a request from the CIA director.

But Tenet had been having difficulty getting traction on an immediate bin Laden action plan, in part because Defense Secretary Donald H. Rumsfeld had questioned all the National Security Agency intercepts and other intelligence. Could all this be a grand deception? Rumsfeld had asked. Perhaps it was a plan to measure U.S. reactions and defenses.

Tenet had the NSA review all the intercepts, and the agency concluded they were of genuine al-Qaeda communications. On June 30, a top-secret senior executive intelligence brief contained an article headlined "Bin Laden Threats Are Real."

Tenet hoped his abrupt request for an immediate meeting would shake Rice. He and Black, a veteran covert operator, had two main points when they met with her. First, al-Qaeda was going to attack American interests, possibly in the United States itself. Black emphasized that this amounted to a strategic warning, meaning the problem was so serious that it required an overall plan and strategy. Second, this was a major foreign policy problem that needed to be addressed immediately. They needed to take action that moment -- covert, military, whatever -- to thwart bin Laden.
The United States had human and technical sources, and all the intelligence was consistent, the two men told Rice. Black acknowledged that some of it was uncertain "voodoo" but said it was often this voodoo that was the best indicator.

Tenet and Black felt they were not getting through to Rice. She was polite, but they felt the brush-off. President Bush had said he didn't want to swat at flies.

Curiosity

Senate Member
Jul 30, 2005
California
The U.S. is used to all kinds of goofy stuff pre-election days....

Woodward has unseated one president - he is trying for another - but but - the president is not running again.... I guess Woodward is trying to unseat all the "neocons" whatever that means in rhetorical lingo.
His "coming out with yet another novel" is so obvious as to his desperate need to hit another homer.

His reference to Rice as Security Advisor brushing the news off is plain malarky. She was new to the job and certainly would have spent a good deal of time checking with Powell especially a veteran military official as well as other advisors not necessarily sucking up to the administration at all...but as it concerned the protection and defense of the nation itself. Nobody "brushes off" information like that - except in simplistic world of fantasy and fiction.

You weren't paying attention Sanch to the 9/11 Commission headed by Jamie Gorelick - who is famous not for her chair on that commission but for managing to split the intel between the FBI and the
CIA - under Clinton's direction.

Clinton in his paranoid state during those last years, not being an effective "warrior" to settle the impending Taliban - alQaeda crisis, knowing it was the "work of the previous administration - George Bush Senior" - decided he could not compete so he pushed away anything that remotely resembled the necessity of having a conflict....

The bombings in Kenya and Tansania, the first WTC in 1993, the U.S.S. Cole....and so on....all aimed at specifically American targets.... and Clinton did nothing, while he busily gave away military bases and operations to satisfy his voting block....who wanted greenspace and forest preservation....

Back to the topic (sorry I wandered away).... nobody - I repeat - nobody could have in their wildest dreams
imagined what occurred on 9/11. Anyone who was passing that kind of information along to whomever was sitting as President (especially Al Gore), would have taken it and run.......

.....and I ask "Run where?" Away from it of course. Al Gore would have written a whole scenario absolving himself of the disaster.

To have made a public outcry of such information would have been anticipated chaos.. As it turned out the administration was wrong and I might add human. Most humans could not wrap their minds around 9/11 and how madmen could accomplish what was done.

Perhaps next time the people of the U.S. will elect not only a president, but a prophet / soothsayer / adept at seeing the future.

sanch

Electoral Member
Apr 8, 2005
Woodward has impeccable credentials as a journalist. He also cites sources and they could refute what he is saying. If you don't believe what he writes there is not much that can be said.

What appears to be emerging from multiple sources is an administration that did not heed professional advice. This is troubling as none of the major decision makers had any real military experience. We are viewing the consequences of this.

Curiosity

Senate Member
Jul 30, 2005
California
Woodward has impeccable credentials as a journalist. He also cites sources and they could refute what he is saying. If you don't believe what he writes there is not much that can be said.

What appears to be emerging from multiple sources is an administration that did not heed professional advice. This is troubling as none of the major decision makers had any real military experience. We are viewing the consequences of this.

