U.S. report says Iraq war has fueled terror threat

catman

Electoral Member
Sep 3, 2006
http://www.cnn.com/2006/WORLD/meast/09/24/iraq.main/index.html

BAGHDAD, Iraq (CNN) -- A classified intelligence report concludes that the Iraq war has worsened the terrorist threat to the United States, U.S. officials told CNN Sunday.

Some intelligence officials have said as much in the past, but the newly revealed document is the first formal report on global trends in terrorism by the National Intelligence Estimate, which is put out by the National Intelligence Council.

The White House Sunday said a New York Times report on the document "is not representative of the complete document."

Beyond that, the White House said it does not comment on classified documents.

Intelligence officials told CNN the report, completed five months ago, said the war and the insurgency are the main recruiting vehicles for new Islamic extremists.

The extremists communicate through various Islamic Web sites and share an ideology with al Qaeda, the officials said.

The document has not been shared with senators because it is classified, U.S. Senate Majority Leader Bill Frist, R-Tennessee, told ABC's "This Week."

Sen. John McCain, R-Arizona, told CBS' "Face the Nation" that, while he knows nothing about the report, it would not be surprising if the Iraq war was a rallying point for terrorists.

No surprise here. The US invasion of Iraq has not made the world any safer.

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
Minnesota: Gopher State
Interesting how no Bush lover in the pro-war crowd has expressed any reservations about this report. Perhaps it's because they know its truth is beyond reproach.

Yes, the truth does hurt.

humanbeing

Electoral Member
Jul 21, 2006
Yes, I don't really doubt that it has probably made more terrorists. The whole idea of using large amounts of violence against other violence really doesn't make as much sense to me as it seems to for others. Of course, stopping terrorism was never the intent of this war, so it hardly needs to be said that it was a failure in that regard.

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
"stopping terrorism never was the intent ..."

True. But Bush and his warmongering supporters continue to promote the myth as if it was Divinely ordained Gospel Truth.

Macguy

Apr 15, 2006
Newfoundland
Bush will be remembered as worst US President

There should certainly be no doubt by now that the US has done a great job of creating a world full of terrorists. This has been accomplished by three or four of the stupedist people at the top of the American administration. Bush is certainly a very stupid and ignorant man who desire it appears is to distable the world and he is well on his way. The recent poll in the US about wheather the Americans believe or disbelieve that terror has increased since 9/11 came back with the result that only 26 percent of Americans think that it has. with somethink like 14 percent not knowing and the remaining 60 percent thinking that it has been reduced. These people have to be the most ignorant asses and the same people who supported Bush in the election. These right wing morons listen to Bush's propaganda about these wars being some kind of godly mission and go to church and pray for more slaughter.

Macguy

ps. My blood pressure must reach something like 500psi when I see Bush on TV waving a dainty hand at his admirers.

thomaska

Council Member
May 24, 2006
Great Satan
http://www.cnn.com/2006/WORLD/meast/09/24/iraq.main/index.html

No surprise here. The US invasion of Iraq has not made the world any safer.

Of course its a rallying point for terrorists. I don't think this was ever about making the world safer. Its about making us safer. As lonf as were killing terrorists there, and not here in my backyard in Colorado, it is fine by me.

I bet that post should go over well here in these forums...

catman

Electoral Member
Sep 3, 2006
....and how exactly are these Jihadists going to get from the Middle East to America?

Better spend the money wasted in Iraq on guarding your borders and coast lines.

Johnny Utah

Council Member
Mar 11, 2006
This report could have been about Afghanistan had the United States not invaded Iraq because the Jihadists would have come to Afghanistan to battle the United States Military..

venomous1

Jul 29, 2004
Kitchener
The bigger news story should have been that the U.S. government finally knows what the rest of the world knew before this war started.

I have to shake my head at the things I hear come out of the average american's citizen's mouth to justify their interference in the affairs of other nations. Like it is some God-given right of theirs. The need of the American powers that be to spread their version of Democracy around the world parallels the need of the Islamic extremist to spread their version of Islam around the world. Neither one sees that they don't have the right to impose their will beyond their borders.

ponygurl

Nominee Member
Jun 3, 2004
Ottawa
What do you all suppose the US should do? Send gold embossed invitations to the bastards that blew their fellow countrymen all to Hell when those planes hit the towers?

Or are you followers of the black helicopter thinking that Bush masterminded the attacks?

Surely you have all learned about how the world had to pitch together to squash Hitler. The problem is not the US invasion, but the lack of support the rest of the world has shown for the US troops.

venomous1

Jul 29, 2004
Kitchener
What do you all suppose the US should do? Send gold embossed invitations to the bastards that blew their fellow countrymen all to Hell when those planes hit the towers?

Or are you followers of the black helicopter thinking that Bush masterminded the attacks?

Surely you have all learned about how the world had to pitch together to squash Hitler. The problem is not the US invasion, but the lack of support the rest of the world has shown for the US troops.

Why do you think "the rest of the world" has shown little support... (and let me correct you here... its not against the U.S. troops..they are just following orders - Its U.S. foreign policy) Why do you think the rest of the world is criticizing the actions of United States... Could they be wrong. Consensus is????

As for Hitler... Puleeeaze.. the U.S. was the last country to join the fight against Hitler so really what can Americans tell the rest of the world about the lessons learned there.

As sad as the attacks against the Twin towers were... the sympathy of the world ends when Americans forget that many of its foreign policies have also cost many innocent human beings their lives... Iran/Contra, Viet Nam, etc....Remember thoses innocents as well!!

ponygurl

Nominee Member
Jun 3, 2004
Ottawa
Why do you think "the rest of the world" has shown little support... (and let me correct you here... its not against the U.S. troops..they are just following orders - Its U.S. foreign policy) Why do you think the rest of the world is criticizing the actions of United States... Could they be wrong. Consensus is????

As for Hitler... Puleeeaze.. the U.S. was the last country to join the fight against Hitler so really what can Americans tell the rest of the world about the lessons learned there.

As sad as the attacks against the Twin towers were... the sympathy of the world ends when Americans forget that many of its foreign policies have also cost many innocent human beings their lives... Iran/Contra, Viet Nam, etc....Remember thoses innocents as well!!
The attacks will not stop unless the attackers are stopped. If Canada had been attacked, you wouldn't (I hope) be suggesting they should lay down and roll over.

I have not forgotten any innocents..I guess I am not the "Rest of the world" and i know many Canadians who are not.

Said1

Hubba Hubba
Apr 18, 2005
Das Kapital

What actually US policies with respect to the ME are you referring to, specifically? I'm not a doubting Thomas, just interested in what yer readin and who's writing it.

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
`` the truth doesn't hurt unless it ought to ``

and in this case, it should!

Logic 7

Council Member
Jul 17, 2006
Of course its a rallying point for terrorists. I don't think this was ever about making the world safer. Its about making us safer. As lonf as were killing terrorists there, and not here in my backyard in Colorado, it is fine by me.

I bet that post should go over well here in these forums...

Pretty ignorant and paranoid post,