Bob Woodward on teh Bush White House

sanch

Electoral Member
Apr 8, 2005
http://www.nytimes.com/2006/09/30/b...7bcfda57099&hp&ex=1159675200&partner=homepage

“It was only one example of a visitor to the Oval Office not telling the president the whole story or the truth. Likewise, in these moments where Bush had someone from the field there in the chair beside him, he did not press, did not try to open the door himself and ask what the visitor had seen and thought. The whole atmosphere too often resembled a royal court, with Cheney and Rice in attendance, some upbeat stories, exaggerated good news and a good time had by all.” Were the war in Iraq not a real war that has resulted in more than 2,700 American military casualties and more than 56,000 Iraqi civilian deaths, the picture of the Bush administration that emerges from this book might resemble a farce. It’s like something out of “The Daily Show” or a “Saturday Night Live” sketch, with Freudian Bush family dramas and high-school-like rivalries between cabinet members who refuse to look at one another at meetings being played out on the world stage.

There’s the president, who once said, “I don’t have the foggiest idea about what I think about international, foreign policy,” deciding that he’s going to remake the Middle East and alter the course of American foreign policy. There’s his father, former President George Herbert Walker Bush (who went to war against the same country a decade ago), worrying about the wisdom of another war but reluctant to offer his opinions to his son because he believes in the principle of “let him be himself.” There’s the president’s national security adviser whining to him that the defense secretary won’t return her phone calls. And there’s the president and Karl Rove, his chief political adviser, trading fart jokes.

And these are the people who conspired to create 9/11. Not a chance.

One does have to worry about what Harper is trying to emulate.

Topaz

Mar 26, 2006
You should read other books on the White House like by the people who were part of the staff. I've read one by O'Neill. the first Treasurer for Bush before they decided he had to go. He said from the first meeting Rummy and others were trying to figure out how to invade and take out Hussein. The other staffer soon realized that O'neill wasn't with them on it and wouldn't talk about this plan in front of him. O'neill also, meeting with Bush were basically him asking Bush a questions and Bush not saying much and this was so different from the other Presidents he had worked for. He expected Bush to ask questions on the economy Bush wasn't saying much to him. The more I read the book the more I was beginning to believe that Bush is a "puppet" president and Cheney, Wolfman, Libby, Rove Rice and Rummy were telling him what to do. Bush has said he let the military tell him what needs to be done and he authorizes it.

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
Minnesota: Gopher State
There has never been a USA regime ... oops, I mean, administration, where so many people have defected from it and written books that are critical of it.

Yet, Bush still has his defenders who, in defiance of all logic and common sense, insist that he is the closest thing to God and that he can do no wrong.

Bar Sinister

Executive Branch Member
Jan 17, 2010
Edmonton

Danbones

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 23, 2015
LOL, woodward fakenewsed his quotes.

Whattafahg

Like his supporters, that's even LOWER than plagiarism.

Danbones

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 23, 2015
Racist guy does not like unmentioned inaccuracy.

Well, IMHO, the racist comment was unnecessary, unless it is being applied to someone who inaccurately uses the word "Nigger" the way you do.

Hoid

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 15, 2017
Woodward book has already sold out its initial printing.

Biggest book of the year.

Bar Sinister

Executive Branch Member
Jan 17, 2010
Edmonton
Tax cuts , two Supreme Court justices , record black and Latino labor participation, nothing .

Alienation of all US allies
Unwinnable trade wars
Promotion of racism and misogyny
Nomination of an accused rapist
Massive increase of the federal deficit
Disfunctional administration

And the Latinos and Blacks are going to vote Democrat

Do you count negatives as accomplishments? If so then I concede Trump has accomplished a lot.

pgs

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 29, 2008
B.C.
Alienation of all US allies
Unwinnable trade wars
Promotion of racism and misogyny
Nomination of an accused rapist
Massive increase of the federal deficit
Disfunctional administration

And the Latinos and Blacks are going to vote Democrat

Do you count negatives as accomplishments? If so then I concede Trump has accomplished a lot.
Well time will tell . If I wanted the state to be my mother I would surely vote Democrat . Maybe enough people want that .

Bar Sinister

Executive Branch Member
Jan 17, 2010
Edmonton
Well time will tell . If I wanted the state to be my mother I would surely vote Democrat . Maybe enough people want that .

Why would you vote for another conservative party? Oh, I forgot, the US completely lacks choice so far as left wing parties are concerned.