Solution in Afghanistan is Not Working

Salaam

Sep 5, 2006
The Solution in Afghanistan is not working at this very moment. The policy of search and destroy, has only been effective in adding more recruits tothe Taliban, resulted in no reconstruction in the South of the country and the killing of valuable teachers, village leaders and others who support the American and Nato backed government, and finally the rise in poppy production.

And then the States has the nerve to blame the local governments for poppy production skyrocketing when it should have been once of their policies in eradicating the drug and providing the Afghan government enough resources to help the civilians who farm this.

In 2003, the NATO and U.S governments said that the Taliban had a few hundred fighters at the most, after many campaigns over the last few years, thousands of Taliban have supposedly been killed but the Taliban still have large number of forces and strike at civilians daily.

So either the U.S underlooked the taliban in "western-arrogance" and is now paying the price for it with its blood, with Canadian blood and british blood, or they killed less Taliban in these "successful" campaigns and may have killed a bunch of civilians and claimed them as Taliban.

And finally, Lewis Mackenzie in a CTV interview basically stated that the support of the Afghanistan mission was to support a pipeline, and then as almost a sidethought he said "and to help the afghan people". So there is a communication issue with NATO and the Americans in what their objectives are and what they have seriously done in Afghanistan in the past five years.

To conclude, we can see this in hindsight. However, we can't let the Taliban back into power even with all the bungling actions of NATO and America. So what should we do.

First, provide resources to the Afghan government and directly to the Afghan farmers who grow the poppies. Send in a task force or any kind of force that deals directly with the poppy issue alongside an Afghani Department.

Second, create real construction in the south, and in the rest of the country. Schools, hospitals, roads, buildings. why should people still be living in Afghanistan in bombed out buildings in kabul if it is so peaceful and wonderful.

Thirdly, have a third force that will deal with renege Taliban, Al-Qaida and others. If necessary. And finally negotiate with the Taliban who want to surrender and go back to their homes because this is not going to be a military victory because if Western armies have never defeated Afghanistan in its history, why would this one?

iARTthere4iam

Electoral Member
Jul 23, 2006
Pointy Rocks
I don't think that anyone is trying to defeat afghanistan. The Afghan government has said that it wants the foreigners (NATO and the rest) to be there. If they decide that they don't want us there all they have to do is tell us to leave. The Taliban who want to surrender should be allowed to do so.
The main problem is that these militaries can't be everywhere all the time and as soon as they leave the militants move in to punish Afghans who helped Nato forces. We have to show the Afghans what they are working towards and get foreign militants to leave and not use this country as a balltle ground.

athabaska

Electoral Member
Dec 26, 2005
I'm not thrilled with Canadians being in Afghanistan but it may be the lesser of bad choices. The Taliban type groups are on the defensive and have no real ability to mount an offensive of meaning outside of their borders. I don't, however, think we should be involved in the internal struggle in Afghanistan to support one group against another. Are we supporting democracy? I doubt it is in the end rather than supporting one power group against another. I'd rather have a policy of containment of hostile muslim regimes. Draw a line in the sand and make it clear that they don't dare step a toe over or NATO forces will hit them with overwhelming force. We had Sadam on the ropes for over a decade and he was no threat to us. I view Afghanistan as the same.

Having said this, however, I have a hard time understanding exactly what is expected (as oposed to the phony 'hope') to be accomplished in Afghanistan. 98% of Canadians couldn't point the country out on a map and White Man's burden and nation building shouldn't be our mandate. It's nice if girls can go to school, etc. but it's 2006, colonialism is over and that's not why Canadian soldiers should be killed. We have 'warm' relations with other Muslim countries that treat women as property and second class citizens.

Salaam

Sep 5, 2006
Re: RE: Solution in Afghanistan is Not Working

iARTthere4iam said:
I don't think that anyone is trying to defeat afghanistan. The Afghan government has said that it wants the foreigners (NATO and the rest) to be there. If they decide that they don't want us there all they have to do is tell us to leave. The Taliban who want to surrender should be allowed to do so.
The main problem is that these militaries can't be everywhere all the time and as soon as they leave the militants move in to punish Afghans who helped Nato forces. We have to show the Afghans what they are working towards and get foreign militants to leave and not use this country as a balltle ground.

Name the number of Taliban tha have been killed so far in these operations that are foreign. You would lucky to find if the Taliban deaths are Pakistani.

The Taliban are local, and once people get it that local people are unhappy of NATO and American policies so far and they have to change. Then nothing will change.

Well America and Canada and NATO created this mess when they overthrew the Taliban in the "War on Terrorism" and The Fight for Democracy, so they have to clean up their mess, or they will be hated everywhere they go, not just some places.

Zzarchov

House Member
Aug 28, 2006
stopping Afghanis from growing poppy fields is impossible, they will always be worth more than any other crop, notice how in Canada we can't stop pot farms?

Salaam

Sep 5, 2006
This is not Marijuna. This is Heroin and other narcotics. If they established aid to start building other crops, and preapre a future for these other crops.

hermanntrude

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Jun 23, 2006
Newfoundland!
Salaam said:
This is not Marijuna. This is Heroin and other narcotics. If they established aid to start building other crops, and preapre a future for these other crops.

Salaam i think u need to check your engish grammar. "If" is a word that requires a "then". for instance "IF a hedgehog crosses a road, THEN there's a chance he may get run over".

in your statement you have stated the if part but not the then part. i'd be interested to know what you think would happen IF aid was established to grow other crops. In my opinion, people would ignore it and continue to sell poppies at vast profits.

Doryman

Electoral Member
Nov 30, 2005
St. John's
Re: RE: Solution in Afghanistan is Not Working

Salaam said:
Well America and Canada and NATO created this mess when they overthrew the Taliban in the "War on Terrorism" and The Fight for Democracy, so they have to clean up their mess, or they will be hated everywhere they go, not just some places.

That's exactly why the NATO forces are still there.... so what are you complaining about?