Sanch

I am not questioning Woodward's sources. I am questioning his motives and the topic he has chosen to write about is not a proven breakin at the Watergate "spy ring" offices....it is anecdotal information which can never be compiled into a verifiable, objective, investigative report.

I am sorry - because I agree Woodward is an excellent journalist. His topic however and his charges along with his obvious motive, are biased. To me, that is not good journalism. Journalism seeks to inform....

But as you say there isn't much to be said and yes I disbelieve much of what he writes.

And you say the administration "did not heed professional advice". That is such a strange comment because who would have "professional advice" on the monstrous act committed four times over on 9/11.

Who goes around believing there really are such monsters? We all do now. After the fact.

It has been verified.

Do we believe Hussein's mad ravings as he sits in his court of death? Do we leap in fear that his mad pronouncements
will be visited upon the nation?

It is the same kind of journalism hacking which we get over Ted Kennedy and Chappaquidick.... nobody can say to an absolute certainty what was said or done or not done....and why Mary Jo was left to drown.

Even the players regarding the intel prior to 9/11 are sketchy with their recollections as was demonstrated in much of the testimony during the 9/11 Commission hearings.

sanch

Electoral Member
Apr 8, 2005
Curiosity I supported the war in Afghanistan and I even see the logic of a democratic Iraq. I see now that the war cannot be contained in Afghanistan and that Pakistan is a bigger contributing problem. So Afghanistan well be a loss as well.

but and more buts about execution, especially now that that high level reports are coming out showing that intelligence of all sorts was not minded by the Bush administration. The multiple failures in Iraq is evidence of this.

At some point the actions of the offense (those who were in charge) need to be examined. They have after all lost two wars.

One can scream it's propaganda all they want but this does not change the fact that two wars have now been lost.

Curiosity

Senate Member
Jul 30, 2005
California
Curiosity I supported the war in Afghanistan and I even see the logic of a democratic Iraq. I see now that the war cannot be contained in Afghanistan and that Pakistan is a bigger contributing problem. So Afghanistan well be a loss as well.

but and more buts about execution, especially now that that high level reports are coming out showing that intelligence of all sorts was not minded by the Bush administration. The multiple failures in Iraq is evidence of this.

At some point the actions of the offense (those who were in charge) need to be examined. They have after all lost two wars.

One can scream it's propaganda all they want but this does not change the fact that two wars have now been lost.

Sanch

Regardless of my feisty opinion - I believe the conflicts in the middle east were badly chosen, expensive, and were a result of a neophyte president's particular style. In retrospect Bush Jr. will have to live with the decisions he made either on advice from his own intel gathering, or his knee-jerk reaction to what
happened to the nation on 9/11.

One question I cannot answer to my own satisfaction is this: Should he have done nothing?

In retrospect, playing the pacifist as Bubba opted to do when he had a far greater opportunity to have halted binLaden in his tracks.... perhaps was safer in terms of popularity, but it could have also prolonged the threat, given credibility to the monsters, and created an even more widespread thread to many nations of the world. Bubba knew about binLaden and did nothing. That did not prevent 9/11 from happening either.

The U.S. was not the only nation threatened since 9/11 and other nations not at war in Afghanistan or Iraq experienced terrorism as well. But it is so easy to place the blame on Bush. Frighteningly basic and childish and I find unbecoming from Canadians who are in my mind surprisingly fair and intelligent and kind and make it a point to be knowledgeable.

We have a new kind of war on our heads these days, one in which we cannot reason nor rationalize, and whether we like it or not, we seem to be committed until someone finally says that's enough.... let them take over.... or alternatively drops the big one again in frustration.

Sitting at a table with these creatures, trying to negotiate is impossible. Any ideas?

But returning to Woodward....and all the others who seek to divide the nation while it is severely in a nasty war....I flip a bird - they are unAmerican even though they were born in that nation... they seek to destroy America from within....and I believe they are no better than the monsters of Islamic terrorism.

I hope to god they find an answer soon even if it is withdrawal. There seems to be no answers - but we are dealing with what I believe to be an insanity taught and passed down by generations.

Curiosity

Senate Member
Jul 30, 2005
California
Sanch

I have a correction to make - something which came up in one of those Sunday talk shows - Chris Wallace had a round table discussion about the sharing of information - not only with Rice at the beginning of the Bush administration, but of the deep division under orders from the administration that the FBI and CIA
be restricted as to their sharing.

Apparently the first President to separate the two intel groups was Jimmy Carter during his administration. Not one administration since then made a move to correct it and during the years since
the U.S. was literally an open door to possibility of threat ... which eventually happened.

Gonzo

Electoral Member
Dec 5, 2004
Was Victoria, now Ottawa
Johnny Utah, you say Bob Woodward’s book is propaganda. Can you prove it? Have you read it? Probably not.
The Republicans are scared because people are now questioning what happened. Intelligent people already were, but the radical right had everyone wound up tight in fear. Now average citizens are starting to listen and wonder what happened. So the right wing smear campaign tries to peg it on Clinton. Well, he warned the Republicans, but that interfered in Bush's golf games. Rice and Bush and all those screw ups need a slap in the face. They should also go to jail for war crimes and crimes against humanity. And for negligence causing the deaths of thousands of people, including Americans.

Johnny Utah

Council Member
Mar 11, 2006
Johnny Utah, you say Bob Woodward’s book is propaganda. Can you prove it? Have you read it? Probably not.
The Republicans are scared because people are now questioning what happened. Intelligent people already were, but the radical right had everyone wound up tight in fear. Now average citizens are starting to listen and wonder what happened. So the right wing smear campaign tries to peg it on Clinton. Well, he warned the Republicans, but that interfered in Bush's golf games. Rice and Bush and all those screw ups need a slap in the face. They should also go to jail for war crimes and crimes against humanity. And for negligence causing the deaths of thousands of people, including Americans.

You're name 'Gonzo' says it all.. ;)

blogbart

Oct 1, 2006
911 Press for Truth

These revelations, about pre-911 warnings to the Bush administration, are a focus of the movie 911 Press for Truth.
“We felt the country was at risk from terrorists and from incompetence…and maybe worse.” —Lorie Van Auken, September 11th Widow
Following the attacks of September 11th, a small group of grieving families waged a tenacious battle against those who sought to bury the truth about the event—including, to their amazement, President Bush. In ‘9/11 PRESS FOR TRUTH’, six of them, including three of the famous “Jersey Girls”, tell for the first time the powerful story of how they took on the greatest powers in Washington—and won!—compelling an investigation, only to subsequently watch the 9/11 Commission fail in answering most of their questions.

Adapting Paul Thompson’s definitive Complete 9/11 Timeline (published by HarperCollins as ‘The Terror Timeline’), the filmmakers collaborate with documentary veterans Globalvision (‘WMD: Weapons of Mass Deception’, ‘Beyond JFK’) to stitch together rare overlooked news clips, buried stories, and government press conferences, revealing a pattern of official lies, deception and spin. As a result, a very different picture of 9/11 emerges, one that raises new and more pressing questions.
What actions were taken by top government officials who received dozens of specific warnings before the attack? Was Osama Bin Laden and his top al Qaeda leadership allowed to escape U.S. forces in Afghanistan? And what has been the reason for the deliberate obscuring of evidence for state sponsorship? Perhaps the most important one of all: Why, five years later, are so many of the families’ questions still unanswered?

http://www.911pressfortruth.com/

blogbart

Oct 1, 2006
Complete 911 Timeline - to help keep the facts straight

Complete 911 Timeline - Open-Content project managed by Paul Thompson

http://www.cooperativeresearch.org/project.jsp?project=911_projecthttp://www.cooperativeresearch.org/index.jsp

This timeline consists of mainstream media reports (no nutty conspiracy links here guys) to help readers keep the facts straight because the Condi is wiggling like a hooked trout, NORAD/US military, FAA stories keep changing, all to fit the political situation.

Complete 911 Timeline categories include:

Before 9/11

Soviet-Afghan War (16)
Warning Signs (265)
Insider Trading (39)
Counterterrorism Before 9/11 (240)
Military Exercises (54)
Hunt for bin Laden (87)
Pipeline Politics (57)

Day of 9/11

All Day of 9/11 Events (460)
Flight AA 11 (70)
Flight UA 175 (53)
Flight AA 77 (78)
Flight UA 93 (114)
George Bush (66)
Dick Cheney (24)
Donald Rumsfeld (27)
Richard Clarke (22)

Financing of Al-Qaeda: A More Detailed Look

Al Taqwa Bank (19)
BMI and Ptech (19)

Geopolitics and 9/11

Pakistani ISI (142)
Saudi Arabia (127)
Bin Laden Family (44)
Al Qaeda Financing (141)
Israel (36)
Iraq (49)
US Dominance (50)

Investigations: A Detailed Look

9/11 Congressional Inquiry (24)
9/11 Commission (47)
WTC Investigation (57)

Other Al-Qaeda Operatives

Al-Qaeda in Germany (56)
Mamoun Darkazanli (17)
Osama bin Laden (28)
Khalid Shaikh Mohammed (35)
Zacarias Moussaoui (51)
Nabil al-Marabh (33)
Ali Mohamed (51)

Projects and Programs

Phoenix Memo (19)
Able Danger (57)
Randy Glass (7)
Robert Wright and Vulgar Betrayal (64)
Sibel Edmonds (8)
Remote Surveillance (30)

The Alleged 9/11 Hijackers

Alhazmi and Almihdhar (86)
Marwan Alshehhi (61)
Mohamed Atta (106)
Ziad Jarrah (17)
Hani Hanjour (33)
Other 9/11 Hijackers (63)

The ISI: A More Detailed Look

Saeed Sheikh (40)
Mahmood Ahmed (15)
Drugs (26)

The Post-9/11 World

Denials (21)
Afghanistan (96)
Escape From Afghanistan (48)
Investigations (251)
War on Terrorism (46)
Civil Liberties (46)
Media (33)
Other events (61)

Warning Signs: Specific Cases

1993 WTC bombing (21)
1998 US Embassy Bombings (40)
2000 USS Cole Bombing (18)
Bojinka (19)
Foreign Intelligence Warnings (29)

Period

1979-Dec. 2000

2001-9/11

The day of 9/11

9/11-Dec.2001

2002-Present

Articles

Alhazmi and Almihdhar: The 9/11 Hijackers Who Should Have Been Caught

An Interesting Day: President Bush's Movements and Actions on 9/11

Is There More to the Capture of Khalid Shaikh Mohammed Than Meets the Eye?

Katrina Timeline - First installment

Sept. 11's Smoking Gun: The Many Faces of Saeed Sheikh

The Failure to Defend the Skies on 9/11

The Two Ziad Jarrahs

Videos

Interview with Paul Thompson on Fox News Affilliate

Randy Glass Video

Miscellanous Pages

Correction to timeline entries containing erroneous information about Khalid bin Mahfouz

Correction to timeline entries containing erroneous information about Mohammed Hussein Al Amoudi

Help Needed

Links

Tracking the Terror

Curiosity

Senate Member
Jul 30, 2005
California
Ah yes academia's contribution....

Yet another Journalism 101 cum Ethics/Philosphy class at work.... and they do work so very hard....

Loved this condescending addition:
This timeline consists of mainstream media reports (no nutty conspiracy links here guys) to help readers keep the facts straight because the Condi is wiggling like a hooked trout, NORAD/US military, FAA stories keep changing, all to fit the political situation.

Wear your flak jacket when you leave home now y'hear? They're out to get you....

Last edited:

Johnny Utah

Council Member
Mar 11, 2006
Ah yes academia's contribution....

Yet another Journalism 101 cum Ethics/Philosphy class at work.... and they do work so very hard....

Loved this condescending addition:

Wear your flak jacket when you leave home now y'hear? They're out to get you....

He should watch out for the Black Helicopters too.. :rolleyes:

MattUK

Electoral Member
Aug 11, 2006
UK
Slightly off tangent, but something that makes me laugh about all this "Spreading Democracy to the Middle East". We have Tosser Tony and Gormless Gordon spouting that we need to deliver democracy to these people, make sure that their governments are "100% Democratic and 0% Faschist(sp?)".

Does someone want to point out to the Right Honerable Gentleman that Britain itself is not a Democracy?